Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about the Campdraft?

Dannny Boy

Banned
My pleasure & just FYI, the Heritage Silverbelly is considerably different than the Imperial Silverbelly.
Heritage is more grey where Imperial is more tan...
If I was forced to only own 1 Campdraft, it would be the Heritage Moonstone definitely....
Good to know sir.
I was considering whether to purchase a Heritage Moonstone or Bluegrass Green.
I think I will go with the Heritage Moonstone.

Is that kind a grayish blue?
Its hard to tell from the Hats Direct photos, at least for me.
Thank you

Good to know sir.
I was considering whether to purchase a Heritage Moonstone or Bluegrass Green.
I think I will go with the Heritage Moonstone.

Is that kind a grayish blue?
Its hard to tell from the Hats Direct photos, at least for me.
Thank you

I'd go more bluish grey...hard to see in my photo but it is not as dark as glen grey...
IMG_20121214_184450_037.jpg

IMG_20121214_184430_749.jpg

Camp Drafts are pretty easy to get, is one reason I like them, and they're very high quality hats. My favorite is still the Stratoliner, but I'm wearing a Camp Draft today, and just love it. I have two and want more!

Dannny Boy

Banned
Thanks & it is for a modern factory made hat, nice, wider sweat & high grade ribbons...

BTW, Moonstone Campdrafts are only available in the Heritage grade from Hats Direct.
Akubra would not make an Imperial grade Moonstone to protect Hats Direct's exclusivity....
I know its probably like comparing apples to oranges but what is the difference in feel, in felt, between a vintage Stratoliner and the Heritage felt on the Campdraft?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I like Camp Drafts for several reasons. First, I like Open Roads and Camp Drafts look like 1950's ORs. Second, Camp Drafts are as tough as nails. I wear mine in the snow and rain with no ill effect. Third, they come with an open crown allowing me to crease them as I please. So...if you want a tough, well-made hat that is very similar to a 1950-something Open Road...one that you can wear the various ways Open Roads were worn before LBJ made the cattleman's crease popular...then you want a Camp Draft.

AF

Edward

Bartender
I bought a Capmdraft to have a change from my beloved Federations. It's the Deluxe model, in Silverbelly (the only option offered at the time). Wear a lot like a Federation, though much stiffer, and I had to steam shape the brim a little to get the fedora look I wanted (it's not a snap brim). The thin ribbon is a nice difference from the Fed on occasion. I've also made use of the wind trolley on more than one occasion. I really wish Akubra fitted these to the Federation (even as an option).

I know its probably like comparing apples to oranges but what is the difference in feel, in felt, between a vintage Stratoliner and the Heritage felt on the Campdraft?

Most vintage Strats are Royal grade. There are some rare Royal Deluxes out there. The Strat is intended to be a lightweight traveling felt hat per their ad campaign. I've had a Supreme grade Akubra Squatter which is their featherweight felt.
Even still, a vintage Strat is going to be dead felt & have a different hand than any new Akubra.
The Heritage is a denser felt than the Imperial but not as thin as a vintage Strat will be, at least not mine.
I have 3 vintage Royal Stetson Stratoliners & my Heritage Campdraft is a much more substantial felt body but doesn't have the texture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe