Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colour fedora?

Torpedo

One Too Many
A black hat would be needed if we were discussing a formal attire in the strict sense - a tux. A homburg preferably. But a suit is not "formal" in that sense, so a grey or brown hat is a perfectly adequate choice, and does not make an outfit casual, provided it has a conventional ribbon.

Of course, nowadays a suit is regarded as formal, because suits are not so prevalent as in days past, and if you wear one you are considered to be "dressed up".

Tobzors

New in Town
I'll be using it mostly for casual. But I might use it for formal occasions once in a while.

Looks like it's gonna be grey. I don't want to look too formal, but I would like to look kinda like a made man :)

p.s - If the hat's gonna be grey that means my coat would have to be grey as well, right?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Tobzors said:
I'll be using it mostly for casual. But I might use it for formal occasions once in a while.

Looks like it's gonna be grey. I don't want to look too formal, but I would like to look kinda like a made man :)

p.s - If the hat's gonna be grey that means my coat would have to be grey as well, right?

Not necessarily. Not a matching grey or too similar a colour, in any case. If you are wearing an overcoat, the hat is supposed to harmonize with it, more than with the jacket underneath. So, if the hat is going to be grey, the coat may be a different grey, or blue, or black, or brown. A hat in a warm shade of grey will pair nicely with many browns, for instance.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Torpedo said:
A black hat would be needed if we were discussing a formal attire in the strict sense - a tux.

A tuxedo is considered "Black Tie" in the US and is a step above formal.

A homburg would not be appropriate with a tux at a "Black Tie" event. Much too informal. Top hat or no hat.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Tobzors said:
So the coat should match the tone and not the color, so to speak?

That's about it. You need not to try matching the colour. It is not desirable, in fact. Picking a different shade or hue of the colour (more intense, or less intense, looking for contrast) is better. Either that, or go for complementary colours.

Torpedo

One Too Many
BanjoMerlin said:

A homburg would not be appropriate with a tux at a "Black Tie" event. Much too informal. Top hat or no hat.

I am not an expert on the matter, but I understand that is a modern usage of the term "formal"; but "Black Tie" and "White Tie" are both formal.

If I am not wrong, top hats go with tails only. For tux, a black (or midnight blue, depending on the tux's colour) homburg would be correct. A fedora would be admissible I think. And a boater for summer.

Regards!

George A.Bailey

New in Town
Undertow said:
My question to you is what color shoes will you wear with the suit? Certainly not green. Will you wear black, cordovan, brown? Although not a rule of thumb, you may try matching your hat to your shoes (and belt?) if you're in a pinch.

I have both Brown and Black shoes, yet I only have Grey and Black hats. I don't think Black would go very well with this colour ruling out the hat/shoe matching. I do have a brown belt to match the shoes, though I tend not to wear belts with suits, I'm more of a braces chap.

I am willing to buy a brown hat if neccessary, though I do agree that a grey would go quite nicely.

Torpedo

One Too Many
George A.Bailey said:
I have both Brown and Black shoes, yet I only have Grey and Black hats. I don't think Black would go very well with this colour ruling out the hat/shoe matching. I do have a brown belt to match the shoes, though I tend not to wear belts with suits, I'm more of a braces chap.

I am willing to buy a brown hat if neccessary, though I do agree that a grey would go quite nicely.

I know lots of people say that black goes with everything, but I disagree. It depends on the black, too. Black is rarely "true black", so its particular characteristics will play a part too.

If your grey hat is of a shade harmonic with that green of the suit, you do not need another hat.

Mav

A-List Customer
BanjoMerlin said:

mmmmmm....no. Following strict, traditional standards, a "tux" (I hate that term, as well) is semi- formal (black tie); white tie and tails is formal (white tie). A nebulous category has been made up for suits- at- evening- events, and it's usually something along the lines of "business attire" or "cocktail attire." My company uses "cocktail attire" in their invitations for their Christmas party, and the clothes range from t- shirts and jeans to about two of us wearing dark suits (me and the boss), so I guess that really doesn't matter.

A hat isn't really a part of the outfit with black tie- it's to keep the weather off your head or just to be wearing a hat. I use my medium gray Mayser for black tie. A Homburg would probably look better.
Unless you're the Worshipful Master in a U.S. Masonic Lodge, in which case you have to wear a top hat as part of your Regalia, regardless of whatever else you're wearing (and unless that whatever else you're wearing is white tie, it looks idiotic.) A top hat is part of the outfit for white tie, although hardly anyone wears them that way anymore.

Not opinion; convention. But it's hardly ever followed, sadly.
Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mav said:
Unless you're the Worshipful Master in a U.S. Masonic Lodge, in which case you have to wear a top hat as part of your Regalia, regardless of whatever else you're wearing (and unless that whatever else you're wearing is white tie, it looks idiotic.) A top hat is part of the outfit for white tie, although hardly anyone wears them that way anymore.

Quite true. Top hats are white tie only (including morning dress, which is itself a dinosaur of sorts), and required in "uniform" for WM's of the Masons.

I think the cocktail suit is an excellent way of bringing "formal" to any occassion, but alas, it's still not as "formal" as evening wear - which in itself is not as formal as white tie.

There's an excellent conversation about this very topic in this thread, around page 22-24:
Do You Own a Tux?

danofarlington

Undertow said:
Quite true. Top hats are white tie only (including morning dress, which is itself a dinosaur of sorts), and required in "uniform" for WM's of the Masons.

I think the cocktail suit is an excellent way of bringing "formal" to any occassion, but alas, it's still not as "formal" as evening wear - which in itself is not as formal as white tie.

There's an excellent conversation about this very topic in this thread, around page 22-24:
Do You Own a Tux?
All these levels of formalwear of which I was unaware, and which I will never use! It is still interesting though. Parenthetically we should change the name of "formalwear" to "unaware."

memphislawyer

Practically Family
What color hat?

I bought a black Bailey wool hat (Yates model, black ribbon) for beating around in. I have a brown or fawn Akubra Stylemaster and my wife says its proportions are all wrong on me. A couple of you posted that the crown looked off in a thread I started. And brown is not a good color for me.

I have a Stetson Saxon in the lighter grey color that I love to wear for suits. Looks smart with a navy suit or grey, either way. Then I have the black Bailey.

I am thinking I need a hat to wear for all around but not suits, that is, if I have to be dressed up, Ill put on the Stetson, days I have court or like today, to wear to church. But I need a hat that is versatile, something I can wear with red sweaters, blue sweaters, courderoy pants or chinos (khaki and stone colors), and jeans.

Now maybe you say get the dark grey hat and move the Stetson Saxon to everyday wear.

A bit about me - I am not one to have many of everything, like bottles of colognes, badger shave brushes, razors, and with hats, the fewer the better. I have one Panama Bob hat and thinking of getting a Bailey crushable for summer. It may be that you say the black wool one is good for all around, but sometimes, I wonder if that is too severe. Or maybe I am overthinking it, something I am prone to do.

It seems that the brim on the Saxon is about as wide as I want to go. The Bailey Yates has a shorter brim in back and about a 2 1/8th bring on front if I read the specs right.

gear-guy

Practically Family
I would go with a darker gray, matches almost anything but a dark green would work except with the reds, I think. I just bought a dark green berg at an antique store and love it for everyday use.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
My wife says that browns wash me out, and I tend to gravitate to blues and greys more. I am also not one to collect things, and hats, well, I will have three or four. The Stetson I have is a formal hat to me, so I wear it with suits only. Medium grey I would call it, whatever color the Saxon comes in, caribou perhaps? I also have a black wool Bailey Yates model, black ribbon. That one will go with my black leather coat and stuff.

Now, my dilemna is either keep just those two, the Stetson for suits and then the black wool cap for sweaters and shirts. Or finding a third hat, for use with sportscoats, even suits, and also for the casual and business casual. For that, I am thinking perhaps a darker grey like gear-guy said above.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Silvermist vs. Silverbelly

I received a dark grey hat and held it next to a color called caribou. Dark grey has blue tones and caribou has taupe undertones. So I am having a silver belly hat made and saw swatches at falcon park and silver belly is grouped with browns and silver mist with the greys. Having a royal blue with light blue ribbon treatment kinda like Scooter did at Buckaroo. Is there a visual difference between the two or am I overt thinking again? Would they appear the same no matter what? This is a casual hat in my mind and not with suits (my Stetson Saxon in caribou is my dress hat)

1961MJS

Hi

PERSONALLY I'd go with the Silver MIST for dark blue. Silverbelly is an earth tone, while Silver MIST is a black / gray family. Most Silverbelly in MOST lights appears to be tan, but can look slightly pink in the right light. Again PERSONALLY, I don't like Silverbelly much. It's not tan enough to be tan, or gray enough to be gray.

Just my $0.02 and worth what you paid for it

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Winchester Silverbelly (SB) vs. Winchester Silvermist (SM)

Winchester Silverbelly is a light grey with a shift toward the warm side; Winchester Silvermist is an even lighter grey, with a slight shift toward the cool side.

SB atop SM:

P1060118.jpg

SB left, SM right:

P1060113.jpg

Clockwise from 10 o'clock - SM, SB, Dove, Blue Smoke:

P1050656.jpg

Clockwise from 10 o'clock - SB, Dove, Blue Smoke, SM:

P1050654.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member