Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your expertise?

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Expert? I don't know. I've been told by others I'm a pretty good pilot, and not half bad as a mechanic. I was considered an expert in telecommunications up until about 1995 or so, but the technology has gotten far, far away from me now. I'm a decent writer, even though you can't tell by my posts here. I once made a living handicapping horse races, so I guess that qualifies me as at least a journeyman if not a true expert. I suppose I'm just not comfortable with that label. Interesting thread though.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I know a lot about movies and movie stars from the 20s and 30s. Especially pre-Code era Warner Bros. (to be ultra-specific!) Too bad most people only come to me when they want to know about those "old" movies from the 60s and 70s that I know nothing about [huh]

Kimberly

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Hi Folks,

Other than criminal law, which is my profession, I know a bit about antique North Carolina pottery and post-WWII flight jackets. My problem is that I can never remain interested in a subject long enough to become expert at it.

Atticus

I am the same exact way. I swear I suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder. I will get all gung ho over something and want to learn as much about it. I then start getting bored and search for something else. The plus side is that I am knowledgeable on quite a few things, the downside is that I am not an expert on any of it. lol

Kimberly said:
I am the same exact way. I swear I suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder. I will get all gung ho over something and want to learn as much about it. I then start getting bored and search for something else. The plus side is that I am knowledgeable on quite a few things, the downside is that I am not an expert on any of it. lol
Sounds kinda like a "burnout" problem. I have those myself at times, so I tend to keep several areas of study lined up and working in parallel, so when I crash on one, I can switch to another, then come back to the previous subject later. (None of those fields I've cited, except aerospace and personal defense, have been a "straight-through", continuous effort!)

Amelie

A-List Customer
When I see someone like Lauren telling she's not "an expert" in fashion history and sewing I think that I am really nothing then lol :p

apart from my big interest for fashion history and contemporary fashion, I know some things about gemmology even though I am REALLY far from being an expert and... I really don't know what I could add! I am kind of destabilized by this thread! lol

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Professionaly, health. I'm an M.D. Ph.D., have had my license to practice for over 30 years, so...:rolleyes:
For fun, though among true connoiseurs, I'm a novice, but among the general population, kimono. I am certified as a junior kimono expert by the Japanese Kimono Culture Association.:)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Have you visited Chile's wine country yet?

I have not yet. I've long wanted to go to Chile. I hope that trip is in the near future. From photos, it looks stunningly beautiful.

I gather you have been?

Miss Neecerie said:
You are the -queen- of wine dear......

and mmmmm Gaiman.....

D.....useless comment department

You are kind, Miss N-. Honestly, I have a way to go and probably always will. It's an immense subject. I just hope that any of my knowledge inspires others to love wine as an art as much as I do.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I don't think I'd claim to be an expert on anything either.

I have a good knowledge of computers - specifically digital pre-press software, digital forensics, and software quality assurance processes.

I have an interest in military history - esp. WWII, Napoleonic, and Napoleonic Naval. Recreational gaming, esp. Euro board games. Single malt scotch and mixology. But for all those, I'd say I know more than the average joe, but wouldn't sell myself as an expert.

So currently, perhaps just digital-forensics.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
In addition to the fields mentioned in a previous post, I'm particularly well versed in animation history, theory and techniques (but no CGI whatsoever). One of these days I'll have the time to try at least one of them....

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Away all boats!!!

I am an expert in amphibious warfare, like Normandy and Inchon. I've been a Deck Officer, Staff Officer and Beachmaster. Next month I'll take over as First Lieutenant on another amphibiuos ship in charge of all deck operations. Nothing like getting up at 2am to launch a marine raid!

In my off time I am rather an expert in opera (Wagner in particular). I have a degree in music and spent eight years as a trombone player in the Army Band. I don't play much anymore, but conduct church choirs wherever I'm stationed (and in the country).

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
TraderRic said:
You have me there, Carebear.

As far as M and m, I was thinking along the lines of maritime since I also work with SEALs. I should have worded that better.

The best part of waking up is the swim to the beach. :D

There's no crime in a slip of the shift key. Our hypersensitivity is not your problem. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe