Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Had one heck of a great two-hat day.

My birthday is next week and my niece’s was last week so we split the difference and spent the day celebrating together today with the family.

First up, I also went with a Melton (mine’s a Melton Ten) for brunch and an afternoon of fun games. I agree with @TimmyV that these are very fine hats!

IMG_2435.jpeg

IMG_2434.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2436.jpeg

IMG_2442.jpeg
IMG_2440.jpeg

Then I changed into a suit and a JBS Fifteen for dinner, presents and some
more fun times this evening.

IMG_2444.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

We had such a lovely day - one of my favorite birthdays ever.

Edit:
A better shot of the JBS Fifteen. I didn’t get many photos of it this evening. A wonderful vintage, light-weight felt.

IMG_2450.jpeg

Happy weekend to all.

Last edited:

VoodooSan

One Too Many

My birthday is next week and my niece’s was last week so we split the difference and spent the day celebrating together today with the family.

First up, I also went with a Melton Ten for brunch and an afternoon of fun games. I agree with @TimmyV that these are very fine hats!

View attachment 621093
View attachment 621094
View attachment 621095
View attachment 621096
View attachment 621097 View attachment 621098

View attachment 621099
View attachment 621100

Happy weekend to all.
Awesome choices, Nathan!

Mighty44

One Too Many

First up, I also went with a Melton Ten for brunch and an afternoon of fun games. I agree with @TimmyV that these are very fine hats!

View attachment 621093
View attachment 621094
View attachment 621095
View attachment 621096
View attachment 621097 View attachment 621098

View attachment 621099
View attachment 621100

Happy weekend to all.
Beautiful—happy birthday!

MikeinRome

Practically Family
This one just arrived in the mail this morning so it's gonna have my attention for a few days. Mallory Supreme Quality Custom Made in a Gray/Green hue, depending on how the light hits it. The felt does not disappoint as I can mold it like clay. I am curious about the "Custom made" moniker & hope y'all can educate me a lil bit. Could the average Joe actually order a custom made hat straight from the factory ?

View attachment 620731 View attachment 620732 View attachment 620733 View attachment 620734 View attachment 620736 View attachment 620737
I'm not sure that liner is original to the hat. Nothing about the liner says Mallory to me. Just what I suspect.

MikeinRome

Practically Family
I believe you are correct. Brent DeNatly said the same thing. The liner is sewn in but that doesn't mean a thing. Liner also says Supreme Quality where the sweatband is stamped Excellent Quality with the Mallory logo.
If it's sewn in, maybe it is original. I sure don't claim to know everything. Nice hat anyway.

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Day two in Nara. We visited the Kasuga Taisha shrine, a world heritage site. I’ll try to get some pictures up in the Fedoras Afield page lat, but for now…Same hats as yesterday.
I called Etsuko’s a Tula yesterday. It’s actually a Maxim.
IMG_2290.jpeg

Mine remains an Akubra Range.
IMG_2292.jpeg

Deer roam free around Nara.
IMG_2293.jpeg

I made a couple of friends amongst them.
Kneecaps for Nathan (that could be the name of a new thread!)
IMG_2294.jpeg
IMG_2295.jpeg

We came across a wedding ceremony and some headwear I don’t think has been seen on the lounge before.
IMG_2289.jpeg

It’s called a Tsunokakushi, literally a horn hider. It is an (in vain) attempt to hide the horns of the demon woman you are marrying, so you will have a quiet, peaceful marriage. Etsuko didn’t bother. Any attempt to hide those horns would also have been in vain!:D
Kasuga Taisha is a great place to contemplate…
IMG_2288.jpeg

I hope he’s contemplating a full brimmed hat. Though I also wore a cheese cutter for the drive to and from Nara. The big brim of the Akubra isn’t ideal for long distance driving.
IMG_1225.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Day two in Nara. We visited the Kasuga Taisha shrine, a world heritage site. I’ll try to get some pictures up in the Fedoras Afield page lat, but for now…Same hats as yesterday.
I called Etsuko’s a Tula yesterday. It’s actually a Maxim.
View attachment 621213
Mine remains an Akubra Range.
View attachment 621212
Deer roam free around Nara.
View attachment 621211
I made a couple of friends amongst them.
Kneecaps for Nathan (that could be the name of a new thread!)
View attachment 621210 View attachment 621209
We came across a wedding ceremony and some headwear I don’t think has been seen on the lounge before.
View attachment 621214
It’s called a Tsunokakushi, literally a horn hider. It is an (in vain) attempt to hide the horns of the demon woman you are marrying, so you will have a quiet, peaceful marriage. Etsuko didn’t bother. Any attempt to hide those horns would also have been in vain!:D
Kasuga Taisha is a great place to contemplate…
View attachment 621215
I hope he’s contemplating a full brimmed hat. Though I also wore a cheese cutter for the drive to and from Nara. The big brim of the Akubra isn’t ideal for long distance driving. View attachment 621216

What a wonderful post, Gary - full of wit and wonderful photos and all kinds of hats!

“Kneecaps for Nathan” bwahahaha!!! Hide the horns! Bwahahaha! Cheese cutter! (Hahah - I’ve never heard that, it’s great!).

Thanks for a hearty morning laugh and joyful photos of a place I’d love to visit. Nara looks enchanting and you also have me eyeing an Akubra Range!

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
What a wonderful post, Gary - full of wit and wonderful photos and all kinds of hats!

“Kneecaps for Nathan” bwahahaha!!! Hide the horns! Bwahahaha! Cheese cutter! (Hahah - I’ve never heard that, it’s great!).

Thanks for a hearty morning laugh and joyful photos of a place I’d love to visit. Nara looks enchanting and you also have me eyeing an Akubra Range!
Cheesecutter (there shouldn’t have been a space in the original post - spellcheck) is the regular name for that kind of flatcap in New Zealand. It wasn’t so long ago that I thought it was just the regular name all around the world. Anyhow, I love the name and I’ll be damned if I’m going to stop using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld