Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here

louis_custom_hatters_04_30_11.jpg

Very sharp!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Aside from always being spectacularly well turned out, Miss Tuppence seems to have a penchant for staircases.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Hehe, it does look that way doesn’t it!:eek: I don’t mean to- or do I? It may be a subconscious thingy, all stemming from childhood games!!! (btw I use to play on the stairs as a nipper!;))

Oh and ‘thank you’ all for your lovely comments about my last post…

Bad quality photo (when is it otherwise!:D)
All original. Late 30’s/early forties.
GEDC2969.JPG
Miss T x

rue

^ Mario it's the truth.... you always look fantastic. I don't say something every time or you'll get a big head ;)

Hehe, it does look that way doesn’t it!:eek: I don’t mean to- or do I? It may be a subconscious thingy, all stemming from childhood games!!! (btw I use to play on the stairs as a nipper!;))

GEDC2969.JPG
Miss T x

My very favorite so far Miss T :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
^ Mario it's the truth.... you always look fantastic. I don't say something every time or you'll get a big head ;)

Thank you... :eek:

It's funny, you know. In standard German there is no real equivalent for that expression- to be big-headed - but the Bavarian dialect has a nice word that says exactly the same. Sounds great, too. The word is 'großkopfert'... Ain't that interesting? :p ;) :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

GEDC2969.JPG
Miss T x

Smashing as always!

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Thank you... :eek:

It's funny, you know. In standard German there is no real equivalent for that expression- to be big-headed - but the Bavarian dialect has a nice word that says exactly the same. Sounds great, too. The word is 'großkopfert'... Ain't that interesting? :p ;) :D

That´s not difficult to pronounce! ;)

rue

That "B"-lookin' thing is a double-S. Frau Rue. "Gross-kop-fert". Practice until the p and f blend together like the "Pffft" when you give someone the razzberry. Beginning German looks a lot worse than it really is... it's remembering it all after years of disuse that's the killer.

Thank you DB :) Funny, I'm almost half German, but have no clue about the language [huh]

Funny, I'm almost half German, but have no clue about the language [huh]

Just think, in German your name would be spelled . :D

I love the German language and alphabet -- I took it for three years in high school. Though I've always had difficulty reading fraktur print found in pre-war German books and periodicals. I found that the two key languages to learn are German and Spanish. Both are very simple and once you know them many of the other languages -- such as Dutch, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian on the Germanic side -- come very easy.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Just think, in German your name would be spelled . :D

I love the German language and alphabet -- I took it for three years in high school. Though I've always had difficulty reading fraktur print found in pre-war German books and periodicals. I found that the two key languages to learn are German and Spanish. Both are very simple and once you know them many of the other languages -- such as Dutch, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian on the Germanic side -- come very easy.

Then you seem to be one of the few non-native speakers who've found it easy to learn the German language. Most people find it so difficult because it's full of funny exceptions. Let alone the grammar. Even a lot of Germans seem to find the language increasingly difficult. We've had a spelling reform a few years ago which I hate. I don't use it. Instead of giving the kids a better education they simply went and made a mess of the spelling rules. They basically admitted (albeit backhandedly) that more and more students are simply - and sadly - unable and/or unwilling to thoroughly learn even the basic rules.

Reading fraktur type is simply a matter of practice. Every now and then I happen to read an old book that's been printed using fraktur and the procedure is alway the same: I read three pages to get the hang of it and then start all over again... ;)

Ok. Rant over...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe