Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did your grandparents pack for personal protection in the Golden Era?

bingolittle

New in Town
...guns require a higher amount of responsibility to own and use...our society just does not have that ability anymore....i was not allowed to touch a firearm without supervision until i was 14 years old and after then i was rationed ammo...i was instructed to shoot boards to learn what damage it could do....when i managed to shoot an animal for pest control, i quickly learned that death was always very close.....i am an avid sport shooter now (sporting clays and skeet) and just do not have the time to hunt.....my grandfather always carried a colt official police revolver in .38 special.....my great-grandfather carried a .45 colt army revolver and a .35 remington rifle...

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
The last gun my grandpa carried was a .22 Ruger Bear Cat. Not sure of the age of it. He use to sleep with it under his pillow. He gave it to my father and later one of my brothers got it. When my father got alzeheimers and started threatening my mother, my mother took his gun and gave it to one of my brothers to keep. It was a Single Action Model 1873 Colt copy from what it looks like and very accurate.

Gray Ghost

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those little Bearcats are fun. I bought one a year or so back to take my buddy's kids shooting with as soon as mom says it's okay.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
My grandpa on my dad's side carried a mexican stilletto that he bought in the 1930s. As for a firearm, I was under the impression that he didn't bother to keep one on his person. He did, however, own a 1911 of some sort that's yet to be unearthed from the copious amount of worldy possessions that was left behind. Evidently I'm the only one in the family that wants it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
The Wingnut said:
He did, however, own a 1911 of some sort that's yet to be unearthed from the copious amount of worldy possessions that was left behind. Evidently I'm the only one in the family that wants it.

Brother, I think our old-timers all belonged to the same Union of rat-packing. lol

Keep diggin', that .45 will show up someday.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
My grandfather carried a 1911. I think one of my cousins ended up with it. I did find a loaded magazine and a box of rounds with WW2 dates.

My great uncle had a nickel plated S&W .38 Special M&P with pearl grips.* He had it in 1933 when he married my great aunt. I'm not sure what he carried it in. When my aunt gave it to me it was in a shoe box. For 1930s I carry it in an "Untouchables" shoulder holster from A.E. Nelson Leather. It's made like the one Robert Stack wore on TV. My shoulder holster was $66. One of the guys in my club had Nelson make a double shoulder rig for his two 1911s. It only cost $130 or so. They have a great product for the price.

Les

* I know what Patton said about pearl handles....that's why I like that .38 so much.

rongoms

Familiar Face
Vintage Firearms???

(OK, so I know this might be a touchy subject, so if it offends you greatly, i'd advise you not to read the thread.)

So, Is there anyone else here who carries a firearm, vintage or otherwise, while dressed in vintage clothing?
Do you use vintage or vintage inspired accessories ie holsters, etc?

I've stumbled across a nice Remington-Rand 1911 Govt model, mfg 1943 that i picked up for a song....and I'm thinking about having a local gunleather guy make me a 1950's style shoulder holster.
I can't bring myself to carry a wheelgun, so a 1911 or a Brwoning Hi-Power is about the only option for this period.

Thoughts?

undertaker

Practically Family
Mine is a 1975 Smith & Wesson .38, 2" barrel, nickel finish with walnut grips. I have been looking for a leather shoulder holster my self and had not thought about having one made, Thanks for the idea. I can find the nylon ones but they just do not look the same. I carry it now in one of those suede leather in the pants holsters and it is not comfortable at all.

Regards,
J.S.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I dont carry.
My one vintage handgun is a broomhandled Mauser.
Might be a bit cumbersome under the arm.

One thing about a wheel gun is they dont jam.
Maybe you need a nice old Colt long 38 hanging on the other side for back up. ;)

Elaina

One Too Many
I carry a gun 99% of the time, wether I'm dressed vintage or not.

It's not much more then a cap gun (.25), and I have the luxury of lugging it in a purse instead of a holster.

I DO have a garter holster, although it's almost too large for it, and those haven't changed since...like ever.

vonwotan

Practically Family
For my 1911s I like the Galco Original Jackass shoulder rigs, but anything on my small frame looks huge under my suits. I wind up wearing my little S&W titanium .38 inside the waistband or my Seecamp .32 in a little push up Galco holster. It hides just below my waistband.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I usually carry a .38 5-shot snubnose, although not a vintage production piece.

I have been known to carry a Soviet 1922-dated Nagant service revolver from time to time, however. It has come in surprisingly handy to have around.

DOUGLAS

Boy you guys and gals are lucky you don't live here in NYC.
These days My favorites are an 1889 Argentinean Mauser engineers carbine and a 41 P-08.

DOUGLAS

For black powder I have a Colt Walker and an Army Colt.Both just a bit heavy to hide under a jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe