Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Thoughts On This?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12480

P1013639.jpg

I found her in a '1940's Fashions' Paper doll book. The outfit is American and presumably designer, but even then, how did they get away with this amount of fabric. And isn't it beautiful!

xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

it does, but it has more of a 'bodice' don't you think? It's so weird, i've never seen anything like it.

xx

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It could be the way it's drawn. I've seen similar ensembles in high fashion photo shoots from Vogue in the late 30s and 40s. Does it give a date or designer in the book?

D

Deleted member 12480

You can just see the date - 1944 and the designer is Omar Kiam.

Just thought I should probably add that the picture is from a book called

'Great Fashion Designs of The Forties - Paper Dolls in Full Colour' by Tom Tierny

(as it's not my picture to distribute..!)

xxx

maisie

Practically Family
Ive got that book, although I haven't looked at it recently I remeber it had quite a lot of rather 'out-there' outfits, I remember the wedding dress being rather weird too :S.... But I suppose that is designer 'couture' items for you!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
That is so funny that you put that up because I was just thinking that same thing about it yesterday as I came across that book on my bookshelf and pulled it out as I hadn't looked at it for a while. Personally it looks too Hippy Maxi dress for me even though it predates it. I wouldn't wear it myself too much pattern.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
maisie said:
Ive got that book, although I haven't looked at it recently I remeber it had quite a lot of rather 'out-there' outfits, I remember the wedding dress being rather weird too :S.... But I suppose that is designer 'couture' items for you!
the wedding dress has a veil that is more like a head shawl if I remember correctly.
The Hattie Carnegie Dinner Pajamas are awesome but Dinner Pajama's? Is that for personal use only? Could you wear them in public?

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Land-O-LakesGal said:
the wedding dress has a veil that is more like a head shawl if I remember correctly.
The Hattie Carnegie Dinner Pajamas are awesome but Dinner Pajama's? Is that for personal use only? Could you wear them in public?

I'll have to check, but I am sure the Bolter scandalises the family by coming to dinner in fancy pyjamas instead of changing into a dinner dress in The Pursuit of Love. And if she didn't, she would have.

D

Deleted member 12480

mm yes that mass of pattern is a little overwhelming but i think a very delicate pattern on white cotton would be quite nice. At least thats how i picture it.. Haha! As for the pajamas being 'outrageous', isn't that usually what coture is about? Xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

mm yes that mass of pattern is a little overwhelming but i think a very delicate pattern on white cotton would be quite nice. At least thats how i picture it.. Haha! As for the pajamas being 'outrageous', isn't that usually what coture is about? Xxx

D

Deleted member 12480

yeah its odd.. its before that iconic 'new look' picture with the big skirt and hat....

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Ok...so now, if it was in your closet, a gift from your favorite relative...what would you do?
I'd take off the bottom ruffles and then it would be doable :)

40'sfetish

Familiar Face
It reminds me very much of a dress I had as a child in the 70's, very similar fabric pattern, child's version with an empire line. My mum made it for me and it had orange smiley face buttons....I loved that dress and wore it til it was so tight I could barely move.

Memory lane, mum made a lot of our clothes, another fave outfit of mine as a kid was a suit she made me, straight skirt, box jacket, from an old ball gown of hers, imperial purple boucle wool, it was awesome.

crwritt

One Too Many
Somehow, it just doesn't look 40's, not that it wasn't designed by Omar Kiam...
I just spent a little too much time looking him up.
He designed a lot of clothing for movies, historical films included, I can imagine that he designed this as well, and the style just didn't become popular. But if someone is organizing a book, why choose something this obscure and unrepresentative of a designer's style?
It is pretty, maybe its just poorly illustrated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld