Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I finally bought a paperback copy of Water for Elephants and read it straight through, putting aside my other books to do so.

I was fearful of reading it when it first came out because I knew it was about a love triangle involving a sadistic manager in a Depression-era circus with lots of animals.

It was a really good book.

karol

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Thanks, Spiffy! I think the reason TC was suggested was because of my being an amateur paleontologist with a special focus on tyrannosaurs. (I wore out 3 copies of Jurassic Park, if that tells you anything...)

Any of 'em particularly less gruesome than the others?

Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D!

If you believe that T-Rex's can survive in 200+ degree F weather, get by without any food (besides glowing birds and super pirahnas), run slower than Brendan Frasier and have boats for heads. Which I do.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
I accidentally killed a book today!!!:eek:

I had a paperback open on the passenger seat of my car, and I left it there when I went back into work. On the way home, I threw my (enormous, heavy) purse on top of it.....I cracked the spine and the last third of the book fell out.

I also realized that reading a book about people who were shot in their cars by a serial murderer (Monster of Florence) is not a good book to read in my car on my lunch hour. I am therefore reading The Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl by Belle du Jour (origin of the BBC miniseries) to take my mind off it. Oh my word, it is dirty.....but in the best way!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Am now reading Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.

I had not read any of the good novels written by women in the early 19th century, except for Silas Marner by George Eliot (required reading). I stayed away from what some call the "girly" novels, preferring the more adventurous books.

A friend told me to read Austen "for the beauty of the language." I am doing so and it is true, the language is almost Shakespearean. But, what I wasn't prepared for was the humor, the sharp wit and Austen's keen eye.

I am enjoying it immensely.

karol

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Spiffy said:
I also realized that reading a book about people who were shot in their cars by a serial murderer (Monster of Florence) is not a good book to read in my car on my lunch hour. I am therefore reading The Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl by Belle du Jour (origin of the BBC miniseries) to take my mind off it. Oh my word, it is dirty.....but in the best way!

Wow. You're certainly a woman of extremes, aren't you? :D

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
I just finished reading The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. Believe it or not, the book and the movie stick very closely together. I couldn't help picturing Bogie whenever I was reading about Sam Spade. Honestly, the man and the character have become one and the same to me. The book is great though. Hammett mastered the art of the detective novel.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Neil Gabler's biography of Walt Disney. It's very long and detailed, but so far it doesn't add a lot to the previous bios.

Yes, I've read them all - Bob Thomas's, Richard Shickel's, the partial ones in other books by Leonard Maltin, Charles Solomon, etc.: Disney was a fascinating individual, seemingly a real mass of contradictions.

And I'm also looking forward to readiing Mike Barrier's new one, The Animated Man, sometime later, bcause Barrier is a really perceptive animation historian with a very definite POV...

(His site - http://www.michaelbarrier.com/index.html - is a must-see for animation fans.)

Smuterella

One Too Many
Cricket said:
Cannery Row by Steinbeck. I am loving it so far. The characters are wonderful.

Oh, I love the Cannery Row books, Sweet Thursday is one of my favourites. In fact I just love Steinbeck. Its the working class edge that I love. The characters with their mix of quiet resignation and simmering resentment.

Cricket

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
Oh, I love the Cannery Row books, Sweet Thursday is one of my favourites. In fact I just love Steinbeck. Its the working class edge that I love. The characters with their mix of quiet resignation and simmering resentment.

You and I are in the same boat. I love him. I think it the working class, gritty characters that I love. I plan on taking Sweet Thursday to the beach in a couple of weeks. I will keep you in mind while the waves hit my feet, my drink is in one hand and Steinbeck in the other.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Finished Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl and am now considering finding Diablo Cody's stripper book and having a bit of a theme-read month. Also purchased Persopholis on my lunch break today, I started reading it in line at Barnes and Noble and realized I was all teared up. It's my philosophy that if a book makes me laugh out loud or cry I should immediately purchase it.

Also went to the used bookstore and bought:
Lady Chatterly's Lover (yes, because Mad Men said there were sexy bits)
Donnie Brasco (it was in the $0.75 pile! I couldn't leave it!)
In the Clan of the Cave Bear (due to this article)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
At the moment I'm reading "Showman- The Life of David O Selznick" by David Thomson.

".... this superb biography chronicles the Golden Age as seen from deep inside the gold mine and from behind locked doors.....this book is about the shape of this century, turning from reality toward glamour, the legend-the fantasy- of the movies."

I like it so far! :D

Buddy

New in Town
Just finsihed rereading Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff." I have one of those cool Sony ebook readers, but I keep forgtting to charge it up, so I actually read an honest to goodness book made of paper. :D

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Buddy said:
Just finsihed rereading Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff." I have one of those cool Sony ebook readers, but I keep forgtting to charge it up, so I actually read an honest to goodness book made of paper. :D

How are they for reading long texts? I find it difficult to manage on the monitor. But that's not quite the same thing, of course.

Cricket

Practically Family
I love checking books out from the library that are really old. There is just something about an old book with its dusty smell and hard covers. I have an obsession with that book smell and it is frightening. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe