Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of topcoat is this, and . . .

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . where can I find one?

jingl066.jpg
jingl092.jpg
jingl073.jpg

I know it's not Golden Era, but the early and mid-'60s are a favorite era of mine, too. Vaughn only wore this particular topcoat in this one episode. Was it gabardine, you think? Where could I look to find something like it, single-breasted, lapels, no hidden buttons?

Noodles

New in Town
HI there,

this is a so called Macintosh coat, short Mac and is a british traditional coat offered for example by Burberry or Aquascutum.
so long

Hal

Practically Family
this is a so called Macintosh coat, short Mac and is a british traditional coat offered for example by Burberry or Aquascutum.
Yes, except that the coats you mention (and those made by many other traditional firms at the time) nearly all had fly-fronts rather than button-through.

Last edited:

Hal

Practically Family
AKA a Balmacaan.
On your side of the Atlantic, not here! (Yet the term is clearly Scottish in origin.)
I believe that it refers to fly-fronted tweed overcoats as well as to fly-fronted raincoats, but not to the button-through type shown in the OP's illustrations.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I believe that it refers to fly-fronted tweed overcoats as well as to fly-fronted raincoats, but not to the button-through type shown in the OP's illustrations.
How have you come to this conclusion?

Hal

Practically Family
I have seen the designation "balmacaan" referring to both raincoats and overcoats in both written postings and in pictures contributed by Americans to clothing fora many times, but never once have I seen any such showing, or implying a button-through fronted coat. How else would I come to such a conclusion? I don't pluck dogmatic statements out of the air, but react to what I see. I accept that, on one hand, this could be taken as arguing from lack of evidence.

Last edited:

Hal

Practically Family
I have since "googled" balmacaan, and find that Mr Lyles is right with respect to tweed overcoats. I still have seen no evidence that the term is ever used for such a raincoat as displayed by the OP.

Hal

Practically Family
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe