Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Want For Christmas This Year?

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
My Christmas Wish - -A MAJOR AWARD -- FRAGILE

James Powers to request that he be allowed to stretch all my cheap hats until they fit me again and replace the ones he damages from his vast inventory.

Prairie Shade said:
James Powers to request that he be allowed to stretch all my cheap hats until they fit me again and replace the ones he damages from his vast inventory.

Again the answer involves money. :p
Stretch cheap hats?! Good luck. They snap back like rubber bands. You go back the next day and they fit your dog better than they do you. :p

Regards to all,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Material things, I can get for myself...

Time spent with loved ones is more important than anything they can give me.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
All I want for Christmas is ....

Being with my sweet mother will be a treat. I will be with other family members, too, but that might be tedious. Will set up my miniature tree and decorations, little bear collection, some lights -- and enjoy the cold Iowa winter for the first time in eons. Maybe there will be snow.

This year, I am downsizing the presents, but will put together stockings for the five children (four great nephews and a niece) and fill them with goodies and little toys. The kids have had everything in the world, according to mother, but they haven't had a stocking filled with fun things. I will send some things back to my two dear friends in SD who I miss.

I have just about every hat and cap I ever wanted. But I might treat myself to a tartan newsboy cap from Brett at B!Wear. I will have to get my own presents because mother will not be wanting to buy hats for me, nor will anyone else for that matter. Too many hats, they say. They do not understand.

Nothing else, honest. I would like to pay off a lot of my bills and be out of debt in a few months. That would be the best Holiday present of all.... I already treated myself to a gym membership to work out and get myself back in shape and lose some weight.

karol

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I would explain it but it would get me thrown off. :p Ask Michaelson. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Prepare to pay BIG bucks for one, if you can find it! "Erotic repeater" It's a VERY rare chiming hour/quarter hour pocketwatch that had autotronic figures inside the watch of (usually) a male and female doing, uh, compromising things to each other, moved by the motion of the balance wheel. They were popular with the titled crowd back in the 1700 and thru the mid 1800's, and were considered an 'inside joke' between men, as no one else saw them but fellow members of the club. They still come out of hiding in estate closures in Europe, and were only custom made by special order. They're VERY collectable, and VERY hard to find in working condition, or ANY kind of condition for that matter....but if you DO find one, the sky's the limit in price. I have only personally seen one working model in my life, and it's something to behold!

Boy, J, you sure go for broke when you want something. :)

Go man, go!!:cheers1:

High regards! Michaelson

Oh, they were called 'repeaters', as most houses up until the late 1800's had no lighting but candles, and it was custom to turn off chiming clocks at bedtime. To keep from having to light a candle to check your watch for the time in the middle of the night, you could trigger a mechanism (usually a button on the side of the watch, depending on the watchmakers and his specific design) that would chime the last quarter hour that had passed, and the MORE elaborate would chime the last hour AND quarter hour, so you knew the time within 15 minutes of the actual time on the clock, hense a 'repeater' of the time by strike. There. More than you ever cared to know about the subject. (grins)

You know the funny thing is that I once knew a jewler and watch repair guy that had one many years ago. He wanted $300 for it and I just didn't have the money nor the inclination to spend that much. I suppose it was a mistake when I think back on it now. :p
Very good explanation Michaelson. I didn't have to edit anything. Very skillful wording. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'm glad there's no count to the number of times someone edits a post. I lost count on THAT one. (grins)

Man, that's TOO bad you didn't grab that one....but hind sight is always 20/20! I used to hang around the railroad watch inspectors shop in my home town in the 60's, and could have picked up old 18s railroad watch trade-ins for pennies on the dollar. Did I? NOOOooooooo.:rolleyes: I'm now watching them sell on fleabay and other venues for thousands of dollars, and we're only talking a mere 30 to 40 years ago that these were considered no better than scrap metal to the watchmaker who had them in his bottom drawer. I'm sure if I had asked on a good day, he would have just given them to me to clean out the space!

Ah well. Sorry folks. Watch discussions derail me everytime.;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
OOOooooo, you're a man after my own heart! Remind me to buy the next round!!!:cheers1: ;)

I guess to keep on topic, my wishes are pretty simple....a new pair of bedroom shoes, and a nice gold filled watch chain to wear on my trousers heavy enough to support an 18s pocket watch would be appreciated. That's all.

HIGH REGARDS!!!!:)

Michaelson

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
I used to hang around the railroad watch inspectors shop in my home town in the 60's, and could have picked up old 18s railroad watch trade-ins for pennies on the dollar.
That reminds me of when I was a kid and my granddad told me about his "ten dollar railroad watch"..........it was made of tin, cost a dollar and ran like a freight train!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe