Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on US WINGS Jackets?

Glenville86

Familiar Face
I have 5 US Wings jackets and like them. They are good for the money. Think I bought all but one on sale. I have better quality and custom leather jackets but the US Wings can be worn hard without any worries.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I wouldn't worry too much about your high end jacket being recognizably better than the lower tier ones.

I have actually had many compliments on my Eastman's or even my Gibson and Barnes. Even if an average person cannot appreciate stitch spacing or veg tanning, I still think that most people can tell a "good" jacket from a "less good" one.

For the military styles, I think people often think it's an antique. For non-mil, I think people just appreciate how well the jacket fits, or how interesting the color or the texture of the leather is, etc...but I definitely notice people noticing.

But maybe my fly was undone.... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicho

New in Town
I visited the US Wings Retail Store while home for Christmas. What a great selection of unique leather A2's. I bought a American Bison A-2 and love it. I was torn between the Bison and Horsehide which is also great. The quality is fantastic and the fit is spot on and it is made in the USA. I will back in the Spring to check out their new Kangaroo.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It is always fun to visit a retail store and try on stuff, whether it is G&B, Filson, Orvis, or Aero (I wish).

Nothing new. I visited US Wings (not too far from my location) probably over ten years ago and they carried Kangaroo Indy jackets at that time as well. I toured the store and Sgt Hack mentioned that they had just gotten them in. They were from a well known maker(not labeled US Wings)..but I can't remember who it was.
HD

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Nothing new. I visited US Wings (not too far from my location) probably over ten years ago and they carried Kangaroo Indy jackets at that time as well. I toured the store and Sgt Hack mentioned that they had just gotten them in. They were from a well known maker(not labeled US Wings)..but I can't remember who it was.
HD

Yep and those roo jackets had a surface spray paint that came off almost in sheets with very non-Indy colour undercoat - grey I think. I think they were Cooper which was owned by Wings.

US Wings are probably getting that kanga hide we can't get here. Used to be able to get kanga jackets but the hides are all sent off shore and are very hard to get here these days.

Last edited:

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Their goats jacket are tought and hardly wear. A friend of mine had one for years.

nicho

New in Town
I visited the US Wings Retail Store while home for Christmas. What a great selection of unique leather A2's. I bought a American Bison A-2 and love it. I was torn between the Bison and Horsehide which is also great. The quality is fantastic and the fit is spot on and it is made in the USA. I will back in the Spring to check out their new Kangaroo.

I was referring to a A-2 Flight jacket that was new. I was told that the Kangaroo leather did indeed come from Australia and was supplied by Packer Leather. The jacket is very light weight but very strong and will perfect to wear on my HD.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My Indy goatskin jacket came from there, probably eight years ago or so. Wears like iron, good fit. My only beef is the lining-- nylon stuff that doesn't shrink as the leather does. So the sleeve cuffs and the bottom edge have extra lining sagging out all the time. feel like my nylons are drooping 'round my ankles.

I think I paid $70 for it. A lot of them changed hands when they had an overrun of Chinese-made jackets-- because Lounge members got wind of it. We helped sell him out fast.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I was referring to a A-2 Flight jacket that was new. I was told that the Kangaroo leather did indeed come from Australia and was supplied by Packer Leather. The jacket is very light weight but very strong and will perfect to wear on my HD.

My first leather jacket was their kangaroo Indy version from about 15 years ago. I love the leather and it's held up well. Although to be honest it doesn't get much wear these days (due more to the number of jackets that I have). When it comes time to sell a few to make room in the closet, I can never bring myself to sell it though.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
I needed a "Dressy" Leather Jacket due to my position. I needed black, I couldn't wear any shade of brown (although the dark seal from some comes close). I needed it fast so I purchased a black goatskin entry level modern A2 from them. Service was great, jacket arrived just in time. Nice, well made and sure it will last for decades. A few weeks later I wanted a reproduction for more regular wear and got my Aero horsehide in seal. There is no comparison other than they are both called A2s! If I wasn't the perfectionist that I am, the USWings would have suited me fine. Some less informed think it's more authentic than my Contract Aero (even black? Really?).

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I needed a "Dressy" Leather Jacket due to my position. I needed black, I couldn't wear any shade of brown (although the dark seal from some comes close). I needed it fast so I purchased a black goatskin entry level modern A2 from them. Service was great, jacket arrived just in time. Nice, well made and sure it will last for decades. A few weeks later I wanted a reproduction for more regular wear and got my Aero horsehide in seal. There is no comparison other than they are both called A2s! If I wasn't the perfectionist that I am, the USWings would have suited me fine. Some less informed think it's more authentic than my Contract Aero (even black? Really?).
LOL! So the Aero was noticeably better in quality? That is one of the things I was curious about in my original post.

nicho

New in Town
I just went on their website to look further at the Kangaroo A2. I noticed they have a section about repairing Leather jackets including lining replacement. Check it out.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
tnjyoung - Haven't you got by now that ALL the mid-level (G&B, US Authentic, Aerial Star, Bill Kelso, etc.) and premium (Aero, Eastman, Good Wear, McCoys, Lost Worlds, etc.) makers are better than US Wings?!? Cockpit, Schott, Legendary and some other labels are roughly equivalent... though some of their prices may lead you to believe otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with US Wings jackets FOR WHAT THEY ARE, especially when they're on sale. But there are much better quality military leather jackets out there if you are willing to pay a bit more.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
tnjyoung - Haven't you got by now that ALL the mid-level (G&B, US Authentic, Aerial Star, Bill Kelso, etc.) and premium (Aero, Eastman, Good Wear, McCoys, Lost Worlds, etc.) makers are better than US Wings?!? Cockpit, Schott, Legendary and some other labels are roughly equivalent... though some of their prices may lead you to believe otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with US Wings jackets FOR WHAT THEY ARE, especially when they're on sale. But there are much better quality military leather jackets out there if you are willing to pay a bit more.

Dr. Strange, yes, I get it. Part of my comment was "LOL", the second part asking about the notice of a difference was meant to be a "tongue in cheek" comment. It was like asking "Can you tell the difference between that new Porsche and that old Toyota Corolla you were driving?" More than anything I guess, there is a lingering excitement over the Aero jacket that I have on order. Really just making conversation. Hope I didn't anger you, or anyone else, with my comment(s). Maybe I'll tone down comments like that so that I am not seen as wasting other's time or pandering for compliments. All is good my friend.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
LOL! So the Aero was noticeably better in quality? That is one of the things I was curious about in my original post.

Yes very noticeable. My wings jacket has some very thin leather in areas (elbow/arms) and some thick (shoulder area). But it looks nice! Also not big on the nylon/ acetate liner. I should have had it changed to cotton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe