Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Warbaby

One Too Many
crazydaisy said:
Ok so I wasn't satisfied with the gypsy look from the other day, so I gave it another go, this time I did the make up myself.

4872082762_20fea05318_z.jpg

I think your efforts were much more successful. I really like what you did with your makeup. But there's a missing element - bracelets. Lots of bracelets, preferably gold. No self-respecting Gypsy lass would be caught dead without her bracelets. And there's no such thing as too many...

crazydaisy

Practically Family
thanks everybody :) !!!

Warbaby, you are of course right about the bracelets (or in general a lot of gold jewelery - the gypsies in my country seem to have a thing for the rings).
I wore what I had and went with the outfit - a bracelet made out of silver coins from the 1910s and 1920s that my father in law presented my mother in law with, but she didn't like it so it ended up being mine :).
As for the outfit itself, it is as "authentic" as faking goes: the skirt is vintage, part of a Romanian folk ensemble, and everything else is modern, and there's no gypsy relation whatsoever. Having said that I am rather pleased of how it turned out (jewelery aside), as most of the time I am missing key items and fail to create full looks. So when I can whip up something like this, it's rather good for the possibilities of my wardrobe.

Smithy, Shame we didn't get to that attitude until the end of photo taking, and most of it failed as I couldn't stop grinning, and my husband was by this time too sick of it to try and pull me together any more. Also, gypsy pride and aggressive attitude are far from my own nature and so even more difficult to capture. But is a lesson learned for next time - while producing a picture that looks pretty is hard enough, I'd like it much better if I could turn out something that looks real.
I quite like this one, which is not pretty anymore, but closer to what I want to achieve, although it still doesn't quite get there. Never mind, there will be a next time...
4872082722_cee3e7eb52.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Going out to dim sum with my family (okay, they might think I am too dressed up, in which case I will ditch the jacket)
Photo14-1.jpg

Photo20-1.jpg

Gray herringbone suit from Salvation Army (Jos. A Bank)
Akubra Squatter, willow green.
scarf bought used in Italy.
Pocket square
(not pictured) Rockports.

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
@ crazydaisy: Very nice... I do hear the gipsy music ;)

Speaking of music - I took a quick look at your website and noticed your excellent taste ... Satie, Louis Armstrong, Ella, etc...

Cheers,
Tom

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Odalisque said:
If I may ask, what type of camera are you using?
It's just brilliant, really!

Thanks! I'm using a very cheap and old Samsung camera. It's really bad, especially in the shadows and midtones, so that I have to do a lot of postprocessing in Photoshop to get the best out of it. At the moment I'm experimenting with methods to emulate the vintage Kodachrome look, but that's really some kind of rocket science.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld