Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What knit colour on black leather flight jacket?

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I consider buying my first real flight jacket style with knit cuffs and all after having worn mostly "leather only" leather jackets thus far and I think I want to go with black cowhide with a brown base under it. So, when the jacket ages, it will shift more and more to brown and I cannot imagine pure black knit work with distressed black/brown leather looking all too good. Maybe I am wrong though, I don't know. So far I have been thinking, maybe dark seal Brown knit work. It will look alright with the new black leather and it will fit colorwise with the leather once it ages and turns more brownish, or so I believe.

Does anyone have a black flight jacket with knits in colours other than black of which he could share a picture with me? Pictures of the black/black ombo to show off it actually does look good even with distressed leather, are welcome too. This would be very appreciated. Any other help or suggestions are welcome too!

Thanks in advance,

I've got this "A-1" from LW that I love and it gets nice comments when I wear it.

IMG_7825.jpg
IMG_7827.jpg
IMG_7828.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a Gibson & Barnes "Civil" A-2 in black goatskin I got way back in 2001 and have worn A LOT. In the few places where the topcoat has faded (like the edge of the windflap, and the epaulette that constantly gets rubbed by my car shoulder belt), it has revealed a gray/green base underneath. So be SURE of what color the leather will wear off to show - it might not be what you expect.

Personally, I wouldn't go for knits other than black on a black jacket. But that's ME.

It seems I remember a grey knit with a lighter grey fleck (kind of a darker grey heather color) on a more modern patterned black A2 style. Was it an Aero 'Happy Days' offered in the past..?? Didn't look bad at all, as I recall.. IMO.
HD

Edward

Bartender
If you don't want to stick with the black, I'd go for either the rust red or an olive - either will work with black or brown, and so shouldn't look 'wrong' when the brown starts to come through, or before that point.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
I've never really thought about purchasing an A2, probably because all the ones I see on the street are ill fitting and just look sloppy, so it's sub-consciously turned me off to them. However I really like this combination, I think these knits would look really good with black too. I also do like the olive knits posted above.

Picture courtesy of Aero Leather Clothing

140550946f974cb0_s2963-front-500.jpg

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rusty red knits on my next jacket...which is brown leather :) A bit of flamboyance can be fun if not overdone.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMG_7825.jpg
The contrasting knits works really well with this LW A-1 - very sharp looking!

rectangle.jpg
Not too sure about this one though but would like to see you model this one for us Scott. :D

heron163

One of the Regulars
I pondered this very question recently for a new black A2...

after much vacillating between rust and OD, I went with OD... hope to see it soon.

I had an all black L-W A2 with black knits. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with rust knits on that particular jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
As others have said above, rust red so that when the color of the jacket changes, the knits will still be in the same key as the color of the jacket. For instance, if one is playing in the key of G (black jacket), one would not want to play an F note* (brown knits).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe