Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about earmuffs?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I haven't worn earmuffs since my grammar school days. [huh]

The cold starts bothering my ears when the temp dips below 20 °F . Add wind or an extended stay outdoors and I'll reach for one of my Thinsulate lined tweed flat caps with drop down ear flaps (rabbit lined). Tested and approved for Chicago Winters.

Shoes454.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I know I am not a fella, but I have to put in my 2 cents on ear bags. They are the best!!! I love mine. (Too bad I lost them - I have to find new ones.) But they are the only thing that I have found that does not fight with other head gear. The 180 things sometimes either fight with the hat or they fight with the collar of the coat. I hate fussing. And I have some hats that just barely cover my ears - so I put the ear bags on too and they keep all air out of my ears. They are really very functional and I have some knit hats that cover my ears but are too thin to keep the cold air out - so again I put them on underneath - now I can where the hats I like and still be warm. I am all about function, but the ear bags are so unobtrusive they really don't detract from your look either. (We sold tons of them when I used to work at a coffee shop/gear shop - to guys too!) I recommend them.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Mrs. Merl said:
I know I am not a fella, but I have to put in my 2 cents on ear bags. They are the best!!! I love mine.
I recommend them.

They look like the way to go Mrs. Merl. Nice and compact too. I may have to try them out.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
de Stokesay said:
I have a set called Ear Bags, that you sort of put your ears into and that stay on all by themselves. They work very well with a fedora as there is no band to get in the way. Lately though, I have been wearing my muskrat fur hat (like the Russian style) as it is too cold here to wear a fedora. It's -33 degrees right now and I walk a mile to and from work.

de Stokesay

-33 degrees and you walk a mile to and from work? You're a better man than me.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
de Stokesay said:
I have a set called Ear Bags, that you sort of put your ears into and that stay on all by themselves. They work very well with a fedora as there is no band to get in the way. Lately though, I have been wearing my muskrat fur hat (like the Russian style) as it is too cold here to wear a fedora. It's -33 degrees right now and I walk a mile to and from work.

de Stokesay

Good Lord, man!

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
No one needs ear muffs if it's above freezing. NO ONE.

You obviously do not have ear problems. If it gets too chilly and my ears get cold - I literally will get so dizzy and sick that until I get them warmed up I am pretty much incapacitated. I take care of my ears - and my first priority is that they stay warm - all style issues aside.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
No one needs ear muffs if it's above freezing. NO ONE.

That would be above 32 degrees celsius. It's been in single digits in my neck of the woods. Negative single digits. 32 degrees would be a heat wave. ;)

Fredthecat

One of the Regulars
Why just yesterday I was watching TCM B&W 1940's movies and guys were wearing ear muffs with fedoras in winter scenes...and it didn't look odd.

I remember earmuffs of old had fake fur and thin plastic adjustable headbands. Suppose you may have to wear a fedora one size larger to make it fit right.

Found them:
$3.99 @ Amazon.com

And we shoulda known....yes there is an ear muff store on the inter web.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chuck Bobuck said:
I don't know...a person could get shot walking around dressed like a critter.

If they're dressed like that...one would hope a "hunting accident" would ensue. Some folks just need to be taken out of the gene pool before they can spawn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld