Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

PenMan

Familiar Face
Having read this entire post, I re-examined my routine. I did some research on the web, went to the shop and bought some King of Shaves oil. I tried to shave with just that. The result was abysmal. I then used that as an underlay and put a layer of King of Shaves Magnetic gel on top. With my old two blade system, and then, the next time, my Mach 3 (after a good washing to start the process), I got reasonable results. The best results I get, however, are with Gillette Series Gel and a Mach 3 blade, and it costs less than the King of Shaves stuff.

I don't really care about the cost. I must have a light beard because I get almost a month from a blade. That means I spend about $15 a year on blades and product.

Now onto the real point. I don't believe that many of you are using fancy gear to scrape the hair off your face because it yields the best shave, or even because it saves you a dollar amount similar to a daily stick of gum over your lifetime. I think the reason you do it is because you have discovered a fairly elaborate ritual that produces a unique sort of satisfaction.

In fact, I think I will now go and start a new thread asking what other rituals you engage in.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I can't speak for others, but to me it's both. My straight razor and shaving soap do, I think, give a better shave than my old Mach 3. But there is a ritual to the whole thing, yes. Another way to connect with the past, perhaps.

It's sort of like smoking a pipe. It's not about the smoke or the nicotene. It's the ritual of packing, charring, lighting, tamping, drawing, relighting, etc. It's relaxing. Some people may find it difficult to relax with a 3" razorblade at their throat, but I like taking the time to do the thing right.

PenMan

Familiar Face
Nick D, nice example of another ritual. I don't smoke, but I can see how the pipe would be highly evocative--and I do love the smell of certain types of pipe tobacco (unlike cigarettes and cigars).

Duck

Practically Family
Barbasol foam, cheap Gillette dispoable twin blade razors, hot water, and wife's hand lotion.
1. Use hot water to wet the skin.
2. Rub the Barbasol in well. It takes very little foam, really.
3. Shave with hot water in a north / south direction.
4. Re-wet face with hot water.
5. Wet you hand and put 1 pump of hand lotion on your hand.
6. Rub lotion on the wet skin.
7. Shave in a cross-grain direction

This is my everyday shave and it leaves the face very smooth. The shave will pass the credit card test and make rookies think you are a shaving God!:D

dnjan

One Too Many
PenMan said:
Now onto the real point. I don't believe that many of you are using fancy gear to scrape the hair off your face because it yields the best shave, or even because it saves you a dollar amount similar to a daily stick of gum over your lifetime. I think the reason you do it is because you have discovered a fairly elaborate ritual that produces a unique sort of satisfaction.
Some of the "ritual" is the ecological effect. The total amount of solid waste produced from shaving with a brush, mug and straightrazor consists of the cardboard box (recyclable) that the shaving soap came in. No shaving cream cans, no replacement blade cartridges, etc.

So yes, it can be considered a ritual, but the impacts are broader than one would originally think.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I have a straight razor but have never had good results on my face. I use it for the back of my neck. I do use a mug and brush and have since I has in high school. I have a nice brass razor from avon that uses trac II blades. The razor itself must be at the perfect angle for me because when I use my travel razor with the same blades,it's not as close. On the subject of blades; I get my trac IIs from the dollar store. I have found them to geive me a better shave than the much more expensive name brands. I can get about two weeks from one blade. They probably are the name brands just in a different package.

Off the mega-multi-turbo-jizzomstrip dispo bandwagon

Had been using what turned out to be a Mekur Travel razor, thriftshop find, but requiring a "trak-II"©™® blade. Now getting used to a Mekur (23C?) taking "old fashioned" double edge blades at about twenty cents per, and loving that with just the lather from my regular Trader Joe's French Milled tea tree bar, applied by hand, skin "set up" taught by said hand prior to each swipe of the razor. Hefty little unit, that German steel.

Barry

Practically Family
I recently switched to a Feather "Artist Club" straight (with disposable blades, I'm using pro-guard right now). I usually use either Trumper's soaps or Mitchell's Woolfat soap when I shave and then I follow up with Feather Kanwa Aftershave.

Barry

dnjan

One Too Many
I think that the effect of a hot mug of shaving soap is underestimated. I started to appreciate the effect years ago when I was pre-heating my thermos to take the rest of my morning pot of tea into work. I poured boiling water into the thermos, and instead of pouring it out 5 minutes later, I started pouring it into my shaving mug. Hot shaving foam is a great feeling, and it makes the shave smoother.

panamag8or

Practically Family
dnjan said:
I think that the effect of a hot mug of shaving soap is underestimated. I started to appreciate the effect years ago when I was pre-heating my thermos to take the rest of my morning pot of tea into work. I poured boiling water into the thermos, and instead of pouring it out 5 minutes later, I started pouring it into my shaving mug. Hot shaving foam is a great feeling, and it makes the shave smoother.

Absolutely. I have a potpourri crock that I fill with water while I shower, and by the time I'm shaving, it is nice and warm. I let the brush and bowl rest in it between passes.

funneman

Practically Family
You all are gonna hate me but,

I find that conditioner works as a great shaving cream.

The shampoo always runs out first, so there's always plenty of conditioner laying around. It works great, and leaves my skin feeling "baby soft."lol

Since I leave the house at 5am, I shave in the shower sans mirror.

I figure if Ray Charles could shave himself all those years, I should be able to tough it out in the shower.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
funneman said:
I find that conditioner works as a great shaving cream.

The shampoo always runs out first, so there's always plenty of conditioner laying around. It works great, and leaves my skin feeling "baby soft."lol

Since I leave the house at 5am, I shave in the shower sans mirror.

I figure if Ray Charles could shave himself all those years, I should be able to tough it out in the shower.

I tried this out and now I will never use shaving cream again.. Thanks....

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Need Advice on Vintage Razors

I'm sick of my electric razor not getting the job done.

It is time to become an adult and shave the proper way with shaving soap, a brush, and water.

My question is: do any of you use a vintage safety razor?

I have seen old Gillettes for sale and wonder if they work as good as a newly made safety razors?

Amazon.com has several new Mekurs from Germany that look great.

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Classi...2-5062305?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1183471193&sr=1-1

I can't imagine though there being much improvement in what essentially is a blade holder (despite the addition of a hundred blades so shaving becomes like a slap fight with Edward Scissorhands).

Thanks, as always, for the invaluable advice.

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I've been shaving with a DE for several years no and have Several Merkurs and vintage Gillettes. My favorites are Merkur Progress available new from classicshaving.com, I like it better then the HD, classic or slantbar. Of the Gillettes I like both the Fatboy and the Slim adjustables, My 1950 Aristocrat's one of my favorites also, the Superspeeds and the Tech 3 piece razors are also fine shaves. E-bay is your source for vintage razors (just don't over pay) also for blades in bulk, Israeli and Derby blades can be had for about $16 for 100.
http://badgerandblade.com
http://www.shavemyface.com
These are the sites where I learned most of what I know.
Good luck. Bob.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I remember my dad using Gilette Blue Blades. Good for one, maybe two shaves, then you throw them away. What a mess. And not as sharp as stainless steel. The Wilkerson Sword Stainless Steel blade was the greatest step forward in shaving history. Now if you really want to get vintage, try a straight razor! I remember the barber using them on my sideburns when I was a kid, and it's a nice sensation. Men who have used them regularly swear by them. It's hard to find shaving soap. Brooks Bros still carries it, I think. I bought a cake there several years ago, but I'm not sure if they have it any more. I have two shaving brushes. One is all natural pig bristle, made in China. I looked at my larger one recently and was amazed to see it was made of badger bristle! Lathering it on is a great sensation, but I only do that very rarely. I just use regular hand soap and lather up my face with my hands. The real secret of a good shave, aside from a shap blade, is to soak your beard in HOT water. That's why in the old days the barber took a steaming hot towel and wrapped it around your face for several minutes before he shaved you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe