Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite retro look on a handsome man?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Marlon Brando in a suit or a tux. I am not picky about the outfit..

00036f.jpg

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Kevin.jpg

Rotten cell phone pic, but you get the idea. That's one of those scrumptious Irish flat caps he has, and the smoke and beer finish off the "I just stepped out of the pub" look. Yummy... :D

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
That photo is charged with dominant/submissive vibes. Way, way suggestive ...

Well, in the film (as I'm sure you know) he's interrogating her, so he's trying to make her feel small. He's also in love with her, as you find out :)

Lenore said:
*grins* I don't mind that... especially if it were my husband looking so snazzy...

Same here :D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie said:
Who knew you had so many preferences for looks in handsome men, Marc.... ;)

Aw, shucks ... one doesn't need to be gay or bisexual to appreciate beauty in both sexes. :)

It's interesting how, in the "What are you wearing today?" thread, gals often say "You look beautiful!" to each other ... while the men say to each other, "Nice outfit". lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Aw, shucks ... one doesn't need to be gay or bisexual to appreciate beauty in both sexes. :)

It's interesting how, in the "What are you wearing today?" thread, gals often say "You look beautiful!" to each other ... while the men say to each other, "Nice suit". lol

Now now...did i say anything about the above words?

I just who knew you had so many preferences in what handsome men wear.....not an accusation at all.....

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

It's interesting how, in the "What are you wearing today?" thread, gals often say "You look beautiful!" to each other ... while the men say to each other, "Nice outfit". lol

When you said "Aw, shucks", did you jam your hands into your pockets, look down, and drag the toe of your shoe in the dust, circle-like? An "aw, shucks" don't mean nothing without the appropriate body language. ;)

You're right though; I've given up making any comments about a man being handsome to my husband. He WILL admit to a fellow looking dapper, but throw in the 'H' word, and it's suddenly all oblivious denial: "I don't know, whatever you say, how would I know if a man is handsome?.."
[huh]

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
But seriously, I think that many male Loungers --no matter what their orientation-- have opinions and preferences regarding what other male media celebrities (handsome or not) wear. Lord knows they opine about it enough.

Not to get off topic, but surely all men, gay or straight, must have opinions. They certainly see a handsome guy in the street and think "wow, he's good-looking!" just like ladies do for both sexes.

Most straight guys have a big problem admitting it though - I'll ask my beau if he thinks Brad Pitt is handsome, for example, and he gets all shifty and uncomfortable before insisting he doesn't "look at other dudes like that." What is the big deal?

(PS. I know, "don't call me Shirley." :rolleyes:)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
C-dot said:
What is the big deal?

Here's the skinny: when most of us men were in later elementary school, we learned that the worst thing a boy could be called was "gay", "f*ggot", etc. This has been going on since at least my grandfather's time (or so he said). Therefore, any behavior that could be construed as even slightly "queer" was avoided like the plague.

Men are human ... they find a whole host of things to be pleasing to the eye, including the way another man looks. (Interestingly, my wife and I often disagree over who is "handsome" or "beautiful".)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What ever happened to the ability of anyone, male or female, to be able to look at another person and think they're looking well-turned-out without anything more being read into it? Were all those men reading Esquire in the '30s hiding it under the mattress to avoid snide comments from the boys down at the office? What is it about modern culture that makes men get all defensive about admiring the cut of another man's suit?

(That's a rhetorical question, by the way, not meant to derail the thread. But it's something worth thinking about. And that's as far as we need to go into this subject. Back on topic, please.)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
LizzieMaine said:
What ever happened to the ability of anyone, male or female, to be able to look at another person and think they're looking well-turned-out without anything more being read into it? What is it about modern culture that makes men get all defensive about admiring the cut of another man's suit?

Furthermore, what ever happened to homosociality and homoemotionality? They're hardly recognized as extent these days. The only close, nonfamilial male relationship types our culture 'permits' are martial or homosexual ... or Greek (as in fraternities).

Not surprisingly, it was during the (terribly) gender-segregated Victorian era that homosocial and homoemotional bonds were most recognized and accepted.

My last :eek:fftopic: post here. Promise.

Foofoogal

Banned
as men are more visual I don't buy any of it for a second.

I appreciate beauty. I definitely think people have a wide range of appreciating beauty. It is called passion.
Different retro looks would even be appealing to us all depending on where we are. We are so fickle like this.
In Fall we like one look, in Spring another etc.
I have been thinking lately of how silly a few generations would think of us all.
To discard a perfectly good something as it is going out of style. They would at least revitalize it or change the outfit around with buttons or such.
We see things thru the eyes of the norm at the time instead of our own decisions. Really ridiculous at times.
(ex. like showing some 1930s girls holding hands with title of "gay interest" or whatever to sell an item.)
http://sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree with you Marc.
There is a HUGE stigma on men looking at other men and fining something attractive. Often that attraction has to be turned into something motivational, or overly comical 'gay' in order for it to be processed as non threatening.

For once women have the double standard as we can look at every inch of a woman, be openly attracted to her, say she is beautiful, but there is no threat to our identity if we do so. Why is that? I personally think its a dominance/sub dominance or rather superior/inferior complex. Women are still looked at as the subdominant sex, and therefor are allowed such 'advances'. Where as men are still 'dominant' and social stigmas on sensitivity and ascetic sans machines or the opposite sex are considered weak.

LD

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
WOW, you people are way too deep for me. I just like pretty things and fashion. Like Buddy Holly....his glasses say "I am smart, while his messy hair says "I am kinda wild." this is a great look.
buddy-holly1.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
~Psycho Sue~ said:
WOW, you people are way too deep for me. I just like pretty things and fashion.

Wanting to understand something beyond the surface does not mean you are 'deep', just that you want to know more about something then, well the surface.

This is a board full of history buffs ;)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe