Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of cuff closure ?

Windward

Practically Family
Good Evening!
My next AERO will be a Jerky Seal Brown HH with satin lining for summer.
Want to change the american style cuffs now into the HalfBelt style cuffs!

Can anyone give an idea about cuff closure?

1) Should I take the stud closure or better go with button closure?
2) Will it be "fiddly" to open and close the button?
Probably leave the cuffs open on a sunny day (looks cool & stylish :))

Fiver64

Practically Family
either works.......

My only complaint about button cuffs is, while they look classier (IMHO) they tended to snag on things until a button finally tore off. Never noticed it until it was long gone.

Windward

Practically Family
open or closed

Hi Fiver64 - thanks for your opinion!
Probably the classier look might be the decision to go with buttons.
Do you let the buttons closed or opened. Is it easy to open and close the buttons if needed.

Best regards
Windward

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
What about a nice brass zipper closure for the cuffs ?????

Classy, a little biker but fairly discreet and very easy to operate .........

Dave

Fiver64

Practically Family
zippers? hmm.

Interesting idea, Dudley. That would be like the "G8" jacket. (If you want to see this, go to US Authentic website and look up the G8) On most new jackets, I find buttons rather hard to poke in and out of the stiff holes, at least until things break in a bit. I tend to keep my cuffs unbuttoned, depending on which watch I'm wearing. have a few mssive watches which restrict the cuff movement. It also depends on the type of jacket and diameter of the cuffs to begin with.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Well, Aero do it on their biker jackets and will do it on any other jacket too. I just personally find that where the leather overlaps on the cuff it makes that bit that much thicker, stiffer and less aesthetically pleasing. (To my mind anyways).

Also make sure you don't go for the internal storm cuff - HORRIBLE !!

The zipper can also be left just a bit open on your watch hand without you needing to do the same on the other cuff.

Win - win !! ;)

Dave

Edward

Bartender
I've seen that style of fastening on Luftwaffe jackets, so it probably goes back to French and German jackets from the thirties (at least).

Windward

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
What about a nice brass zipper closure for the cuffs ?????

Classy, a little biker but fairly discreet and very easy to operate .........

Dave

Yes, zipperd cuffs could be also a nice idea but looks indeed very biker and I am a JEEPER! lol
Windward

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
I would suggest you specify the circumference of the cuff to Aero. I ordered a Trailrider with the button cuffs and was very pleased. The cuff circumferece was wide enough to not really need unbuttoning when I took the jacket off. This way I had a different look than the American cuff but the kept the convenience of it. Thinking this was the 'standard' buttoned cuff size, I ordered another Trailrider (both jackets without belts by the way) but this time it came with super tight cuffs when buttoned. Yeech. Now I have to leave it unbuttoned and the triangular piece of the cuff dangles down and gets into my beans. So figure out if you really want a tight cuff when it is buttoned or one that is looser that just hangs over your wrist. When I button the tight cuff it really keeps out the wind but it's got that geek thing goin' on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld