Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Not exactly carrying, but I bought these two today (along with the cufflinks) and briefly used both: 2 1940s/1950s mechanical pencils and a pair of 1950s MoP cufflinks:
002-12.jpg

001-11.jpg

The upper of the two is a working "The Conway 50", which I assume makes it a Conway Stewart, whilst the other is a Pen-Cil-Scope, which acts as a two-in-one pencil and ballpoint pen, although only the pencil half is currently working. This I assume is American, as I have seen a 1951 F.A.O. Schwarz toy catalogue in which a sterling silver example, boxed, retailed for $6. The Conway is definitely a keeper for as long as I can find leads for it, the other and the cufflinks probably not, but interesting to have a good look at all the same.

If there is any remaining lead for your pencil do not use it! You will need to keep a piece on hand to try to match the size if it is a discontinued item.

The same with the ball point the refill on an old model can be more than difficult to find, however several pen guys out there continue to work on modifying current production refills to fit older pens.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Thanks for the warning John! The Pen-Cil-Scope I am likely to pass on, so I am leaving strictly alone. The Conway (definitely a keeper) I have found will take Yard-O-Led leads so should be fine. I bought a dozen from a good stationers the following day (for three times the cost of the pencil!) and then yesterday when browsing in a vintage store, as well as some snap cufflinks (a pair and a spare) I found a vintage white metal lead container with half a dozen leads of the correct size in it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today's pen is a 1946 English-made Parker Duofold in jet black. Button-filler.

I'm told by reliable sources that this pen is quite rare. This particular model was only produced in black for one year, which is how I was able to date it.

I confess a fetish for cufflinks.

Anthony, those are beautiful!

Doublegun

Practically Family
How do you store your pens when not carrying/using them? Over the past couple of months I have managed to acquire several nice FP's and now I need to know how to keep them nice.

Thanks,

JDG

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Buy a pen-case or a pen-cabinet/chest. And just put them in there, lying down in neat little rows.

But then, you need to buy MORE pens to fill in the gaps...

But you'll buy too many pens.

So that means you have some leftover.

So you need another box. But then you need MORE pens to fill in the gaps in that one.

Then you have another which a friend gives you as a birthday present. So you need another box...

...It's a neverending cycle.

How do you store your pens when not carrying/using them? Over the past couple of months I have managed to acquire several nice FP's and now I need to know how to keep them nice. Thanks, JDG

There are a variety of cases for pens. They are often wood and glass with felt or velvet lined slots for each pen.

http://www.woodpenpro.com/pen_boxes/index.html

I have cases from Levenger's and even the crafts store Michael's has had some now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe