Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Size Hat To Buy

BayouBeard

New in Town
My head measures almost right on 22" (56cm) which is a size 7. If I pull the tape snug it falls just under the 22" inch mark. Is that the size I should order, or should I go up to a 7 1/8 to account for shrinkage?

viclip

Practically Family
Go the 1/8 size higher. There's nothing more miserable than an over-tight hat & since leather sweatbands tend to shrink a bit you need to compensate as you already appreciate. You can always stuff white felt strips or similar behind the sweat pending the 7-1/8 conforming to your actual head shape. Even if the hat doesn't shrink all the way down to attain perfect fitment, slightly bigger is always better than too small.

barrowjh

One Too Many
I disagree, stick with your measurement, which seems to be a size 7. You will need to buy a stretcher (retainer nowadays) anyway because after a sweat-soaking you will need to put a slight tension on any size to keep it from shrinking, and you can also use that stretcher to push that 7 out a little bit if needed. A hat that is one size too big will ALWAYS be one size too big; using foam strips to make it fit will still result in a hat that wears you better than you wear it (will always look like you are wearing your big brother's hat). As long as you do not have to push it more than half-way between 7 and 7 1/8th, the size 7 will likely suit you better than the 7 1/8th. Getting your size right is a source of frustration for all of us in the beginning; I started out thinking I was a 7 1/4 and eventually learned I was a bit smaller than a full 7 1/8th. I never wear the 7 1/4 hats I originally purchased; I sold most of them. So, you are not alone in trying to deal with this issue.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Same here - I hate having foam strips and stuff in my hats.

I got a bandblock the size and shape of my head (from Art Fawcett) and if any hats are a little snug they sit there for a few days and are perfect.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I don't like putting strips behind the sweat either. They never seem to fit right. I'm a Long Oval, so it's hard to find a hat to fit me, unless I buy a LO vintage in my size or resize one myself.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you and I are in a similar boat. I say go for the 7. 22" is the measurement I send to custom hatters. I wear size 7, 56, and 4 1/2 in Borso sizing. Sometimes I get 6 7/8ths hats and have them resized.

BayouBeard

New in Town

viclip

Practically Family
The Caribou Stetson was a 7 1/8. It fit loose but didn't move on my head when shook side to side and didn't fall off when I bent over. The dark grey Belfry is a Small...and is well...too small. I believe it goes up to a 6 7/8.

In my experience Stetsons tend to be a bit on the large size; other hats such as Borsalinos tend to run a bit small. It sounds like the Stetson fit you pretty well & I'd tend to govern myself accordingly. I realize that you've gotten opinions on both sides of the fence here. Probably the best advice that I can give is for you to try on the hat you intend to acquire but if like me you must order hats on-line, then ensure that the seller has a fair & liberal return/exchange policy.

In closing, personally I prefer a hat that's a bit loose, into which I can then on a one-shot basis insert a spacer behind the sweat. For me anyways there's a huge PITA factor associated with a tight hat that I then have to constantly be stretching or blocking to maintain continued fitment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe