Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your passion?

Steve

Practically Family
Michael Mallory said:
Oh, now you've done it, you've gotten me started...!
Heck, don't stop. You're articulating what I feel better than I ever could.

LolitaHaze said:
That is lovely! I too love mysteries, but not enough to actually study the historical ones. I am still on Nancy Drew's level. I do enjoy movies that have you following clues like The Ring (pt 1 not 2). I also love to play computer games that follow the character through places that involve puzzle solving. Speaking of puzzle solving... have you seen those puzzles where you read a mystery and have to put the puzzle together to solve the story? I love those. I am a big fan of Clue as well. It delights me when they throw in some "truth" or "historical reference" in the game/story.

My secret birthday wish is that one year someone will surprise me with a mystery hunt. Much like a scavenger hunt, but more along the levels of having to find clues to solve riddles and mysteries.
Have you ever tried Geocaching? It's a GPS scavenger hunt that ranges from city streets to The Badlands. I do as often as I can, and it is a blast.

It's good to meet another mystery fetishist too, do you read any Sherlock Holmes? Sir Doyle was such a genius...

Maj.Nick Danger said:
I want to know all that stuff too! I've heard that The Ark is in Ethiopia. Also there is an obscure referance in The Catholic Bible as to the prophet Jermiah hiding the Ark at Mount Nebo, which is now part of Syria. ( 2nd book of Machabees, Chapter 2)
I have always also been intrigued by The Pyramid of Cheops in Egypt. There are far too many mysterious details built into it for me to assume that it was merely a burial tomb. When the Arabs came to Egypt in the 7th century, they were of course in complete awe of it. The leader sent out spies to casually inquire of the local population as to what these strange structures were and who built them. The general concensus among the locals was that they were built at the command of an ancient king who had dreamed of a coming world cataclysm that would destroy all life on earth. He was instructed to place all of the collected scientific knowledge of his time and culture in the pyramid.
The Great Pyramid is so amazing, I'd go into what I've heard about it, but then I'd be the recipient of some "shut ups" due to the length. :rolleyes:

If you want to PM me, I can direct you to quite a few Ark theories; some well-known, some crazy, but they're all interesting.

And AtomicBlonde, what kind of living can be made in your field? I'd love to work in something like that, but from what I've heard, it doesn't pay enough to support a family.

Novella

Practically Family
Like a few others, history is my passion. There are so many facets to it, a little flavor of mystery, problem solving, imagination. I'm generally a fiction book kind of girl, but I love the storytelling aspect and reality of history. Paper things are my favorite - magazines and photos especially. Nothing gets me more excited than old family photos, genealogy fascinates me. I'm a history major and one of my favorite things is to ask other history majors what their specialization is. It's fun to see others become so passionate about their topics and even if their area is super far away from my interest their excitement tends to rub off a bit on me.

My secondary passion is movies. Movies turn my bad days around and ignite my imagination. When I stop having an imagination is the day I stop living.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A 1958 red Ferrari GTS California...

ZEMKE FAN
Only 50 were made. I never drive it, only
polish it with a diaper. As my son Cameron
said to his best friend before they took it
for a joy-ride...

CAMERON
It's his love. It's his passion...

FERRIS
It's his fault he didn't lock the garage!

(Okay I'm passionate about movies, too!)

Mycroft

One Too Many
My passion can be summed up in one word...LEARNING. Learning is what I always fucus my life on to improve myself and the world. I love to read, travel, and surf the net just to learn.

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
HISTORY!! Specifically 1920's through 1940's American history.

Studying it, absorbing it, teaching it, learning from it, talking about it, annoying my friends with it:) ...

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Steve said:
Have you ever tried Geocaching? It's a GPS scavenger hunt that ranges from city streets to The Badlands. I do as often as I can, and it is a blast.

It's good to meet another mystery fetishist too, do you read any Sherlock Holmes? Sir Doyle was such a genius...

Steve, I have heard of the Geocaching, but haven't done that myself. I should look into it a bit more... From what I have heard (from you and others) it is a great time!

I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes... I am still on my Nancy Drew kick. Yeah... I don't read much... :( I do have a couple of the Sherlock movies from back when. Now I perfer to read my Nancy Drews in order... do you have to do that with Sherlock Holmes or can you pick up which ever book and be ok?

Steve

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Steve, I have heard of the Geocaching, but haven't done that myself. I should look into it a bit more... From what I have heard (from you and others) it is a great time!

I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes... I am still on my Nancy Drew kick. Yeah... I don't read much... :( I do have a couple of the Sherlock movies from back when. Now I perfer to read my Nancy Drews in order... do you have to do that with Sherlock Holmes or can you pick up which ever book and be ok?
I got into them through a book of several random short stories that I picked up at a book fair, and it was easy to follow along. :)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:

ZEMKE FAN
Only 50 were made. I never drive it, only
polish it with a diaper. As my son Cameron
said to his best friend before they took it
for a joy-ride...

CAMERON
It's his love. It's his passion...

FERRIS
It's his fault he didn't lock the garage!

(Okay I'm passionate about movies, too!)

I am defently passionate about that movie, it is one of my favorites. Memorized basiclly the entire thing.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Mycroft said:
I am defently passionate about that movie, it is one of my favorites. Memorized basiclly the entire thing.

Yeah. My first exposure to Yello was that movie, these days I have all their albums.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jess (going to Scotland)

AtomicBlonde said:
I had the opportunity this summer to go with Professor W. Brown Morton III (who I consider to be a god in historic preservation, as he had a hand in writing the secretary of the interiors standards for restoration and rehabilitation of historic structures which is sort of the preservation bible) to Scotland to study historic Scottish architecture and to compare preservation efforts in the UK and America... it was certainly one of the highlights of my life, a trip I will never forget.
-Jess

Hi Jess, Paddy here, nice to meet you. Do you have any photos or a picture gallery showing your trip to Scotland? Where did you get to in Scotland and what places of interest did you see?
Sounds like you were impressed by the place, glad you enjoyed it!

Naama

Practically Family
My passion telling stories :rolleyes:
Sound's a bit strange I guess...... But that's just what I always wanted to do. I actually worte my first books in elementary school (never finished any though). But I quit writing since I'm more of a visual type. At the moment I mainly draw comics but I also paint, do photographie and other art forms..... Theres nothing greater for me than if someone tells me that he likes my stories :)

Naama

Naama

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
I am very passionate about Burlesque Striptease... what is what isn't. I admit I am anally traditional and believe that what a lot of girls call Burlesque now-a-days is nothing but performance art. There is a point of which it no longer is Burlesque. I have started to except that there is a certain about of growth to be expected and with growth comes change... but there are times when it strays so far from the origin it is no longer Burlesque. It kills me when girls use the word Burlesque (buzz word) to describe their acts without doing any sort of history on the subject. Gals that say they LOVE Burlesque but can't tell me who Lili St Cyr is should be shot. Hahahaha... Mind you, this is all my own personal opinion on the subject.

:arated: I think there should be more girls who think like you out there! I think burlesque is a great thing, since it's tastefull and sexy without being cheap and trashy like striptease is today, and the girls look rather self confident, strong and emancipated ! Yeah, just wanted to tell you that I apreciate the work of burlesque girls ;)

Naama

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Hi Jess, Paddy here, nice to meet you. Do you have any photos or a picture gallery showing your trip to Scotland? Where did you get to in Scotland and what places of interest did you see?
Sounds like you were impressed by the place, glad you enjoyed it!

Hi there!!

I absolutely adored Scotland! I had a wonderful time... I've considered going back for a much lengthier stay (maybe for school, I dont know yet) because I loved it so much. However, it seems that through the research I've done its really hard for Americans to just move to the UK, which is a shame. I love America, but when I was in Scotland I felt a strange sort of home... as though I had been there before and had just been away for a long time. I miss it. :(

I was there for a month, I spent about a week and a half in the highlands in a little town called Cromarty where we worked on a project documenting Church Street, which has a range of builings from the 15th century to the modern period. While we were there we visitied various places of interest.. saw some great pictish stuff... then, we moved on to Aberdeen which was my favorite city there... everyone complained about how dire it looked but I thought it was beautiful. We only spent a day in Glasgow, seeing the Glasgow school of art, which is an absolutely stunning example of Art Nouveau architecture... and then to the Charles Rennie Mackintosh museum (he was the guy who designed the school of art building) where we got to see loads of beautiful Art Nouveau furniture and whatnot that he had designed. Then, it was off to Edinburgh for a few days... not my favorite city, I must admit... It was interesting, but far too big for me. Then, I took off by myself to Arbroath and visited my friend Jamie for a couple days... then I took the train to Inverness, and spent a couple days there before I was back home again.

I saw LOTS of stuff, and took several hundred pictures, some of which I have uploaded onto a photo website.... I've taken some of them down, since it only lets me add a certain amount. :) Right now, most of the pictures I have are of my week and a half in the highlands... plus some other random photos I've taken here and there... If you want, you can look at them here: http://www.community.webshots.com/user/jwise9ej

enjoy!

-Jess

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Major Nick and Steve -- I, too, would love to go on expeditions to search for "lost" treasures: would love to research the lost Ark, and would climb Mt. Ararat, if I could, to look for the other Ark. Would love to search and find, if such a thing were possible, the Grail.

Also, I would like to scour some big lakes looking for Nessie or Champy or Ogopogo (sp?), or try to get a glimpse of the Yeti in the Himalayas or Sasquatch in the Pacific Northwest, if they exist.

Oh, to be young again and of independent means....

karol

AtomicBlonde said:
then, we moved on to Aberdeen which was my favorite city there... everyone complained about how dire it looked but I thought it was beautiful.

Ha Ha. I guess it must have been raining. That is the most depressing city in the world when it's raining. When it's sunny though, it's truly stunning. The light shines off the grey granite and just makes you feel good. In the rain everything is just a dull grey, in the sun it's silver.

The architecture is amazing. You saw the cathedrals, of course?

bk - 4 years in Aberdeen

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Too many passions. And too little time and too little money to pursue them properly.

But I guess the two main passions in my life are history and music.

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Ha Ha. I guess it must have been raining. That is the most depressing city in the world when it's raining. When it's sunny though, it's truly stunning. The light shines off the grey granite and just makes you feel good. In the rain everything is just a dull grey, in the sun it's silver.

The architecture is amazing. You saw the cathedrals, of course?

bk - 4 years in Aberdeen

I thought it was wonderful even when it was raining... but it was beautiful when the sun came out. :) I did see cathedrals when I was there. One thing that I found interesting was that if some of the buildings had been made of brick and not granite, it would almost be like being in Virginia, seeing some of the 18th century Adamesque architecture that is found here a lot. Aberdeen was my favorite place, and if I was ever to manage to go back for a lengthier period of time, thats where I'd want to be. It wasnt too big... it was just right... I loved the atmosphere and the people I met there too.

-Jess

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
nightandthecity said:
Jess, how can anyone not like Edinburgh? maybe that is where it was raining....

I liked Edinburgh, it was just too big for me... I liked the smaller cities that seemed to capture the spirit of the people more than Edinburgh did. Strange, I know.

Plus the new parliament building is ugly. :rolleyes:

-Jess

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Naama said:
:arated: I think there should be more girls who think like you out there! I think burlesque is a great thing, since it's tastefull and sexy without being cheap and trashy like striptease is today, and the girls look rather self confident, strong and emancipated ! Yeah, just wanted to tell you that I apreciate the work of burlesque girls ;)

Naama

Naama, Thank you! I actually had someone tell me I was TOO Retro in my Burlesque. At first I thought to myself, "What the..." But then I realized that even though that was a critique and not a compliment, I was doing my job PERFECTLY! Most people of the younger generation cannot see a true Burlesque show, so I am a bit of a throw back to the past. Many compliments from the women who used to live it!! Sure every once in a while I will throw something naughty in my acts, but nothing straight up vulgar! It is just showing people that I can be tasteful, classy, and sexual at the same time.

Thank you! It is great to know that there are people out there that appreciate what we do and understand it! I have too many people telling me to show it all or that think I am supposed to get fully naked in my shows... why? So I can be like every other faceless girl to the world? :) So thank you again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe