Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

dschonn

Familiar Face
3219542362_3a129833d4_o.jpg

This is actually yesterday. I made the shirt and topcoat. The jacket is inherited from my dad, the vest is from Target and the trousers from the Gap. My aunts made me the scarf for Christmas. The hat is in surprisingly good condition considering its age (8 years) and composition (wool). I like it.

I had just come back from Heimie's Haberdashery in St. Paul, Minnesota. I tried on a few hats, but didn't purchase because I am, in a word, skint. I did receive a complimentary sample of moustache wax, helpfully applied by a man with quite an impressive specimen on his own upper lip, and judging by the improbable form it took, he'd not spared the wax for it. I'd never waxed my moustache before and I'm not sure I like it. Sticky. Aromatic. Waxy.

dschonn

Familiar Face
Dinerman said:
Excellent look. The coat and shirt look great! You say you made them? Wow.:eek:

Thanks! I admire your style a lot, so a compliment from you is high praise indeed.

There are a few things to do on the coat yet, even though I've been wearing it for two years (buttons and buttonholes on the cuffs). I was very happy it was warm enough to wear it. It felt like 35° F and sunny, though apparently it wasn't even above freezing. That, I find, is one perk of the frigid temperatures we've had this winter: the freezing point feels balmy.

Bugsy

One Too Many
dschonn said:
3219542362_3a129833d4_o.jpg

This is actually yesterday. I made the shirt and topcoat. The jacket is inherited from my dad, the vest is from Target and the trousers from the Gap. My aunts made me the scarf for Christmas. The hat is in surprisingly good condition considering its age (8 years) and composition (wool). I like it.

I had just come back from Heimie's Haberdashery in St. Paul, Minnesota. I tried on a few hats, but didn't purchase because I am, in a word, skint. I did receive a complimentary sample of moustache wax, helpfully applied by a man with quite an impressive specimen on his own upper lip, and judging by the improbable form it took, he'd not spared the wax for it. I'd never waxed my moustache before and I'm not sure I like it. Sticky. Aromatic. Waxy.

YOU MADE THE TOPCOAT??? Well done!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I can't believe the amount of talent there is in the Lounge. Anyone want to lend me some? I can barely thread a needle without sticking myself.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
I have a friend who can't stand using moustache wax, so he uses Elmer's glue. He claims that it gives all of the hold, but none of the stickiness. :)

I know people who have done that for mohawks, too.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Matt Deckard Apparel

Today, I'm wearing my bespoke, Matt Deckard Apparel suit. (pictures to follow soon) It's one that Matt has modeled here previously--the brown twill, three piece, with the belted-back jacket. I got measured for the suit about six weeks ago. The process was the most complete that I have ever experienced. Pictures were even taken so that the tailors could see the way I stood. When the suit arrived, it fit to perfection, the tailoring was impeccable, and the fabric is wonderfully retro. I understand that Matt might be coming out with a line of shirts. I've not doubt that these will be up to the very high standards of tailoring Matt has exhibited with my suit.

dschonn

Familiar Face
"Birthday 'suit'"

3220610618_0e610ed4bb.jpg

It's my birthday today, so I am wearing my newly acquired vintage wool military trousers (from 1951, according to the printing on one of the pockets inside), my first and so far only eBay purchase. I tried to iron them, but it didn't take. Not enough steam, I think. Also my dad's old camel hair coat, an old tie from my friend's grandfather, a shirt that was new when I got it but I call old now, and you can't see my vest, but it's from Target. I will put on some shoes before venturing out of doors, rest assured.

Bugsy

One Too Many
dschonn said:

It's my birthday today, so I am wearing my newly acquired vintage wool military trousers (from 1951, according to the printing on one of the pockets inside), my first and so far only eBay purchase. I tried to iron them, but it didn't take. Not enough steam, I think. Also my dad's old camel hair coat, an old tie from my friend's grandfather, a shirt that was new when I got it but I call old now, and you can't see my vest, but it's from Target. I will put on some shoes before venturing out of doors, rest assured.

Happy Birthday to you with many more to follow. You look wonderful in your "birthday suit". ;) ;)

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Moustaches

Hello
On the subject of moustaches I thought I would show mine.. now sadly not in existence.. it scares the children, so had to shave it off!!

However, I did enjoy my moustache..

RBH
CharcoalCheck2pce003.jpg

yesterday.jpg

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
This is actually from last week, but I wanted to post this outfit because I love it! I wore it to work at the library, and then later swing dancing.

Forgive the tightness of my curls-- I had just taken out my rollers, so they're a little too tight. They got much looser (and better looking) as the day went on.
50s2.jpg

The peasant blouse is made from vintage fabric-- Grandma said she bought it between '58 and '60 and it's been in the closet ever since. I used Sense & Sensibility's Regency Underpinnings Chemise pattern to make the peasant blouse-- I shortened it by about a foot, added fabric to the sleeves to make them poofy, and put an elastic band in the sleeve hem.
The skirt is made from my grandmother's instructions. It's made from broadcloth and the hem is hand-sewn, which took me about two hours :( All in all, the outfit took me about 3 hours to make, including the 2 I spent hemming the skirt.
50s3.jpg

The crinoline petticoat I'm wearing is about 25 years old-- a hand-me-down. The pearl necklace and earrings belonged to my grandfather's mother.
The shoes were only worn for the photo, and then later for dancing. I wore a different pair of black heels for work and for walking.
50s4.jpg

Sorry for the background clutter and silly faces-- I'm no good with the timer, and the only place I could find to rest the camera was in the office, which has since been cleaned and organized.
50s6.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dschonn said:

It's my birthday today, so I am wearing my newly acquired vintage wool military trousers...

A great look today AND yesterday - and more applause :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap on the pieces you made yourself.

And last but not least...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Such an adorable outfit! The fabric for the blouse is lovely and I've got that pattern but I haven't made it up yet. Your example makes me want to start a project. Also, those glasses look perfect on you. Brava!

maggiethespy said:
This is actually from last week, but I wanted to post this outfit because I love it! I wore it to work at the library, and then later swing dancing.
50s6.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The light sweater gently updates the vintage suit and I love those boots Paddy. You're the past master of looking smart while travelling.

Everyone else looks marvelous too but I'll stop making individual comments lest I spam this thread more than I already have done.

PADDY said:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ortega76 said:
I'm a little annoyed that the collar is curling a bit. I'll break out the starch next time.
Are you using collar stays? If not, then give them a try. If so, then maybe try some stiffer ones. And BTW, starch isn't very good for shirting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld