Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your expertise?

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Terry Lennox said:
It's male pattern baldness if you must know....

You mean it's not a "Solar Panel for a Sex Machine" like the T-shirt says ?

Or the "GOD CREATED A FEW PERFECT HEADS AND ON THE REST HE PUT HAIR" T-shirt ?

For myself it gives me a good excuse to wear a good hat !

Rosie

One Too Many
Expert? Me thinks not. I'm really good with diagnosing and correcting reading problems, also known as Reading Recovery. I'm particulary good with the Orton Gillingham Methodology. I also have a knack for teachig children to write expressively, that and classroom management, those are very strong skills of mine. :rolleyes:

I'm also pretty knowledgeable about Black History, particularly the women. Oh I just thought of this, you know those makeover shows? I always know what kind of clothes the "experts" are going to choose. I'm really good at making people over theoretically since I've not done it in real life as of yet.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
Oh I just thought of this, you know those makeover shows? I always know what kind of clothes the "experts" are going to choose. I'm really good at making people over theoretically since I've not done it in real life as of yet.

The world could use more people with your talent(s). The number of people who would look (and probably feel) better with different hair styles is staggering.

Terry Lennox

Suspended
raiderrescuer said:
You mean it's not a "Solar Panel for a Sex Machine" like the T-shirt says ?

Or the "GOD CREATED A FEW PERFECT HEADS AND ON THE REST HE PUT HAIR" T-shirt ?

For myself it gives me a good excuse to wear a good hat !

I've never heard them, very funny!

PS... where can you find those t-shirts....

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Expertise? Meh. I am a fairly good spinner of yarn - a teller of tall tales. Besides that...

Grapefruit sculptures and Proost!

Okay, okay...I lied about the Proost.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Some of mine

Lincoln. I know him as well as it is possible to know someone you have never met.
Bulldogs. History, confirmation, care, etc.
The John W. Merriam Cigar Company. Working on a history. Much more interesting than it sounds.
Edison and Victor phonographs/gramophones.
Oldsmobile from 1940 - 1955.

I also have a great passion for the advertising business and its history.

Naama

Practically Family
Well, ok, I also would say, expert is maybe a bit too much, but I know a lot about:
Youth cultures
Victorian Era
Oscar Wilde
Tim Burton :D
I also know a lot about many film directors
............yes..... I guess that's it. All very usefull stuff.....

Naama

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Ex-expertise.

Alas!

For most of my life I had wanted to be an expert- or at least an "authority" on just about anything. The unfortunate part is that I was never particularly good at anything, and lacked a surprising amount of knowledge about virtually everything. However... one day in 1976 I decided to learn the international Morse code, with an eye to getting my ham radio license, which I eventually did, in 1978. My code capabilities were fair.

And then, one happy day in 1983 I was hired by the Canadian government and trained to be a radio operator. I was posted at what was then the largest, busiest Coast Guard radio station in Canada "Halifax Coast Guard Radio" in the fishing village of Ketch Harbour, Nova Scotia, just south of Halifax. We communicated via voice, code and teletype with ships all across the North Atlantic ocean on shortwave.

While I can't consider myself an "expert", I am very knowledgeable in the use of the international Morse code... at least as used by the Canadian Coast Guard.lol

The "Alas" part came in 1996, when we stopped using the code! :cry: I really miss using the code professionally, although I could still use it on the ham bands if I really wanted to. So my only "expertise" is now obsolete. Drat. (To put it mildly).

Other than that, I have a relatively (pun) large genealogical database and am well-versed in the descendants of my ancestor Nehemiah Ward of Attleboro, MA, who came here to what is now New Brunswick in the year 1762. Again, not a very remunerative endeavor!

"RadioHead"

magneto

Practically Family
Caledonia said:
Badgers

Badger badger badger!! ;)

Myself:
the French Revolution (I am a confirmed Burkean, don't worry)
baking cakes and yeasted breads
putting together outfits and colour combinations
bad attempts at being amusing
perl hacking and writing a sendmail.cf from scratch (that's for the geeks here)

Section10

One of the Regulars
I'm very good with a chainsaw. I have sawed in the woods for years.
Pretty good at hard rock mining and not bad with explosives.
I like prospecting and rock hounding and since my local area is loaded with long abandoned gold, silver, copper and iron mines I always have someplace interesting to go.
Wild plants & herbs are another pastime.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
1 - Old-school photography, especially b/w darkroom work. Since I started assisting my retired pro parents back in the early 1960s - who were largely using an approach that was already becoming passe then! - I am well versed in equipment/materials/techniques that are now quite antique. If it's pre-autoeverything, I probably know all about it!

2 - Old movies and TV. I've been a buff/collector (starting on Super 8 and 16mm in the pre-VHS era!)/scholar for decades, and I have a nearly photographic memory for trivia. Among my specialties are cartoons (I used to teach a couse about them at the Learning Annex), musicals, noirs, silent comedy...

3 - Music. Although I don't play anything but the stereo, I know my way around most classical, jazz, Broadway, folk, rock, etc., *very* well!

Other serious long-term interests include history, art, hiking, cooking, and so on... but I don't claim real expert status in these areas.

Viper Man

Banned
!

Well, I do video and audio production professionally but my love is music. If I am not playing, writing, or recording music, I am listening to it or reading about it. I play electric bass, some keys, and sing. I love Jazz (mostly small group swing and bop/hard bop) and The Blues and am quite knowledgeable about both of those genres, but will listen to almost anything (except contemporary country and anything currently considered pop/top 40). In fact, I am currently in an AC/DC tribute band so I guess my musical tastes are pretty diverse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe