Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think cellphones have been a great invention. Their use, on the other hand, has not. I understand the appeal and importance of these things. But as others have said, I really hate that you are expected to have it on all the time, and charged all the time, and...oh forget it.

Don't even get me started on texting.

A friend of mine sent me three texts in one day and I never read a single one. I never check my phone for texts. On the other hand, I have an email-address which he knew, and which I check every day. He should've just sent me an email...

I dunno.

ortega76

Practically Family
Until a month ago, my cell phone was a simple flip phone. I rarely made calls (except to my wife) and as a SAHD I needed to make sure I could make a call in an emergency. The smart phones are not so great here in Chicago for that. I got an iPhone and I find I NEVER call anyone or receive calls. It's all texts. I DO like sharing pictures of my daughter with my folks and wife. That's pretty neat.

Effingham

A-List Customer
It is a vast improvement over the American P-38 can opener. It may be of little use as a spoon but the spoon portion makes it much easier to use as a can opener because it is big enough to get a good grip. Anyone who has ever tyied to open a #10 can with a P-38 will know what I mean. Sometimes the things that make a device bad for one thing can provide more benefit in another way.

I dunno, I've opened a few cans with MY P-38:

gun4-P38.jpg

Bottles, too. ;)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Cell phones have their purpose where I work, simply because we can use them to take pictures of something.
If a driver is involved in an accident, they can take pictures and email them, instead of having someone come out to their location, which burns up a lot of time for all involved, especially the cops. If there is a dispute as to who's at fault, a representative will go out, but this saves fuel and time when its not neccessary.
As for incessant talking about who did what last night, or who their favorite "american idol is" I agree, the cell phone has become a nuisance.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I had some idiot woman just about nail me this afternoon driving across a parking lot with a cell phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other, and no hand, presumably, on the wheel. And yet she was driving one of these bulbous SUV's with $5000 worth of hi-tech safety features. Oh the incongruity.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
It is a vast improvement over the American P-38 can opener. It may be of little use as a spoon but the spoon portion makes it much easier to use as a can opener because it is big enough to get a good grip. Anyone who has ever tyied to open a #10 can with a P-38 will know what I mean. Sometimes the things that make a device bad for one thing can provide more benefit in another way.
I dunno, I've opened a few cans with MY P-38:
Bottles, too.
That is why I specified can opener. Young soldiers today do not know what I am talking about when I am talking to a friend about what our rations were like before. We get a good laugh when the young guys claim that they were issued a WWII dated MRE while they were in the desert.

It's funny, we have often been accused of lying about not owning one! It is normally people older than us who tell us they can't remember life with out them. Well, I do and I am only 27. Some people try to text our home phone number when we give it to them. Sure they do have their uses, but in my opinion they have overall been a hindrance to communication between folks rather than a help.

I purchased a cellphone after I had two blowouts in town and had to search high and low to find a public phone. I have never come close to using my minutes and do not have texting. Most who know me know that I hate talking on phones and that I will make any conversation a short one. Convenience is my reason for having a phone of any sort.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I only see 20 pages -- maybe you guys have machines that can see into the future, or maybe there's some kind of weird cache thing going on? Try clearing your cache, refresh, and see if that makes a difference. Or if you do have computers that see into the future, please let me know tomorrow night's Megabucks numbers.

Hey Scotty a few of the threads seem to do the same sort of thing I think its one of those modern inventions that are here to annoy us,they call it a computer(haha)

I had noticed that as well, but this one seems to jump a few pages ahead more than the others. I see page 24 while 20 is as far as I can go. Maybe I don't have the proper clearance needed.
:D

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I had noticed that as well, but this one seems to jump a few pages ahead more than the others. I see page 24 while 20 is as far as I can go. Maybe I don't have the proper clearance needed.
:D

Better get checked out by Homeland Security Mr. Devil,I'm sure those pages are like the Dead Sea Scrolls,strictly on a need to know basis only(haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe