Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What some think is a "Proper" 40s look...

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Thanks for posting this! Man... I've really messed up my site by not offering a reproduction of this Authentic Suit! I could replicate this for around $600. It might be tricky to get the fit just right... but I'm sure with a little of work I could get it perfect. :eek: :D

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
I don't think it has a real waist band... I think it's a stretchy kind, like on "Hammer Pants" lol Still would be wrong

Here's a link to the original page... it's silly.:rolleyes:

http://www.swingjive.co.uk/SwingShop.html
Pretty much,...but this one looks pretty cool. :)
ZootSuit.jpg
[/IMG]

Geesie

Practically Family
Geez, I remember one or two people wearing something like that (the original post's abomination) to my high school prom. Looked like complete asses. I'm still happy I went with standard black tie - I can look back at those pictures and not cringe!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Logically, I really think the zoot suit is poised to make a comeback right about now. The enormous pants and T-shirts of recent years are merely a reflection of the zoot suit after all. So why not take the enormous pants and shirts into the realm of high fashion and out of the casual once again? :)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, they are very popular with the High School kids at Proms and other social dances. Sad to say they're not very authenticly styled, mostly just baggy tuxes.

A true Zoot Suit is something I appreciate, but most of them I see are very corny.

Maguire

Practically Family
That isn't a suit, that looks like some kind of stacy adams creation except even more ridiculous (the stacy adams suits at least work on the models they are on).

I've only seen a few pictures of real zoot suits from the 30s and 40s and none of them look as ridiculous as the ones they show today. Were they really that loudly colored?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
There is an undercurrent of zoot suits in the Southern California area.

Here is one place the offers some, i don't know how authentic they are, but they sure seem better than that Halloween outfit.
http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shopping/Catalog/zootsuit.asp?wf=0&vall=1
Honestly, if forced to make a choice I would wear one of the zoots before I would wear a fire engine red, canary yellow, pink, or lime green "regular" suit. :rolleyes:
The time is now for the return of the zoot suit! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe