Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Well, here's a rare view of Widebrim in casual clothing, after going to Chinatown for lunch, and forgetting that the town was celebrating Chinese New Year (which=blocked-off streets, which=crazy traffic).

Like your jacket-from China?-recalls a long lost favorite similarly styled.

And, speaking of China: "sometimes you're the hound, and sometimes you're the hare.";) Happy New Year of the Hare.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
As it occurred to me that the photograph I last uploaded was rather shocking, here's a better photo of me in a group shot...

Familyfriends.jpg

During Chinese New Year celebrations at our house. That's me on the left with the glasses and the red tie. My mother on the right. The two lovely ladies down the bottom are my cousins and the guy on the left is my older cousin's boyfriend.

And as we're expecting more people over tonight for further celebrations, I'm wearing this...

redshirt.jpg

Again, something red because it's Chinese New Year :) And yes, I had a haircut today, if you're wondering why I look different :p

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
My fellow swing club members canceled a trip to a larger college's swing dance due to icy roads, so I ended up half-dressed up with nowhere to go. But when I heard a friend had just gone through a breakup, I decided to grab a coat and hat to go pay a visit. Nothing truly vintage (as far as I now,) but I think I win the prize for looking snazzy at my college on a Saturday night.

whatIWear02-05-11_img1.JPG

This was my second-choice outfit for the dance. (It was raining, and I felt protective of my new set of pinstripes...) A Dockers fedora from Kohls (cost less than $7!) with a Polish-made Bill Blass jacket. It was a thrift store find that's very comfortable, so it's my most-used jacket, even when it gets wet or slightly dirty.

One question for the more fashion-informed members: is it a bad thing to put a patterned hat with a similar jacket? The dance theme was showing off patterns, so normally, I wouldn't combine the two. But seeing the picture, it doesn't look so bad. Any thoughts?

whatIWear02-05-11_img2.JPG

Then to get past the freezing rain, I grabbed my not-so-dressy hiking boots and strapped on ice spikes. Pants are another remarkably good-fitting thrift find, although they need ironing to remove evidence of my un-hemming them. My favorite perk of writing the community column for the campus newspaper means I know right where all the thrift stores are!

I see a lot of very nice outfits around here. Since they're mostly beyond my luck and pocketbook to acquire such nice threads, I can at least enjoy them on the Lounge! Many thanks to everyone who posts here.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Swingy. I love streetcars! *ding-ding*

I personally would never combine a patterned hat with a similarly patterned coat (or vice-versa). For the pure fact that...I dunno. I just don't think it looks good. With the possible exception of Tweed, which I would never wear.

Wearing a matching coloured hat with a particular suit (blue hat, blue suit, black hat, black suit, etc) seems to be acceptable, though.

Torpedo

One Too Many
S_M_C, well done. The whole works fine! I dig that tie.
Gene, good to see you around. I second WBrim, I think the first one is better - but I like the second's hat best!
WBrim, we all go casual sometimes... but the spirit can be kept!

Sharp lid you got there. I believe I have the same one.

My fellow swing club members canceled a trip to a larger college's swing dance due to icy roads, so I ended up half-dressed up with nowhere to go. But when I heard a friend had just gone through a breakup, I decided to grab a coat and hat to go pay a visit. Nothing truly vintage (as far as I now,) but I think I win the prize for looking snazzy at my college on a Saturday night.

whatIWear02-05-11_img1.JPG

This was my second-choice outfit for the dance. (It was raining, and I felt protective of my new set of pinstripes...) A Dockers fedora from Kohls (cost less than $7!) with a Polish-made Bill Blass jacket. It was a thrift store find that's very comfortable, so it's my most-used jacket, even when it gets wet or slightly dirty.

One question for the more fashion-informed members: is it a bad thing to put a patterned hat with a similar jacket? The dance theme was showing off patterns, so normally, I wouldn't combine the two. But seeing the picture, it doesn't look so bad. Any thoughts?

whatIWear02-05-11_img2.JPG

Then to get past the freezing rain, I grabbed my not-so-dressy hiking boots and strapped on ice spikes. Pants are another remarkably good-fitting thrift find, although they need ironing to remove evidence of my un-hemming them. My favorite perk of writing the community column for the campus newspaper means I know right where all the thrift stores are!

I see a lot of very nice outfits around here. Since they're mostly beyond my luck and pocketbook to acquire such nice threads, I can at least enjoy them on the Lounge! Many thanks to everyone who posts here.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Very smart Woland, I love that suit.
I finally managed to get a pic for this thread. Please excuse the quality....and my eyes:rolleyes: I must have closed them at the wrong moment. Woolrich mackinaw, Big Smith bib overalls, Sears workshirt and Majestime pocketwatch topped off with BWear newsboy.
IMAG0039.jpg

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I personally would never combine a patterned hat with a similarly patterned coat (or vice-versa). For the pure fact that...I dunno. I just don't think it looks good. With the possible exception of Tweed, which I would never wear.

Wearing a matching coloured hat with a particular suit (blue hat, blue suit, black hat, black suit, etc) seems to be acceptable, though.

Thanks Shangas. That was the advice I remember reading and hearing. Making an exception for a patterns-themed dance was fun, but I agree with you; not the best to combine the patterns! And Tom, it is a nice hat for its price. Good for you if you have one too!

This was the outfit I had planned for last night, so I reused it as my "Sunday best." Also, gray is a useful color to remain neutral in today's sea of football fans...

whatIWear02-06-11_img1.JPG

The jacket and pants were a fantastic thrift find; both pieces and the striped tie from yesterday, all for... TWO dollars! It seems just slightly big on me, but not too much that I can't swing dance in it. Plus, I'm really digging the subtle pinstripes.

For more on the hat, see here.

Bingles

A-List Customer
whatIWear02-06-11_img1.JPG

The jacket and pants were a fantastic thrift find; both pieces and the striped tie from yesterday, all for... TWO dollars! It seems just slightly big on me, but not too much that I can't swing dance in it. Plus, I'm really digging the subtle pinstripes.

For more on the hat, see here.[/QUOTE]

Nice work! Glad to see more college guys taking the time to dress nicely!! :eusa_clap

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Nice work! Glad to see more college guys taking the time to dress nicely!! :eusa_clap

Thanks very much, Bingles. It helps to know where those thrift stores are, and to have reasons/a schedule of when to dress nicely. I've got three days out of each week that a class or commitment "requires" a suit (ahem, gives me a good enough reason to wear one!)

Gee, now I miss the fall trolley operating season... waking up on weekends and hopping into uniform, all bright and refreshed, while my neighbors wake up with hangovers? Hmm, wonder why I prefer the motorman's life! ;-)

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Oh wow, amazing combination S_M_Cumberworth. You've been studying your color theory haha. The composition and light makes it easy to imagine in BW, film noir style too.

Woland

One of the Regulars
A very nice look, Woland! You look very warm, comfortable and grandfatherly there.

**Imagines a little infant grandson sitting in Woland's lap, tugging playfully on papa's watch-chain**

Thank you Shangas.
The grandson/daughter thing is indeed an object of want!
But; alas, my 4 daughters have yet to breed...

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Oh wow, amazing combination S_M_Cumberworth. You've been studying your color theory haha. The composition and light makes it easy to imagine in BW, film noir style too.

You have no idea how I agonize over color harmonization when I'm getting dressed. And then when I feel I do get it right, it seems to be happenstance more than anything else. I hope to become a natural one of these days.

Marla

A-List Customer
You have no idea how I agonize over color harmonization when I'm getting dressed. And then when I feel I do get it right, it seems to be happenstance more than anything else. I hope to become a natural one of these days.

From what I can see, you're already a consummate pro. Surely, no improvement is needed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe