Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is stronger lining, nylon, rayon or polyester - are they the same?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I've a polyester lining that has torn to shit in just 13 months and another nylon lining (G&B leather jacket) that just wears and wears for years. How can you tell good artificial fabric from bad? Is there a brand to ask for? What are people's thoughts? Especially curious about rayon since this was used decades ago in leather jackets and appears to wear well.

Cheers SL

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Nylon beats them all for durability

Nylon beats them all for durability but poor comfort. Silk is finest in texture. Cotton is great balance in durability and comfort. Cotton/Nylon blend gives best of both worlds, while rayon is more like silk but more durable than silk. Bemberg is closest to pure fine silk but is not silk. Wool is wool, nothing like it- makes great insulation but can irratate many folks. Hope this helps.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Polyester is an atrocity, in all it's forms. As is acrylic and most post-modern fabric materials.
Nylon being an exception, and also rayon.
I agree with P5640blouson as to all the fabrics mentioned. With the possible exception of wool being scratchy in all cases. I have owned wool gabardine shirts from the 40's that were really more like cotton in feel, very soft and easy on the skin. Worsted wool is the only material that has worked, and still works for the knit parts of A2 jackets, and certainly other applications I'm sure.
It doesn't "pill" like synthetic materials such as the dreaded acrylic or various blends of natural and synthetic fibers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I'm interested only in synthetics - cotton and wool I already understand. I'm curious that rayon appears to be hard wearing.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
I forgot to mention polyamide

I forgot to mention polyamide is like nylon, is even stronger and no less and can be made to almost any texture. It is used in jacket on the non contact areas with skin such as the body lining. Very long lasting.

CC-1

Familiar Face
what about (cellulose) acetate?

This synthetic is often used as lining material. I believe the traditional "satin" pea coat lining was acetate. I recently learned just how important the lining of a jacket or coat really is- the controlling element of the garment. If the material is thick it can be hot and uncomfortable, not permitting proper drape or movement. No lining or a lightweight one may allow clothing to sag and look shapeless. Synthetics come in different qualities and weights within types.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
CC-1 said:
This synthetic is often used as lining material. I believe the traditional "satin" pea coat lining was acetate. I recently learned just how important the lining of a jacket or coat really is- the controlling element of the garment. If the material is thick it can be hot and uncomfortable, not permitting proper drape or movement. No lining or a lightweight one may allow clothing to sag and look shapeless. Synthetics come in different qualities and weights within types.

I think that's a valuable contribution, and part of why I asked the question in the first place. Just what is acetate? There are so many dimentions to synthetics.

CC-1

Familiar Face
synthetics

Exactly... many names, overlapping terms and definitions. Acetate is derived from cellulose and so is rayon, yet they are different. But there is something called rayon acetate. Only a professional can sort out this mess. In short, I think rayon clothing is more luxurious and expensive than acetate which seems a little sturdier. I am sure anybody with more knowledge could take me apart. One thing I know, there are different grades, weights and finishes of all of this stuff. I think your real question concerned linings? What kind of jacket are you looking to repair? A real good fabric shop with lots of choices can advise you. The real trick is getting someone expert to replace your lining. There is a real art/science to getting an excellent job. Here it can cost up to $150.00 for a first class job. The lining has to be installed so that it looks smooth and uncreased. But actually there is slack skilfully built into key areas that allows pulling the garment on and off and also plenty of movement just for the wearing. That's why you find those double folded-over hems and center pleats, etc. when you inspect the inside of a good piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe