Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Was up visiting my friends from college today so I had to be extra spiffy.

*Vintage Champ fedora
*Modern Arrow shirt
*1930s "Sugar and Spice" tie
*Modern 6x3 jacket
*Vintage vest
*Vintage watch chain
*Modern full-cut trousers
*Socks from the Gap
*Modern spectators
*Modern suspenders

me021.jpg

me022.jpg

crazysocks.jpg

Marty M.

Vendor
Leonard Leroy said:
Thanks, thanks.

I post on this community every now and then, normally with questions. Usually I follow up with a fit pic. I have a lot of respect for that which has a lot of history, such as the schott perfecto. I like classic things which are timeless. But I'm a young whipper snapper, and it makes no sense for me to look old while wearing such pieces, it's just not flattering. I try my best to have respect for what is already established, but show that new things can continue to be found in what's already there.

Everyone, young and old, seems to assign a "punk aesthetic" to the jacket, but my inspiration for getting one (aside from a good deal) was this:

sketches.jpg

And of course, brando and dean, and all that jazz, but those are big shoes to fill.

Well spoken LL. Good to see you posting over here at the Lounge.
Marty Mathis

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I am deliberately de-formalizing the double-breasted suit I'm wearing today by pairing it with a button-down shirt and Euro-loafers. Contrarian me! I'm going to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers opening game after work tonight, in suit and tie of course, although I'll replace my fedora with a Timber Rattlers cap. :)

Navy mini-check double-breasted ventless suit
Polo white button-down
Purple patterned tie
Buzzing fly tie tack (not sure of the vintage, but people love this piece; a real conversation starter!)
Purple patterned silk pocket square, points up
Red mini-carnation, right lapel
Baseball lapel pin, left lapel
Purple patterned braces with gold and light blue mini-squares
Swiss Army watch with black band (right wrist)
Polished stainless steel link bracelet (left wrist)
Burberry cologne
JAB navy patterned OTC socks
Bally sleek black penny loafers
Vintage Dobbs navy fedora with black band
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers cap for later
Burberry olive trenchcoat with tan wool collar (slight chance of rain, but I also might need this for warmth at the ball park tonight)

kschurch

Vendor
Marty M. said:
Atta boy Church. The right formal shoe.
Marty Mathis

Thanks Marty!

I believe that AE only made these for a short time and they may not have been big sellers. I bought these and the "Spencer" model in the black suede cord...for $89.00 each on the AE ebay store.

The black suede adds a great texture to a Tuxudo. I love them.

Cheers,

Church

epr25

Practically Family
I hate this. I had this happen to me. This was before I was a vintage person. In fact this has something to do with becoming a vintage person. I was at Marshall Fields with $300.00 in my purse wanting to buy a suit for job interviewing. No one would help me. Even after asking. They were to preoccupied with the higher end soccer moms. At the time I was kind of goth I guess for lack of any other description. This made me so mad I just left dejected. I ended up going to a local antique mall just to look and found a stunning 40's black suit that fit me like it was made for me. It was only $50. I still have it. So thanks to the snobs at the store for not helping me. I am most assuredly a better dresser and person for it!

Vintage Betty said:
:eek:fftopic: I worked retail 10 years, and in one location, I worked with the biggest do-nothing snobs in the lowest quality chain retail store. I repeatedly hit 10x my quota. And I gave the other girls my customer sales to boot. But whenever a "not fancy" customer walked in the door, they would ignore that person unless directly confronted. :rage:

One day a woman came in and was very badly dressed, and very quiet. I asked her what she was looking for, and she responded "anything on sale; preferably the lowest price possible". It turned out she liked to purchase in quantity for a woman's shelter and donate gifts of clothing anonymously. She started buying from me in mass quantity, and before I quit, she was buying up to $500/week in marked down items! She was loaded; just was extraordinarily generous and liked to buy for others. :eek: It never hurts to treat people with respect....

/off soapbox

Vintage Betty

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I'm working from home today because I was suddenly hit by a bug last night at the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers game. I toyed with the notion that it might have had something to do with the two burgers I ate at the game, but those babies were very well-done (as I like them) so I don't think it can have been that. And stomach involvement has been fairly mild. The main symptom was a sudden case of the chills, followed by restless fitful sleep and a 100 degree temperature this morning.

So I'm taking it easy today, catching up on my work email and other light remote tasks, eating bland rice and ginger ale. Nonetheless, I did get dressed, because I had to leave the apartment briefly to get my morning coffee and Snackwells. I also might go to a meeting of a local professional aliance later this afternoon, if I'm feeling up to it.

As always, my cat Claire is visibly delighted to have me home for the day.

Navy SB 3B ventless blazer
JAB grey herringbone cuffed cotton trousers (new purchase, first wearing; the trousers have a medium heaviness and are very nice for business casual purposes)
Marshall Field's light blue button-down
Green/grey geometric-patterned tie
Green silk pocket square, puff fold
Vintage trout fly, left lapel
Black leather dress belt, silver buckle and tip
Swiss Army watch with black band (right wrist)
Polished stainless steel link bracelet (left wrist)
JAB charcoal grey patterned OTC socks
Bass black tassel loafers with woven leather vamps
Polo wireframe eyeglasses (couldn't be bothered putting in my contacts today)

Overall, the outfit is jauntier than I feel!

MissHannah

One Too Many
My new suit!! (Shame about the edge of my cardi sleeves hanging out the bottom of the cuffs - I have monkey-length arms!)

Outfit080408.jpg

yells4.jpg
yells9.jpg

My favourite sick attire is pyjamas, It's nice that you still make the effort Patrick. I hope you feel better soon, though I'm sure Claire has been fussing over you :D

:eek:fftopic:
Whilst I was vacuuming at work today I saw a real gentleman, he was dressed in smart trousers, shirt, beautiful overcoat & a silk cravat. He stopped to let some schoolgirl get on the escalator before him, and she didn't acknowledge him. That irked me.

Just thought I'd tell you.

Today I wore Black pencil skirt, seamed stockings, black ballet pumps, white shirt & black cardi. When I got to work I put on my black apron. Hair was done in rolls & a hat was worn when I went shopping. It's difficult to make my boring work uniform 'special', you know what I mean??!!

Hannah, that is such a beautiful suit. And I doubt I would have noticed the monkey arms, should you not have pointed it out ;)

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
My favourite sick attire is pyjamas, It's nice that you still make the effort Patrick. I hope you feel better soon, though I'm sure Claire has been fussing over you :D

Thank you (and thank you, too, Bugsy)! If I were worse sick I would be in PJs too, as I hate the prospect of messing up nice clothes. Today I'm sort of borderline achey/chilly/tired, but trying to get a few things done anyway.

Claire is indeed especially attentive in these situations. Animals are so intuitive.

JEEP

Practically Family
Todays attire for work (sorry about the tired face - my boss was a pain today):

Billede010.jpg

Eight-panel leather newsboy
USW Indy Goatskin
Navy blue SNS Sailor's sweater (made by the same family owned company since 1931)
Blue jeans
Black webbing belt
Brown leather Meindl Copenhagen shoes

/Jakob

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
My new suit!! (Shame about the edge of my cardi sleeves hanging out the bottom of the cuffs - I have monkey-length arms!)

Outfit080408.jpg

yells4.jpg
yells9.jpg

MissHannah! That suit looks great! I really like that color, it's striking on you, if I may say so. I just wanted to let you know also that I too suffer from the monkey arm syndrome. It's a sad epidemic. It's tricky to find shirts in my size. However, the monkey arms do come in handy for reaching things. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe