Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you NOT Want for Christmas?

Nashoba

One Too Many
Radioflyer said:
I DO love fruitcakes. There are about three people in the world that actually likes them and I'm one of them. Send them all my way. You WILL pay the postage, right?

rf

My mom makes this wicked fruitcake that literally takes a month to make because it pretty much ferments. It's not the surgary brick that you find in the stores. It's an honest to god old school drenched in liquor preserved fruitcake. It's so potent I thought I was going to get tipsy off the fumes. She's very proud of it. I won't touch it.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Godfrey Park said:
I like fruitcake too... so where's the third person? :)

Here I am!:coffee: Love, love fruit cake! I hate to say I am not even discriminating. I will even buy the 2 year old store bought stuff. But that is not to say that i do not appreciate what a beautiful thing it is to be presented with a fine, fruit & nut gorged, rum-soaked cake.

In my family I am known as the one who will joyfully accept all offers of abandoned & unloved fruitcake every January.

Which, perhaps, explains why i no longer have my girlish figure:eek:

Ok, I have to ask---what draws you to the fruitcake? Is it the flavor, the texture, the rum?
I just have to know because just seeing one makes me lose my apetite. [huh]
Perhaps it is beacause I still have grandma's wedding cake topper, which was fruitcake--from 1916. It looks just as good now as it did then! Is formaldehyde an ingredient? :eek:

Regards,

J

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
I don’t want another freaking sweater. My family is insistent on getting me sweaters. Maybe I never ware then because I don’t like them. Surly they realizes it’s not a lack of sweaters as I seem to add five to my collection every year.

I hope they have all done the good will more good then they have done me.

over heat easy and in the bay area there’s never a consistent temperature. So I prefer light layers I can remove as needed. It’s worse when I go to work. It could be cold outside but in the office it’s going to be a “toasty” (for me) 72 in the building. The last thing I want is to be stuck in a sweater.

Don’t reply suggesting a Sweater vest, or else the Optimo gets it!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
Pots, pans. Sort of like the artist kit thing. "I know you like to cook so I got this non-stick pan from Walmart."

"Oooohhh, thanks. I'll hang it up where I was saving space for the french copper pan with the tinned lining..."

lol
I know. Its like:

"Hey that was on sale at the art store."

"Oh well did you see it next to the glass display case of the Grumbacher hogs hair oak handle bristle brushes that are $30 each? I could have dug one of those. (I have two and they have lasted for 3 years).

LD

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Serial Hero said:
I too enjoy fruitcake. In fact, I don’t buy into the whole, nobody likes fruitcake thing. Why would a business continue to make and sell a product that nobody likes or wants?

In my line of work I have to keep an Apple Mac around to test various software and web applications. I often wonder if the only people buying Macs are the people who need to maintain quality testing on all current platforms.

Little do we know the only people who own a mac for another else and bill Jobs and Woz.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vermifuge said:
In my line of work I have to keep an Apple Mac around to test various software and web applications. I often wonder if the only people buying Macs are the people who need to maintain quality testing on all current platforms.

Little do we know the only people who own a mac for another else and bill Jobs and Woz.

HAHAHAHA you clearly haven't read the numerous Mac threads here.

Unless we are all clones of the above mentioned people...and last I checked I wasn't.....then there are plenty of folks who have macs, and not for QT on apps.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
HAHAHAHA you clearly haven't read the numerous Mac threads here.

Unless we are all clones of the above mentioned people...and last I checked I wasn't.....then there are plenty of folks who have macs, and not for QT on apps.

I'm sure you are correct. But in reality i wonder that % of new macs sold are for support only.

Don't get me wrong i use a mac at home (dual boot) but that's because i work from home. :p

Rosie

One Too Many
PROUD Mac owner here. One of MANY as Miss Neecerie pointed out.

My daddy LOVED fruitcake, everyone would bring him one and he'd eat some everyday, right through the New Year. YUCK!

I get the art supplies too. Cheap hard brushes and wxy weird pastels. Last year I got a really, really, really cheap chinese ink set. It sits on my art supply shelf untouched.

I get the baking supplies, cheap spring form pans and cookie cutters that rust or break up. lol

One of my sisters, who I actually don't like (and is the only person in this world I don't like) INSISTS on buying me the most outrageously awful stuff year after year. Last year, and I SWEAR I'm not lying, she bought me what I believe to be arm warmers with tiny sequins buterflies all over them. Not very long ago, she bought me a mulit colored straw bag and a few years before that she bought me a train case of makeup, you kow those cheap ones they sell during Xmas at places like KMart and Target? After those arm warmers, I asked her not to get me anything else. It might be rude but geesh, I didn't want her to waste her money since her gifts go into the trash no later than the 27th. I don't know what's up with that broad.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Ok, I have to ask---what draws you to the fruitcake? Is it the flavor, the texture, the rum?
I just have to know because just seeing one makes me lose my apetite. [huh]
Perhaps it is beacause I still have grandma's wedding cake topper, which was fruitcake--from 1916. It looks just as good now as it did then! Is formaldehyde an ingredient? :eek:

Regards,

J

Fruitcake is awesome! Not the cheap drug store variety mind you, but real down home honest to goodness home made fruitcake. :essen:
If you want something done right ya gotta do it yourself. :)

S

Samsa

Maybe I'm turning into Scrooge at the tender age of 24, but I don't want anything this Christmas. I'm not trying to turn this into a religious or political thread, but I' just sick of accumulating THINGS; I have enough. I would much rather spend time with family and friends. I've tried persuading my family to go the "no-presents" route, but to no avail; at least we've set a very low price threshhold for gifts.

GOK

One Too Many
Fletch said:
I like English "Christmas cake" = basically fruitcake without the rubbery green and red bits, and clad in a white carapace of icing that's damn near bulletproof.

You forgot to mention the divine yumminess that is marzipan. <le sigh> Since becoming a vegan I haven't found a truly wonderful fruit cake, either bought or home made (by me). Which means I just have to eat the marzipan by itself. How tragic ;)

Cabinetman said:
Don't tell anyone you like anything. They are bound to run away with the thought and get you that, and only that (and a lot of that) for years to come.

I know, what is it with people? How does, "I like that" translate into "I must have everything even mildly related to it"?

One of the bonuses of no longer being a teacher means I don't have to receive truckloads of chocolates, candles and ornaments every year. I feel so mean saying that but there are only so many sparkly snowmen and fuzzy reindeer a person can handle. Still, it was sweet that the children themselves chose the presents - their parents used to buy me untold bottles of wine...which would be great if I wasn't teetotal!

This may sound jaded, but...

In general, most gifts such as clothes or what ever are rarely what I want at all.
I have shirts and jackets I will never wear that were gifts.

You want to get me something? Ask what I need and listen, please
or else what you are buying for me is guilt and that trip of regret to the Salvation Army.

Now gift certificates, those rock!
I can choose something cool that I will actually use.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Let's summarize the art and science of bad gift giving:

Single-item overload. You really can have enough ties, sweaters and nick-nacks.
Sub-par gifts for an expert. The gourmet knows cheap pans; the artist knows cheap pens. They don't like them or need them. Experts know precisely, specifically what they want in their area.
Sugary gifts, either literally or metaphorically. Even vintage ladies don't always like cutesy gifts. And fruitcake: people either love it or hate it. We all hate the kind with the rubbery fruit.
Cheap gifts. (Not to be confused with good gifts somehow purchased inexpensively.) There's a time to save money, and there's a time to spend it.
Completely unnecessary gifts. Not everyone is in the spirit of ka-chingle all the way.
Substitute gifts. Thomas Sowell says he feels sorry for people who do 90% of what it takes to be successful. Don't be that person.
WTF gifts. Arm warmers??? Lingerie for a tomboy??? Alcohol for a non-drinker??? Why are you exchanging gifts with a stranger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe