Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Panache

A-List Customer
Scotus said:
You look smashing, Jamie. That's just the thing flat caps were invented for, right :) (which looks much better in the black & white, given my feelings on tartan flat caps). ;)

Scotus,

Well I trade it out for a lovely tweed bucket hat I am quite fond of. ;)

Cheers

Jamie

anon`

One Too Many
Yesterday. Too many layers not to post. Click for larger:

Midnight Mallory homburg, likely from the mid-to-late '30s and sold right here in Portland at Meier & Frank.
Super-dark-almost-black charcoal overcoat by Curlee Clothes with patch hip and a welted breast pocket, NRA-labelled topcoat. Nifty back treatment, too. (It doesn't show up too well, but there are two pleats centered at the waist on either side.)
Modern gloves and cashmere scarf.

Blue suit by Fashion Tailored Clothes, one of my favourites. It's a neat sort of herringbone wave, with what looks like a periodic tonal stripe effect and a kind of reddish (merlot? pumpkin? not sure!) windowpane. No labels or identifying information of any sort other than the maker's tag. Based on the fit and design choices, I'm convinced that this is from the earlier part of the '30s.
Woven silk tie by Manhattan. Lots of pinks and magenta shades... loves the blue suits. Also form the '30s.
Shirt is from MyTailor (the fabric is "Cadet Blue") and the pocket square is just some nondescript modern linen jobbie.
The waistcoat came from an estate in Toronto as part of a morning dress ensemble whose coat it dated 1929. I can only presume that the waistcoat is contemporary of that. And yes, I'm aware that it's missing a button... fell off last night.

Not visible are cufflinks (y'all have seen them before, however: they're red-enamelled guilloche with a white ring around the center on a base metal of some sort) that belonged to my great grandfather, watch (a Longines tank dated 1934), shoes (Park Avenues in merlot, nothing special but for the price) and braces (which don't need elaboration here).

As an aside, I had a gentleman greet me in passing yesterday with "Shalom," which was a first for me.

Bugsy

One Too Many
anon` said:

Midnight Mallory homburg, likely from the mid-to-late '30s and sold right here in Portland at Meier & Frank.
Super-dark-almost-black charcoal overcoat by Curlee Clothes with patch hip and a welted breast pocket, NRA-labelled topcoat. Nifty back treatment, too. (It doesn't show up too well, but there are two pleats centered at the waist on either side.)

Blue suit by Fashion Tailored Clothes, one of my favourites. It's a neat sort of herringbone wave, with what looks like a periodic tonal stripe effect and a kind of reddish (merlot? pumpkin? not sure!) windowpane. No labels or identifying information of any sort other than the maker's tag. Based on the fit and design choices, I'm convinced that this is from the earlier part of the '30s.
Woven silk tie by Manhattan. Lots of pinks and magenta shades... loves the blue suits. Also form the '30s.
Shirt is from MyTailor (the fabric is "Cadet Blue") and the pocket square is just some nondescript modern linen jobbie.
The waistcoat came from an estate in Toronto as part of a morning dress ensemble whose coat it dated 1929. I can only presume that the waistcoat is contemporary of that. And yes, I'm aware that it's missing a button... fell off last night.

Not visible are cufflinks (y'all have seen them before, however: they're red-enamelled guilloche with a white ring around the center on a base metal of some sort) that belonged to my great grandfather, watch (a Longines tank dated 1934), shoes (Park Avenues in merlot, nothing special but for the price) and braces (which don't need elaboration here).

As an aside, I had a gentleman greet me in passing yesterday with "Shalom," which was a first for me.

What a great ensemble!! You really have all working for you with this one. :eusa_clap

kamikat said:
Which pattern is this? It's perfect!

Thanks, Audrey and Kamikat! I actually made 2 calico shorts from this pattern - I believe it's a Simplicity one - and I made a couple of slight changes - mainly the sleeves. I'll look up the pattern number and let you know.

(I'm thinking it could use a couple of darts in the waist maybe, too, but I really made them as an alternative to wearing t-shirts.)

brendon

Familiar Face
anon` said:

excellent keep it up

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Boodles said:
Nick D sir, can you share any information with us on how spats are sized? I recall one pair on the 'bay sometime back which was listed as a 5. Do you know how that translates to a shoe size, say in my own case of being a size 10? Thank you.

This is something that I've wondered about, too. I knew these fit because I could try them on in the shop. They are marked 10, but I'm a UK size 7.5. I should take out the tape measure and see if the 10 refers to the measurement around the ankle.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
anon` said:

:eusa_clap Excellent!! The back on the overcoat is very nice.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Thanks Nick D

Nick D said:
This is something that I've wondered about, too. I knew these fit because I could try them on in the shop. They are marked 10, but I'm a UK size 7.5. I should take out the tape measure and see if the 10 refers to the measurement around the ankle.

Given that you needed a size 10 (Also UK I assume) to cover a UK size 7-1/2 shoe I'm now sure I'd have no idea what size to buy unless I can find a shop which sells them. This news will save me from making an error on the 'bay. Maybe someone will join in with more details. Thanks for taking a look.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
P1020131.jpg

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Rare, snowy day in Asheville

We have had only 2 major snows in WNC this winter, and both have been unusually heavy. Because of this morning's weather forecast, I dressed a little more ruggedly for the office than I usually do. No suit today - Bill's Khakis heavy canvas trousers, Viyella shirt, British Handcraft Ltd sweater, Loden overcoat, tweed cap and heavily greased Filson boots.

IMG_2310.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Mountain Man said:
We have had only 2 major snows in WNC this winter, and both have been unusually heavy. Because of this morning's weather forecast, I dressed a little more ruggedly for the office than I usually do. No suit today - Bill's Khakis heavy canvas trousers, Viyella shirt, British Handcraft Ltd sweater, Loden overcoat, tweed cap and heavily greased Filson boots.

IMG_2310.jpg

Great for us older chaps

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Went to the opening of the opera season last night, so it was a rare excuse to wear my white tie and tails! Sorry for the self portrait in the dingy bathroom mirror here, but my better half canceled on me so I had to go solo...

Vintage Palm Beach tailcoat (probably 1950s?), matching trousers made by Indy Magnoli, Vintage Shirt Company marcella shirt and bow tie, detachable collar by Vintage Shirt Company, vintage 1940s British marcella waistcoat, vintage Swank MOP cufflink and stud set, white linen pocket square, and some nice plain toe oxfords by John Bros. Mini-carnations are hard to find in Hawaii, so I used a white orchid.

382019607.jpg

382019605.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld