Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
While this isn't my 'home subject' I would have to say:

Breaking it down by country:

Germany: Me-109 and Fw-190

Britain: Spitfire and Hurricane

USA: B-17 (I have a relative that was a bombardier in one) and because they simply look so at home while in flight :rolleyes: ; P-51

Prien

Hondo

One Too Many
The B17G, you can not ask for more from a quickly built bomber; sustained so much damage, yet still kept on firing her guns, flying.
Here’s to the greatest generation :cheers1:

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Almost nothing makes me shed tears, but seeing those old birds getting chopped at the Boneyard never fails to do the job.

You're not alone. A little off topic, but several years ago, I was on a sales call. I happened to know that my prospect had been one of the test pilots on the B52. I took a coworker with me. My colleague had recently seen some History Channel special about how they chopped up the B52s. Well, he starts talking about it in the meeting. My prospect is nearly in tears and this buffoon just goes on and on. I can't shut him up! Hell, I'm even getting upset by the graphic description! He finally stops. I managed to rescue the meeting and won the new account, but no thanks to the History Channel or my idiot pal!

On a perhaps brighter note, I read recently that the Air Force planns to fly many of its remaining fleet of B52s for at least another FIFTY years!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I do have a soft spot in my heart for the B52. I grew up a few miles from a SAC base (K.I. Sawyer AFB), and my house was in the direct line of the landing strip. Nothing like getting buzzed by a whole squadron of B52s in the morning. My house had aircraft collision insurance :eek:

staggerwing said:
On a perhaps brighter note, I read recently that the Air Force planns to fly many of its remaining fleet of B52s for at least another FIFTY years!

You handled it better than I would have, that's for sure--I would've asked the prospect for a few minutes, reamed "buddy" a new one about his lack of discretion, and then gone back to apologize for my associate's lack of manners.

Personally, I think with the right upgrades, the AF could stretch the BUFF out another 50 beyond even what they're thinking--the only reason B-1s and B-2s carry more in raw numbers is that the BUFFs only have "lo-cap" racks now; the good stuff was scrapped when they cut up the D-models. (And I think with new engines and a "diet program", replacing metal with composites where possible, that would enhance capability, speed and range all at once!)

I have almost no passions, but the B-52 is a deep one--with a couple exceptions, that bird I got to park myself aboard in Kansas is about the closest emotional attachment I've ever had.

Nick D, buzzed by a squadron? That woulda been a heck of an alarm-clock...

drafe007

New in Town
B-17F IS THE ONE FER ME!!!

HECK I GOT TWO PLASTIC MODELS THAT I BUILD MYSELF! BUT THE COOLEST FROM A AESTHETIC STAND POINT ARE CURTISS XP-55 ASCENDER AND THE MCDONNELL XP-67 BOTH COOL BY ME.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
I'm going to fly the flag for a little aircraft built less than a mile down the road from me in Woolston, the Supermarine Walrus :eusa_clap

Revell_04391_Supermarine_Walrus.jpg

A_000193.jpg

Wal_5.jpg

I've always loved old aircraft, but this one has fascinated me since I was a little kid. I ride past where they were built on my way to and from work every day, you can still see the footprint of the Supermarine factory, and the slipway down into the River Itchen. (just found photo of a Sea Otter going down it)

Sea_Otter.jpg

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
From the WWII era, I have many aircraft that I am fond of, but the P-38 tops my list. Love the looks.
(for some unknown reason I cannot upload a picture here at work! :rage: )

Flieger

Practically Family
How could I miss this thread? :eusa_doh:

So many nice aircraft have been shown here - You have great taste! :eusa_clap

Can I add a few of my personal favourites:

The Boeing P-26 Peashooter
Boeing_P26.jpg

The Arado Ar-96 (shown as Swedish civilian)
Arado_96.jpg

The SAAB 21
SAAB_21.jpg

... and finally (because it's my father grinning in the cockpit) The Beechcraft 18R
Beechcraft18.jpg

Cheers

Flieger

Jerekson

One Too Many
Flieger said:
... and finally (because it's my father grinning in the cockpit) The Beechcraft 18R
Beechcraft18.jpg

Cheers

Flieger

That's an awesome plane, and an even more-awesome picture!

Flieger

Practically Family
Just to be clear about this: My father wasn't a pilot on the Beechcraft. He was a mechanic.

The Beechcraft 18R was used as an air ambulance in Sweden (we called it Tp 4). It was a joint venture between the Swedish Air Force and the Red Cross. My father did his military service 1946-47.

Tp4.jpg

Daddy.jpg

/Flieger

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Oh, there's so many but I've always had a fondness for the night fighter/ bomber P-61 Black Widow. Not too long ago I met an amazing woman named Iris Critchell (scroll down for her bio) who was in the 1936 Olympics and later a WASP during WWII. She ferried P-61's and many others from the factory to stateside air bases before they made their overseas flights. She said the P-61 was her favorite plane and a dream to fly, contrary to what many have said. By the way, she's in her 80s and still flies planes!!

p61-1.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
DC 3

I've always liked the Douglas DC3, in all its glorious incarnations. Even on the ground, it looks like it's ready to take flight. Simply a beautiful aircraft, in my opinion.

DC3Dakota.jpg

DC3.jpg

DC3floats.jpg

Lee

“You can't destroy the Earth, that's where I keep all my stuff!” – The Tick

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
eniksleestack said:
Oh, there's so many but I've always had a fondness for the night fighter/ bomber P-61 Black Widow.

I've got a friend that is just obsessed with this bird. I've printed out several photos for him to hang. I thought you'd enjoy them too. -dixon cannon

dixon-cannon

dixon-cannon

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Flieger, surprised you skipped the Seversky/Republic P-35, which served with both the Swedish and US forces.

A beautiful little airplane, unfortunately designed to the needs of peaceful nations, P-35s made their best showing in the air races of the late '30s, but were too slow and too few in number to survive the all-powerful Zero in the early days of the Pacific war.

p35-4a.jpg

fot352.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe