Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about this Hombourg ?

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Cufflinks_Carl said:
Thanks to all who helped me to know more about hats.

So far, this is my favorite hat.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?view=63&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

1) But isn't the Homgourg supposed to have no side creases ?

2) Is it a good thing that one can reshape it easily with no steam ?

3) Isn't the edge a bit large ?

Thanks

I think it's very difficult to judge a hat from one angle. Plus, my work monitor (which is what I'm using right now) is considerably darker than my home computer and that hat just looks like a black blob to me right now. With that said...

I just bought my first fedora. It's an Akubra Sydney, which comes with an open crown, but most photos will show it with a bash. I suppose that's just so you have an idea what it would look like after you bash it. The Homburg you're looking at also comes with an open crown (indicated at the top of the page). I'm no hat expert, as I mentioned before, and especially because of it, I like the fact that I can shape the crown. That way I can try different bashes to see what I think [huh]. Once you steam it, it's not so easy to change, so yes, it's a good thing to be able to reshape without steam.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
Mustang said:
I think it's very difficult to judge a hat from one angle. Plus, my work monitor (which is what I'm using right now) is considerably darker than my home computer and that hat just looks like a black blob to me right now. With that said...

I just bought my first fedora. It's an Akubra Sydney, which comes with an open crown, but most photos will show it with a bash. I suppose that's just so you have an idea what it would look like after you bash it. The Homburg you're looking at also comes with an open crown (indicated at the top of the page). I'm no hat expert, as I mentioned before, and especially because of it, I like the fact that I can shape the crown. That way I can try different bashes to see what I think [huh]. Once you steam it, it's not so easy to change, so yes, it's a good thing to be able to reshape without steam.

Thanks, I wasn't used to the term "open crown" so I didn't catch it meant that in this add.

So this is a virgin I need to educate...

Question =
Is an open crown a hat you can bash as many time as you want endlessly or a normal hat not shaped yet which will take a shape once wet or steamed and become stiff ?

epic610

One of the Regulars
Cufflinks, IMHO your suspicions

are valid. to me, the homburg is a more formal hat that doesn't let itself to frequent re-shaping. there is something called a "pinched" homburg which has side dents, but this is not the traditional look.

if you check out the site for Miller's hats, they have a wide selection of homburg styles. or the Dobbs' Sulgrave or Borsalino homburg on the Bencraft site.

the classic look has a simple center-crease.

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
epic610 said:
are valid. to me, the homburg is a more formal hat that doesn't let itself to frequent re-shaping. there is something called a "pinched" homburg which has side dents, but this is not the traditional look.

if you check out the site for Miller's hats, they have a wide selection of homburg styles. or the Dobbs' Sulgrave or Borsalino homburg on the Bencraft site.

the classic look has a simple center-crease.

Thanks

I like the hat you have in your pic. What is it ?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Looks like the rather unhappy love child of a "Cagney" style fedora and a stingy brim Homburg. Check out Miller hats for some true Homburg goodness.:)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
This "homburg" might make a better lord's hat (featured recently in A Suitable Wardrobe and pictured below - on the gent at right). It's not right on, but it's close.

lord%27s%2Bhat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe