Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Exercise Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgoat

One Too Many
Of course this all counts - just as working the dreaded desk job all day does relatively little:(

Check this site out - takes only a moment to register and enter your basic vital stats; lets you plug in your calorie intake and expenditure to give you a decent idea of where you are at.

pgoat

One Too Many
ugh.....

don't you hate finding those REALLY skinny pics of long ago?:(

Here's me at 130 pounds (on the right) dancing with a co worker and two beautiful ladies at a friend's wedding. Those two kept us dancing the night away! The lady with the cane cut the rug bt good. The other woman told me I looked like William Holden - who I was embarrassed to admit I did not know at that time. (Knowing him now I think she was being far too kind!:eek: )

MCwedding.jpg

I am determined to drop some weight this year....dunno if I'll ever get near 130 again:eek: But I'd settle for 160-170!lol

Here's me and the wifey in NC a few weeks ago. I will say this picture makes me look fatter than I actually am (I HOPE!) - good news is I must be standing on a tree root cause no way am I that much taller than her.

EnoRiver2008.jpg

I hope to post an "after" pic here at some point, just like on the cheesy fitness infomercials we all love so well....stay tuned.

till then, as Cary Grant once said "Think Thin"

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I tried free weights today, but only for the arms - it is tough! I do hope that it gives a better definition, since I feel it is more targeted than the machines. The guys in the gym seems to think that setting 'eye of the tiger' on loop help them bulk up..[huh]

actually the Rocky soundtrack helps...lol...i guess one has to be a Rocky fan and let the music motivate...
anyway, here's me...

everyday(w/maybe 1 rest day a week):
-get up at 5am
-stretch until 5:15 or 5:30
-run for a half hour or so...(still working up to it)...
-free weights in the middle of the day: abs, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, forearms and back(in that order), alternating everyother day...ie. dumbell curls one day and then barbell curls the next, then back to dumbells, and so on...
-eating less than 1500 calories a day...i know they say metabolism suffers at anything below 18 or 1900 but i haven't had a problem...
...gotta shed those pounds...

when it gets too cold(in about 3 or 4 months) my cardio will be in the garage dancing with the heavy bag for a half hour or so...with the Rocky soundtrack...;)

ps-i suggest, for those who use an ipod, to use only one ear bud...i used to and was able to keep an ear out for foreign noises...of course i'm out here in "bumblefriggin, egypt" now so getting jacked is kind of low...criminals aren't up at 5am anyway lol...

pgoat

One Too Many
The missus and I started jogging again this weekend - tough in our current humidity but we survived that awful initial phase....ironically I was just thinking today how I never run with music.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
pgoat said:
The missus and I started jogging again this weekend - tough in our current humidity but we survived that awful initial phase....ironically I was just thinking today how I never run with music.

i haven't for awhile...i noticed my mind does kind of wander when i don't have music but i'm able to keep it in the zone...i guess Rocky helps me really stay in the zone lol but that's not good when running on the streets...imo...
some jerk did drive by and yell at me the other day, something to the effect of "*grumble grumble* get yourself killed" or something...i caught the words but it didn't phase me...

pgoat

One Too Many
SamMarlowPI said:
i haven't for awhile...i noticed my mind does kind of wander when i don't have music but i'm able to keep it in the zone...i guess Rocky helps me really stay in the zone lol but that's not good when running on the streets...imo...
some jerk did drive by and yell at me the other day, something to the effect of "*grumble grumble* get yourself killed" or something...i caught the words but it didn't phase me...
Just make sure you can still hear traffic...getting yourself killed is NOT healthy!:eek:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
pgoat said:
don't you hate finding those REALLY skinny pics of long ago

YES.

Over the weekend, I found lots of photos of my thinner self of yesteryear and about cried. I know your metabolism changes as you get older, but this is ridiculous!lol

I've got to get back on my exercise program - lots of walking interspersed with weight lifting and the dreaded crunches.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
pgoat said:
Just make sure you can still hear traffic...getting yourself killed is NOT healthy!:eek:

oh trust me, the traffic is the thing i am most aware of but luckly i see about dozen cars or so in this small town that early in the morning...i'm kind of paranoid in my surroundings...not just running but all the time...i like to be ready in case i'm right about something not seeming right...that make sense? lol

anyway, my second focus is my pacing and whatnot...

pgoat

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
YES.

Over the weekend, I found lots of photos of my thinner self of yesteryear and about cried. I know your metabolism changes as you get older, but this is ridiculous!lol

I've got to get back on my exercise program - lots of walking interspersed with weight lifting and the dreaded crunches.
It's really good to keep a log or diary of your workouts. Takes only a few seconds, but really helps when looking back, tracking cause of injuries, etc.

My wife and I pulled out our separate logs yesterday and reflected back to when she first started running with me about 10-11 yrs ago. (My running hey day was about 8 yrs and 60 pounds earlier!) I weighed about 15 pounds less then compared to today - but I was amazed to read how active I was! In addition to an active job (teaching Special Ed - kept me hopping all day!) and my main workout (running) I'd usually ride my bike to work, lift weights , play softball - sometimes two of those in a single day.

Today I am not only in my 40s, I also sit at a computer all day...ugh

Cable TV and the golldurned internet distractions ain't helping any!! (present company excepted, naturally!;) )

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
pgoat said:
I also sit at a computer all day...ugh

Cable TV and the golldurned internet distractions ain't helping any!! (present company excepted, naturally!;) )

I'm in the same boat and have even thought of getting a different job just so I could move around more! Fortunately, I work downtown and I try to get out and walk as much as possible during the day.

Of course, I could also take the stairs every day - we're on the 15th floor. Then I wouldn't need to work out at all! lol

pgoat

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
I'm in the same boat and have even thought of getting a different job just so I could move around more! Fortunately, I work downtown and I try to get out and walk as much as possible during the day.

Of course, I could also take the stairs every day - we're on the 15th floor. Then I wouldn't need to work out at all! lol
You're right - I either ride my bike to work or walk halfway to the train at night - otherwise there'd be small packs of men with harpoons chasing me down.

Don't underestimate those stairs. I know a man in his mid 60s who looks a solid 10-15 yrs younger, easy - he lives in a 4th floor walk-up with 15 foot ceilings. I was doing some freelance work for him 2 nights a week and I was dying! No wonder he looks so good - he does it several times per day....

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I havent been to the gym in nearly 1 1/2 months.. yet when I dared to step on the scale this morning, I hadn't gained anything and I measured my waist, and I had lost 1 cm! when you're the size of a hobbit like me, that is something!

Mojito

One Too Many
Darhling, congrats on maintaining! Do you do a lot of "incidental" exercise? I know a few folks who maintain well - they're not greedy, like me.

Pgoat, great to hear that you and your wife are hitting the pavement/trails again! I've been pretty good the last few weeks with my City to Surf preparation - running four times a week and doing a couple of "Body Attack" classes. The weights are suffering a bit, but the "Body AttacK" class incorporates a lot of dynamic lunges and squats and also has an upper body and core section, so at least I'm doing something (just not as much as I should).

pgoat

One Too Many
nice work ladies!! Keep it up!:eusa_clap

I just had my annual physical today....same fatso weight I've been the last several years * sigh * guess I better get my pie hole sewn shut!

My wife's cousin told her last week she wants to start running and plans to do a half marathon....it's been ages since I did anything like that but I offered to help her train for it and I am (gulp) taking the plunge myself. 13 miles is possible by next spring.

If I stop eating:eek:

pgoat

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
I quit smoking on monday and im doing pretty damn good. I think im going to take my cig money and spend it on fencing lessons
Go, Man!

Think of how much $ it'll add up to, especially these days!

It's hard at first - but keeps getting a LOT easier as the days, weeks and mos roll by. You can do it!

Ben

One of the Regulars
Vintage Fitness

You are all going to get the sand kicked in your faces!

You should send for the Charles Atlas course right away.

It actually is still available.

Also, Charles, fencing is a blast but it has side effects. One of which is a nasty cross-training habit where you start thinking about ways to train outside of class to do better on the strip.

CharlesB

Suspended
and how do you crosstrain haha
Ben said:
You are all going to get the sand kicked in your faces!

You should send for the Charles Atlas course right away.

It actually is still available.

Also, Charles, fencing is a blast but it has side effects. One of which is a nasty cross-training habit where you start thinking about ways to train outside of class to do better on the strip.

CharlesB

Suspended
In all seriousness though, I've been jogging/running A LOT lately, but for the past several months Ive been doing a ton of situps/pushups and general stuff to build up my chest abs n shoulders. It's really decent

Im at this now
0713080042.jpg

where as last summer I was this
hangover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe