Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Thoughts On This?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Honey Bee said:
Ok...so now, if it was in your closet, a gift from your favorite relative...what would you do?
I'd take off the bottom ruffles and then[/a] it would be doable :)

Sell it and buy something that I like better. But I agree it would look a lot better without the bottom ruffle.

Smuterella Grey garden picture is now stuck in my head with that dress in it and raccoons climbing up the walls.

D

Deleted member 12480

crwritt said:
Somehow, it just doesn't look 40's, not that it wasn't designed by Omar Kiam...
I just spent a little too much time looking him up.
He designed a lot of clothing for movies, historical films included, I can imagine that he designed this as well, and the style just didn't become popular. But if someone is organizing a book, why choose something this obscure and unrepresentative of a designer's style?
It is pretty, maybe its just poorly illustrated?

oh, i think there are more of his designs in the book. Perhaps the person who made the book just really liked this particular design. or maybe he wanted to show some of the more obscure designs as a lot of the designs in the book are sort of...odd!

xxxx

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Amy Jeanne said:
I like that dress! I would wear it. It's reminiscent of the 1860s.
I'm with you, Amy! I'd wear it, too :)
But I kinda like vintage fashion that's outside the norm. I think I like it because it's such a novelty. I have some Vogues from 1939/1940 and some of the looks you'd swear were 70s. But, heck, I loved wearing 70s clothes in high school, that could have something to do with it. lol

Amie

One of the Regulars
Looks a bit like this dress by Topshop

10Y66XMUL_thumb.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
deleteduser said:

OMG! :eek: wake me up from the nightmare!

My goodness.... what's that? half hippie, half oriental dancer with that jewelry hanging on the forehead, half peasant girl...

That's unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!! It takes the cake!!!!

(my personal opinion of course ... and apologies to all ) :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
My goodness.... what's that? half hippie, half oriental dancer with that jewelry hanging on the forehead, half peasant girl...

The jewelry doesn't actually scream "peasant" to me but "Orientalism". It's basically a diadem, worn throughout time in various Middle Eastern cultures. If you look at old photos of Mata Hari, you'll often see similar jewelry items. They're also popular among belly dancers.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
The jewelry doesn't actually scream "peasant" to me but "Orientalism". It's basically a diadem, worn throughout time in various Middle Eastern cultures. If you look at old photos of Mata Hari, you'll often see similar jewelry items. They're also popular among belly dancers.

Oh i understand what you are saying. :)

It's just that the mix of all those styles together :rolleyes: well.... it's like a dog's breakfast to me!

and BTW i never saw Mata-Hari wearing a little peasant scarf along with her diadem ... nevah! :p;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
KittyT said:

That's exactly why I thought. The whole thing comes across to me as sort of an eye-winking parody of pseudo-middle-eastern "exotic" styles, rather than anything intended to be taken seriously, especially since the designer called himself "Omar Kiam." "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, a ruffled flounce, and thou!"

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Oh i understand what you are saying. :)

It's just that the mix of all those styles together :rolleyes: well.... it's like a dog's breakfast to me!

and BTW i never saw Mata-Hari wearing a little peasant scarf along with her diadem ... nevah! :p;)

OH! I misread your post. Yes, the jewelry = oriental dancer. The scarf = peasant girl. Got it. That's what happens when I try to read late at night. Comprehension fail lol

Foofoogal

Banned
I like Maxi dresses as another thread here exists.

I find it so interesting how clothing sort of repeats itself thru history.
I have a photo of a cousin from the 1940s and she is wearing the most 1970s halter top or should I say in the 1970s they stole the 1940s idea.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
That's exactly why I thought. The whole thing comes across to me as sort of an eye-winking parody of pseudo-middle-eastern "exotic" styles, rather than anything intended to be taken seriously, especially since the designer called himself "Omar Kiam." "A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, a ruffled flounce, and thou!"

Just what I thought when I saw the designer's name!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld