Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your vintage dream purchase??

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
This is my vintage dream purchase, if I had a few thousand laying around, and a house with gas hookup to put it in:

2385GX00063.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
Since we're dreaming big- this is mine:

25b.jpg

This particular aircraft, a Pitcairn Sport Mailwing, is owned by a local gentleman named Stephen Pitcairn, son of Harold. Harold Pitcairn's factory built these in the late 20s/early 30s to fly the mail. They were such a delight to fly, though, that they made some "Sport" versions for civilian purchase.

Harold Pitcairn is primarily known for building the autogiro after he stopped building the Mailwing. Here's the PCA-2 autogiro owned by Stephen Pitcairn, before he donated it to the AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh:

Pitcairn%20PCA-2%20Autogiro-1.jpg

I can't choose between the two, so I think I'll have both! :p

Here is a little something you can appreciate from my collection.:D (I have a much higher rez version in my collection)

airmailcopy.jpg

I know a little bit about autogiros, I once gave a little talk here (One of the speakers):

http://www.hofstra.edu/CampusL/Culture/Autogiro/index_Autogiro.cfm

Here is a early autogiro designer & pilot that worked quite closely with Harold Pitcairn, at one time.
LePagepilot.jpg

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Absinthe_1900 said:
Here is a little something you can appreciate from my collection.:D (I have a much higher rez version in my collection)

airmailcopy.jpg

I know a little bit about autogiros, I once gave a little talk here (One of the speakers):

[/quote=Absinthe_1900]

It appears you and I have a lot in common! Do you know Carl Gunther?

I am actually the curator of the Harold F. Pitcairn Wings of Freedom museum at Willow Grove. I would love to talk to you more, but I don't want to skew this thread off topic- I can't PM you yet, so please email me when you get a chance: DVHAAcurator "at" verizon "dot" net - fill in the symbols & eliminate the spaces! :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah yes, the 1936 Phantom Corsair... only one ever made! Interesting story behind that car. A true dream car I'd say!

Now, something I'd really love to have and also, restore...

Queen%20Mary%20at%20night.jpg

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well JP, we'll own it together! Some one will have to shovel coal to keep the fires burning!lol

Henry, $25,000.00 is the translation in today’s dollars from what it was going to cost new in 1936. The Phantom Corsair is in fact a priceless item knowing it's a one of a kind auto. I mean, anything can be bought for the right price but, I'd have to figure that if it ever did go up for auction, it would fetch a cool million or two!;)

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Well JP, we'll own it together! Some one will have to shovel coal to keep the fires burning!lol

Not to mention the painting, swabbing the decks, polishing the brass and fixing the pool. I hope you are a good handy man. :D
When I saw the $25,000 figure I thought you meant the QM. :p I was just on my way out the door to the bank when I read further. [huh] lol

Regards,

J

The real Henry

Practically Family
Wild Root said:

Henry, $25,000.00 is the translation in today’s dollars from what it was going to cost new in 1936. The Phantom Corsair is in fact a priceless item knowing it's a one of a kind auto. I mean, anything can be bought for the right price but, I'd have to figure that if it ever did go up for auction, it would fetch a cool million or two!;)

=WR=

Wait...mmmh... No, there don't seems to be a million in my wallet!:( But hey it was worth a try!;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Buying a historic Ocean Liner: One Billion dollars.

Restoring said Ocean Liner: Two Billion dollars.

Sailing an Art Deco steam ship to Europe for the first time in 39 years:

Priceless!

For everything else, there's day dreaming!lol

=WR=

Phil

A-List Customer
If I could have one vintage item, just one, it would have to be Dizzy Gillespie's or Louis Armstrong's trumpet. I wouldn't play it, but to have a piece of greatness from either one of the gods of trumpet. Mabey I could get a gig on that ocean liner....

J.B.

Practically Family
Reflections of - the way life used to be...

Wild Root said:
Well JP, we'll own it together! Some one will have to shovel coal to keep the fires burning!lol ... =WR=
I beg your pardon?! :)

I'm not just any common engine-room snipe, you know :p -- but your dreams and prayers for a "vintage" Radio Officer have just been answered?! :D So, if you and JP ever do come up with enough scratch to buy The Queen -- I'll give you each a double sawbuck to let me be the R/O for your FLQM Trans-Atlantic crossing!! Stand aside and let "Sparky" J.B. at the key!!

Each October when I (ploddingly) run over the Queensway Bridge at the Long Beach Marathon -- and I look at that majestic icon moored there, I just can't help but reflect back to 1963 at a 19-year old kid sitting at the telegraph key and typewriter console on the mid-watch at a lonely ship-to-shore radio station in San Juan, P.R. -- copying the Morse Code travel reports and "working" Obs/Observer weather messages with GBTT and the countless other "bigs" on their Trans-Atlantic and Caribbean runs...

...Queen Elizabeth, France, Rotterdam, Franca C -- an amazing longevity story, BTW!, Victoria, Queen of Bermuda, Carmania, Hanseatic, Flandre, and all of the great ones. Then -- it was only a job. Now in retrospect -- I am honored to have been allowed that experience and it is so humbling!

(Oh but my how times have changed!! Just to try and reminisce a bit tonight, I decided to "Google up" MS Victoria -- and got a website for an Australian Dominatrix ?!) nyuk. nyuk. :D :eusa_doh:

Anyway, here's a couple of hazy early race morning pics of the QM last year and a Port of LB fire tug salute to the Queen and runners...

lbm05queenbs0.jpg

lbm05salutesa1.jpg

So um, let me know when you're ready to set the special sea detail and cast off all lines, skipper. (Or can I just go splice the main brace and dream some more??)

Wild Root said:
Buying a historic Ocean Liner: One Billion dollars.

Restoring said Ocean Liner: Two Billion dollars.

Sailing an Art Deco steam ship to Europe for the first time in 39 years:

Priceless!

For everything else, there's day dreaming!lol

=WR=

Three billion eh? like Ralph Cramden used to say: "A mere bag of shells, a mere bag of shells." :p
I doubt she would cost a billion outright though. Retrofit engines and restoration might get up there though. :D

Regards to all,

J

P.S. We are working on the crew and entertainment so far though. :p

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Mine would be to own a piece of jewelry from a well known actress.
Clara Bow, Louise Brooks, Carole Lombard, Gloria Swanson....etc.
It would be excellent if it were an art deco piece that was classy,
but not flashy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe