Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

RickP

Practically Family
Nice one, Rick. Remind us again what it started life as?
Started life as a clean , not-so- small 3x Stetson Cowboy hat (no model tag left so Im not sure which model). Before I sew the black ribbon in, Im going to fit one up in a similar Chocolate Brown ribbon. Then I can decide what to do with the edge binding or stitching.... But the raw edge does actually look pretty nice.

Compress_20240605_182707_7202.jpg
Compress_20240605_182151_1775.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I am messing around today with my Southeast Asia fashion. I’ve just about decided to take the Akubra Fed IV in heritage fawn. It’s replaceable, fun to wear and performs well against the elements. It also adds a certain urban flair to my otherwise somewhat spaghetti western getup (I’m actually thinking about Jodorowski’s “El Topo” when I say that).

This outfit is typical of what I wear in Southeast Asia. I do like the aesthetic (though of course it’s not for everyone) but mostly this is all about real protection from specific elements: the heat and humidity, the sun, and the mosquitos.

The harem trousers are a Thai design (at least, I’ve never seen them anywhere else). They have “wings” at the bottom that open on the sides when I am active but lie down and close off the legs when I am at rest. Absolutely brilliant balance between air flow and mosquito protection.

The shirt is a cheap cotton but the cape and trousers are a very sturdy almost hemp-like cotton used in high quality Thai hill tribes clothing. Very cool in the day and warm at night.

With cape:
IMG_2287.jpeg

Sans cape;
IMG_2320.jpeg

Winged trousers:
IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

The FED IV:
IMG_2312.jpeg

Not everyone’s cuppa tea, but I tell you what - dengue fever ain’t no joke.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I am messing around today with my Southeast Asia fashion. I’ve just about decided to take the Akubra Fed IV in heritage fawn. It’s replaceable, fun to wear and performs well against the elements. It also adds a certain urban flair to my otherwise somewhat spaghetti western getup (I’m actually thinking about Jodorowski’s “El Topo” when I say that).

This outfit is typical of what I wear in Southeast Asia. I do like the aesthetic (though of course it’s not for everyone) but mostly this is all about real protection from specific elements: the heat and humidity, the sun, and the mosquitos.

The harem trousers are a Thai design (at least, I’ve never seen them anywhere else). They have “wings” at the bottom that open on the sides when I am active but lie down and close off the legs when I am at rest. Absolutely brilliant balance between air flow and mosquito protection.

The shirt is a cheap cotton but the cape and trousers are a very sturdy almost hemp-like cotton used in high quality Thai hill tribes clothing. Very cool in the day and warm at night.

With cape:
View attachment 620205

Sans cape;
View attachment 620206

Winged trousers:
View attachment 620209
View attachment 620210

The FED IV:
View attachment 620212

Cargo pockets and a belted Dayak and you’re set.
B

RickP

Practically Family

With cape:
View attachment 620205

Sans cape;
View attachment 620206

Winged trousers:
View attachment 620209
View attachment 620210

The FED IV:
View attachment 620212

With the mosquitos around east Texas, maybe its something we all should consider. A buddys Dad was actually the first documented human West Nile Virus case in Houston a few years. He survived until last year , but had a rough ten years and never did get back to normal. Id call that outfit a GOOD example of form and function. I spent a short stint at the NKP airbase in northeast Thailand back in the 70s.... That might have been a good option if it had come in Marine Corps green lol

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Cargo pockets and a belted Dayak and you’re set.
B

Not exactly a belt, but some Jawanese friends did gift me this excellent strip of material a few years back. I mostly see Malays wearing this type of thing as a head scarf. I’ve only ever worn it for ceremonial purposes.
IMG_2372.jpeg

As for cargo pockets, I have the psytrance version: the super hip double-shoulder-holster-man-purse. This thing is so functional I actually wear it underneath my denim jacket when I drive a truck. Plenty of room for wallets, keys, passport, phone, some tissue, pen and notepad and even a small bottle of water if absolutely necessary.
IMG_2345.jpeg

IMG_2356.jpeg

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
With the mosquitos around east Texas, maybe its something we all should consider. A buddys Dad was actually the first documented human West Nile Virus case in Houston a few years. He survived until last year , but had a rough ten years and never did get back to normal. Id call that outfit a GOOD example of form and function. I spent a short stint at the NKP airbase in northeast Thailand back in the 70s.... That might have been a good option if it had come in Marine Corps green lol

We’ve had a few friends die from dengue, and I’ve heard stories of folks being disabled by it. As bad as I am after COVID, I don’t want to take a chance on anymore mosquito-born diseases. It took me a full three months to recover from dengue the first time I had it.

West Nile in Texas, that’s a shame. I hate to hear folks are being hard hit by these things outside of Florida or Louisiana, but it is kind of a swamp around the Houston area, too, isn’t it?

Environmental scientists claim that 2 billion more people will be regularly exposed to dengue by 2080. Hard to tell the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Last edited:

RickP

Practically Family
We’ve had a few friends die from dengue, and I’ve heard stories of folks being disabled by it. As bad as I am after COVID, I don’t want to take a chance on anymore mosquito-born diseases. It took me a full three months to recover from dengue the first time I had it.

West Nile in Texas, that’s a shame. I hate to hear folks are being hard hit by these things outside of Florida or Louisiana, but it is kind of a swamp around the Houston area, too, isn’t it?

Environmental scientists claim that 2 billion more people will be regularly exposed to dengue by 2080. Hard to tell the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
Ive firmly believed for years that there are about a million mosquitos per capita anywhere on the Texas coast up into east Texas and Louisiana. Common agreement that I understand is that the morning / daytime mosquitos dont carry the same diseases that the evening / night mosquitos do. (Think its a male vs female skeeter thing)

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Ive firmly believed for years that there are about a million mosquitos per capita anywhere on the Texas coast up into east Texas and Louisiana. Common agreement that I understand is that the morning / daytime mosquitos dont carry the same diseases that the evening / night mosquitos do. (Think its a male vs female skeeter thing)
It’s the type of mosquito. I am most familiar with dengue and another one called chikungunya and they are both carried by a daytime mosquito. I would guess malaria is carried by a nighttime mosquito but that’s just a guess. Lucky we don’t deal with malaria in SE Asia except way deep in the jungles.

Oh yeah, the number of mosquitos seen by all of humanity on any given day is a tiny fraction of the total mosquito count. Mosquitos are an essential part of the food chain - take them out and I would wager the chain would collapse in many areas of the world.

RickP

Practically Family
Its the evening / night mosquitos that one really has to be careful with. Between military, law enforcement, and corrections, Ive learned I can tolerate being thrown out of aircraft, walks through the jungle, being thumped on, shot at and cut with a knife... but mosquitos turn me into a whiny little wimp every time lol

RickP

Practically Family
It’s the type of mosquito. I am most familiar with dengue and another one called chikungunya and they are both carried by a daytime mosquito. I would guess malaria is carried by a nighttime mosquito but that’s just a guess. Lucky we don’t deal with malaria in SE Asia except way deep in the jungles.

Oh yeah, the number of mosquitos seen by all of humanity on any given day is a tiny fraction of the total mosquito count. Mosquitos are an essential part of the food chain - take them out and I would wager the chain would collapse in many areas of the world.
As long as the bug zapper on my back patio keeps taking out a cupfull every day Ill risk removing them from my back yard lol

"Windsor" made by Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl, possibly late 1950s. Non brand name hats were common in this time period. The quality was usually the same as the branded hats which is the case with this one. I found this Soft Felt back in 2012.

53782955368_d921796077_h.jpg

53783071154_14c3a135f7_h.jpg

53783082884_017f112fa1_h.jpg

53783078589_98d4c43664_h.jpg

53783169475_7f19d7ba46_h.jpg

53782997628_e28894edfa_h.jpg

Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl Hat Holder. I found this Hat Holder back in 2010.

4534856121_6f0e228aca_b.jpg

VoodooSan

One Too Many
"Windsor" made by Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl, possibly late 1950s. Non brand name hats were common in this time period. The quality was usually the same as the branded hats which is the case with this one. I found this Soft Felt back in 2012.

53782955368_d921796077_h.jpg

53783071154_14c3a135f7_h.jpg

53783082884_017f112fa1_h.jpg

53783078589_98d4c43664_h.jpg

53783169475_7f19d7ba46_h.jpg

53782997628_e28894edfa_h.jpg

Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl Hat Holder. I found this Hat Holder back in 2010.

4534856121_6f0e228aca_b.jpg
Very handsome hat, indeed!

TimmyV

One of the Regulars
I like that mid-ribbon a lot. J.C. Penney sold some nice hats. We normally assume they were made by Lee, but that may be up for grabs in some cases.

I appreciate the information as I like to learn about these old hats. With that being said, this morning I decided to wear my Flight Sweep by Lee. I think the back bow treatment sets this one apart. The felt molds easily without steam and the hat appears to be well made in my eye.
20240611_070449.jpg
20240611_070458.jpg
20240611_070506.jpg
20240611_070509.jpg
20240611_070520.jpg
20240611_070524.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld