Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 556025 View attachment 556026 View attachment 556027

Champ Imperial - Purple Grey
5 1/2 Crown Open - About 4 5/8 as shaped
3/4 Purple Grosgrain Mid-ribbon
2 3/4 Brim with 1/8 matching grosgrain binding
Reedless Sweat

This is exactly the kind of hat I love to take a chance on. Extremely unusual purple felt Champ Imperial with an ever so slight shag finish. The hat has almost identical specs and proportions to my Champ Featherweight hats. My gut says this one slightly older than those… but likely still a 40s hat. There is some white marks on the inside tip of the crown. I am unable to ascertain whether it is part of a tip imprint of this currently liner free hat… or if it at one point did have a liner. The Champ featherweight hats were liner free other than a stitched in oilskin tip protector. It is possible this a forerunner with a tip logo. It arrived extremely dirty and out of shape but after a level 10 brushing/scrubbing and a good steam it cleaned and shaped up very well. There is still some slight felt discoloration that is not real noticeable and two areas of moth tracks on the brim. More clean up/repair work could diminish both. At 6 3/4 it is a bit smaller in size.. but with its unreeded sweat it kinda squeezed onto my head well and has loosened up quickly. I’m playing with a few different brim looks. I think for me hats with a 2 3/4 brim look best with the front broke down… along with a slight up curl at the edge.

when it comes to purple hats… it is hard not to venture into The Joker territory…. But this is one that really gets it right.

Black's!

Joker? Don't you mean The Godfather?
Screenshot_20231028_194341_Chrome.jpg

Pimpin' ain't easy!

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
My cheap Montgomery Ward house brand and got a few compliments at the game. Only because I was the only one wearing such a hat.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One point loss. Gut wrenching. The luck wasn’t with us, but proud of the performance. They gave it everything. Still happy to support the coolest sports team on the planet.
How I empathise with that feeling. Last Saturday it was England's pain to lose by a single point.
Raining..jpg
Our clocks went back last night. We have had an extra hour of rain. Looks like a raincoat and an umbrella over the hat to church this morning.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Grren Blazer 007.jpg
Is Sools a Dutch retailer Stefan? I've heard of the French company Laubin, they have many a mention on the French hat makers thread. Your hats on a Sunday have become part of the weekend. When we have been away at a festival I've had a sneak peak, only to get caught by the lady. "Are you looking at The Lounge again?" She will chastise. "No dear," I lie, on a Sunday too. You're leading me astray.
Green Blazer 003.JPG

In sympathy with Gary, a black hat, not for mourning though, what a great game the Rugby final was, hence the blazer. Too subtle for you? The green stripe for The Springboks and the All Blacks need no explanation.

View attachment 556115
Is Sools a Dutch retailer Stefan? I've heard of the French company Laubin, they have many a mention on the French hat makers thread. Your hats on a Sunday have become part of the weekend. When we have been away at a festival I've had a sneak peak, only to get caught by the lady. "Are you looking at The Lounge again?" She will chastise. "No dear," I lie, on a Sunday too. You're leading me astray.
View attachment 556116
In sympathy with Gary, a black hat, not for mourning though, what a great game the Rugby final was, hence the blazer. Too subtle for you? The green stripe for The Springboks and the All Blacks need no explanation.
Thank you, Robert. Gérard Sools was a French retailer located in Paris. I believe in their heyday they had numerous outlets in that city. Hard to go wrong if you can find one of their hats, because they went for quality no matter who the manufacturer was. As they say, Robert: virtue won't hurt you, but vice is nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld