Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Avalon

A-List Customer
Just finished "Sin in Soft Focus" by Mark Vieira, "Lulu Forever" by Peter Cowie, and "Saving Fish From Drowning" by Amy Tan. Now I've started "Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood" by Mick LaSalle.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished "Fire at the Grove" by John C. Esposito, a reexamination of the famous 1942 fire at the Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Boston that killed nearly 500 people. It's written by a lawyer as a meticulously-researched indictment of the corrupt politicans and sleazy business practices that were responsible for the apalling death toll. Most memorable moment -- a Grove staffer blocking the front exit as the fire rushed toward the foyer, insisting that no one leave until they pay their check. A truly haunting book.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I just finished a book called The woman who walked to Russia...about a journalist trying to find evidence/proof of the existance of this lady who walked through canada into alaska and then into Russia in the late 20's.

Interesting, but not what I expected.

GOK

One Too Many
Non Fiction; Edith Head by David Chierichetti - not a bad read but certainly not brilliant. I'm not impressed by Chierichetti's style of writing - it seems to be to be quite amateur. But there are some great photos and it offers quite an insight into Head; a lot of which I can easily empathise with.

Fiction; Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd. I've read most of his work and whilst I love it, I am now finding them to be quite formulaic, which is a shame.

I also tend to dip in and out of various costuming books too.

canucklehead

New in Town
Currently reading Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler.

That Fire in the Grove sounds as fascinating as it does appalling.

I have no idea what I'll read next, but I've assembled a few possibilities from reading over this thread.

-Mike

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Polka Dot said:
What I wish I was reading: a fluffy bit of escapist fiction.

What I am re-reading: Kant, Hegel, and Nietzsche.

Any theological-metaphysic views regarding Kant?
(warum Nietzche und Hegel?)

Speaking of Kant; paean nihilisim predicate to moral relativity,
ever take any courses under McBrien at Notre Dame?
Hegel's historical analysis accepted as valid, but societal constraint upon individual
leads disagreement; Nietzche's rejection of God and morality, coupled to Kant's assault
on Truth, set stage for subsequent dissident theology. I'm in a Wilde mood todaylol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Lately I've read The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. Now I am reading The Vicomte de Bragellone. It has been food for the soul.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
I am currently reading (...) Mike Carey's second Felix Castor (aka John Constantine!) novel.

I was given a copy of this a couple of months back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I really must get the first one!

SaraBell

Familiar Face
Harp said:

Hegel's historical analysis accepted as valid, but societal constraint upon individual
leads disagreement; Nietzche's rejection of God and morality, coupled to Kant's assault
on Truth, set stage for subsequent dissident theology. I'm in a Wilde mood todaylol

Hmmmm...I like Nietzche...and Wilde :rolleyes:

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Harp said:

I'm finishing up a course on the dialogue between music and literature (and if, in fact, such a dialogue exists). The course readings were primarily theoretical, rather than literary, and we read whole works by Aristotle, Plato, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Rousseau, and Adorno. As you can imagine my mind is swimming in aesthetic philosophy, rather than the more preferable inverse. (But not so much metaphysics or theology. There's only so much a girl can take. ;))

In theory, I've perfectly absorbed these texts and can synthesize a nice argument for my final paper on a book by Assia Djebar, an Algerian writer recently admitted to the Académie française. In practice, it's all a big muddle and will probably remain so until I finish another final paper.

I didn't take any courses with McBrien while at ND. I honestly didn't have much space in my schedule for electives once I returned from France, so unfortunately I could only take the bare minimum of theology courses. There was this great course called Literary Catholicism that everyone raved about, but when I finally had space in my schedule, Father Charlie decided to take a break from teaching.

As for the Wildean mood, you mentioned on another thread The Duchess of Padua, which I have never read. I think I'll put it on my Christmas vacation reading list.

I can't figure out whether I should put an off-topic sign on this post. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe