Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Smoked the last of the Ramon Allones German Eddition 2010.
RamonAllonesGermany2010.jpg
[/IMG]
Too bad. These were really nice cigars.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I've smoked many a Padilla and almost every one of them burned poorly.

Tonight will be another of the AB seconds which have turned out to be quite good. Only one of them have been a tad too tight but it was still smokable.

I have another shipment coming in tomorrow along with a sampler of Pinar del Rio torpedos. I had a sampler that had 2 of the PdR blends in robusto size and they were very good so when I saw the sampler of all 4 blends (x3) in the larger size I grabbed one.

Smoked the last of the Ramon Allones German Eddition 2010.
RamonAllonesGermany2010.jpg
[/IMG]
Too bad. These were really nice cigars.

Were they that different from the regular Ramon Allones torpedoes? I suppose they should be from the extra cost of most of the regional and special editions. :p
I had a Trinidad robusto last night over at a friend's place. Paired with an Ancnoc single malt it was just fine. :D

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Were they that different from the regular Ramon Allones torpedoes? I suppose they should be from the extra cost of most of the regional and special editions. :p
I had a Trinidad robusto last night over at a friend's place. Paired with an Ancnoc single malt it was just fine. :D
these were blended using 1950s recepies. They were medium strength but nicely balanced. I found them a nicer cigar than regular Ramon Allones.
20 years ago Trinidads were highly sought cigars before they were commercially sold. I tried couple of the old ones similar to Cohiba Lancero but I think they tasted different from the ones sold today.

these were blended using 1950s recepies. They were medium strength but nicely balanced. I found them a nicer cigar than regular Ramon Allones.
20 years ago Trinidads were highly sought cigars before they were commercially sold. I tried couple of the old ones similar to Cohiba Lancero but I think they tasted different from the ones sold today.

Ah, then maybe they were worth the premium.
Yeah, Fidel had that brand all wrapped up for himself and his cronies. It was his favorite brand until he had to quit smoking them. :p I would imagine that the ones sold today are a bit different that is for sure. You certainly would be more careful if the person you were producing them for was capable of offing you if he didn't like the product. :p

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Ah, then maybe they were worth the premium.
Yeah, Fidel had that brand all wrapped up for himself and his cronies. It was his favorite brand until he had to quit smoking them. :p I would imagine that the ones sold today are a bit different that is for sure. You certainly would be more careful if the person you were producing them for was capable of offing you if he didn't like the product. :p
I never thought of this, I thought that perhaps they had luxury of aging it much longer than current production.

Famosos are a very solid cigar, one of the better robustos out there.

Robaina is one of few brands there that are given quite a bit of free reign. Alejandro's grandson is doing a fine job growing tobacco so far and the finished product is showing the fruition of his diligently watching his grandfather all those years.
Cheers Alejandro! You did well when you were with us.

anon`

One Too Many
Went for a walk down to the law school today, and brought with me a '30s-era, full-bent and sandblasted billiard, marked Bewlay and likely carved under contract by Barling. To smoke, Peterson University Flake. Had trouble keeping the thing lit, sadly, and the tobacco was quite a bit harsher than I recall. I'm not sure if that's due to age, or operator error, but whatever. It was a nice day and a nice way to enjoy a smoke.

Perhaps I'll brew something up and have another, later this evening...

Went for a walk down to the law school today, and brought with me a '30s-era, full-bent and sandblasted billiard, marked Bewlay and likely carved under contract by Barling. To smoke, Peterson University Flake. Had trouble keeping the thing lit, sadly, and the tobacco was quite a bit harsher than I recall. I'm not sure if that's due to age, or operator error, but whatever. It was a nice day and a nice way to enjoy a smoke.

Perhaps I'll brew something up and have another, later this evening...

Was the tobacco overly moist? Did you pack it down loosely----or too tight? Those are usuqally the problems I run into if my pipes won't stay lit. I even mange to get cigar tobacco, that I snip off the end of cigars, to perform just fine in my pipes. You have to pack that more carefully though. :p
I think I'll go out and have a Lusitania tonight after we get back from school orientation this evening. :D

anon`

One Too Many
Was the tobacco overly moist? Did you pack it down loosely----or too tight? Those are usuqally the problems I run into if my pipes won't stay lit. I even mange to get cigar tobacco, that I snip off the end of cigars, to perform just fine in my pipes. You have to pack that more carefully though. :p
I think I'll go out and have a Lusitania tonight after we get back from school orientation this evening. :D
Rather the opposite, actually: somewhat on the dry side. I don't have my pipe tobacco well-stored, if only for want of a container for it. My personal suspicion is, in fact, operator error. Now, if I could just figure out which side of too tight or too loose I was on (probably the former, but I have no idea how to check that).

Rather the opposite, actually: somewhat on the dry side. I don't have my pipe tobacco well-stored, if only for want of a container for it. My personal suspicion is, in fact, operator error. Now, if I could just figure out which side of too tight or too loose I was on (probably the former, but I have no idea how to check that).

Both will cause it to go out quickly. I am betting on too loose. You can press down fairly firmly to get everything in contact with each other. Be sure to check the draw before you light it so you can tell if it is too loose or too tight.
I like this guy's method:
[video=youtube_share;PhyAsN9BZsQ]http://youtu.be/PhyAsN9BZsQ[/video]

anon`

One Too Many
That's pretty much what I do, actually. Never heard it explained quite like that... I would really rather expect most babies to try eating, rather than packing, the stuff!

Ah well, it happens. Probably should just break up the flakes beforehand, come to think of it.

That's pretty much what I do, actually. Never heard it explained quite like that... I would really rather expect most babies to try eating, rather than packing, the stuff!

Ah well, it happens. Probably should just break up the flakes beforehand, come to think of it.

"Leave my tobacco alone baby!"

Yes, fluffy them up helps make it so the clumps don't burn unevenly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe