Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

fmw

One Too Many
My only true western and these are pics before I got it refurbed at Peter Bros. My father bought it back in the late 60s and wore it for about 10 years 'till he gave it to me. It's a 4x Stetson and I braided the Kangaroo band and used some tail hair from a mare I owned for the tassels. He wore it with the brown cord band it came with and this is the crease he wore it with. it's got a wear/moth hole up in the top of the pinch but I dont mind, gives it "atmosphere" to me :) I need to get some more current pics soon.

11-8-10001.jpg

What? A Texan with only one western hat? I'm speechless. It has a ton of character, though, and looks great to me.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
What? A Texan with only one western hat? I'm speechless. It has a ton of character, though, and looks great to me.

Thanks, It's cleaner now though the color's still the same. It was a darker brown originally but with sun and age it's lightened to this color now. I have had other Western hat's in the past, this is the only full on Western I have now :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are my latest westerns.

The first is a 3X Clear Beaver from American Hat Co. Not sure if this is similar to the quality of a Stetson Clear Beaver, but I'm hoping it is so lol.
The brim is only 3.5'' wide, but this picture makes it seem much wider. Also not that the crown is sort of a teardrop/gus w/ mulekick. The front pinches make it look quite tapered, but in reality this is not the case.

AHCo3.jpg

The second hat is my recently completed custom from Buckaroo Hatters. 100% Beaver, steel grey felt in Major Moore's "mountain man" style (though a slightly higher crown than the norm for that style), with a one-of-a-kind bead-and-quill hatband that I found lying around the shop. 3.75'' brim with a slight curl to the brim, and a rounded-off 5'' crown. Wish I could get better shots, but the weather here's been cloudy and wet all week.

untitled7.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You've hit it right on the head, Hato. Thanks!

I also have a vintage western from either a company or a store called Engler's. I forgot to take a picture of it when I had it (I left at home when I went back to college), but here's the Ebay auction link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/260838137750?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

There's also this one. It's a vintage Resistol 25. I don't have it on me, as it probably just arrived this week back home. Here's the auction link to that one. When I get my hands on it it'll probably get reshaped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170685948359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Look forward to seeing your westerns.

Not as many as you but those are the ones I wear most and I think I already posted detailed pictures of them all here.
hatsiwear.jpg

Back row left to right: Resistol Diamont horseshoe 20x, Stetson 5x, Resistol 8x Straw (it had a George Strait crease but I changed it a bit)
Front row left to right: Stetson 3x beaver and Resistol 20x Black Gold.

I do have other westerns but I only wear them at special events and some I don't wear at all but because I like them, I keep them stored (I might wear them one time only in a year so they can take some "air" ).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The second hat is my recently completed custom from Buckaroo Hatters. 100% Beaver, steel grey felt in Major Moore's "mountain man" style (though a slightly higher crown than the norm for that style), with a one-of-a-kind bead-and-quill hatband that I found lying around the shop. 3.75'' brim with a slight curl to the brim, and a rounded-off 5'' crown. Wish I could get better shots, but the weather here's been cloudy and wet all week.

untitled7.jpg

Sorry to be so late responding to this one, but Alex-- that is really fantastic! A very special hat for sure. Major props to you and the Major.

job

One Too Many
My father gave me a western style hat. It is a 7 1/8 and it fits my son perfectly. It is made of cotton and polyester and has a satin lining. It also has a wire brim. It's a old cheap hat but it is built like a tank compared to those wal-mart westerns. My son loves it.
sept2011164.jpg
sept2011163.jpg
sept2011172.jpg
sept2011162.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
No rattlesnakes on my country nor big snakes were I live.

Got a wool western hat (my first one). I'm trying to find some info about it because I don't know if Resistol made wool hats.
It's a XX premium wool Made in Texas.
Liner have printed "Bradford Western by Resistol".
Model is Staples(Midway)
Item Number BW01090740 STAP--R
STAPLES is printed in sweatband and the hatband have Staples too.
I'll try to post some pictures by the weekend.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
All I can say is that comparing this "staples" hat with a 20x black gold you can only tell it's a wool hat by the touch. Color is about the same (reeeeally black). It's very very stiff like a straw (at least comparing with my 8x Resistol) and by the touch it's almost like very fine sandpaper (ok not that "hard"), very very different from a felp or beaver hat.
I like it... don't like the brim crease. I think I'll steam it a bit.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
OK

Here are some pictures of this Staples western hat:
staples1.jpg

^^general view

staples2.jpg

^^detail of the ticket and sweatband

staples3.jpg

^^detail on the hatband

staples4.jpg

^^complete sweatband + liner

staples5.jpg

^^it needs the brim reshaped

I can only find that there is a Staples store in Midway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld