Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Very nice hats, I agree, and thanks a lot. That's the way it is, with our hobby (and money does help, I admit-I refer to the Nutria, which didn't come cheap), but there's some treasures on eBay I would never have even suspected existed if that marketplace had not come to be created.

As to looking like Bill Cody, well, I confess the only thing between us might be the looks; otherwise Buffalo Bill was in another league, as Pony Express courier, as wild west man, as entrepreneur, as showman...nope...ain't me, sorry, and I don't try to be!

It's one of the criticisms of wearing a western hat whilst not having any relation to cowboys, or even the part of the world those hats come from. That first hat, the Stetson Nutria, could well be derided as being a movie star's folly (yet it was a working tool in their particular Hollywood trade, world wouldn't have been the same without the movies and their spate of excentric actors and actresses). In spite of being such an obviously "ludicrous" hat, it's one of the most remarkable testimonies to hatmaking I have in my small but sherished collection: the felt is simply incredible...soft, pliable...I'll stop right here!
Thanks,
Paul

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
1940's Stetson Nutria "movie hat"....
IMG_1483.jpg

Reminds me of some of the old Tom Mix photos,

12fb4035.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Show us your westerns. Include your country hats. Here is the dozen I wear most often

westernhats.jpg

Front row L to R: MHT black wool felt, Stetson Rancher Gray Mist 7X, Resistol chocolate 3X, Serratelli silverbelly 8X
Second row L to R: Stetson Bent Tree Shantung, Stetson Open Road silverbelly 4X, Stetson light brown 4X, Stetson Sturgis brown wool felt
Third Row L to R: Akubra Cattleman brown, Stetson Cool Water Shantung, Buckaroo Custom medium gray, Akubra Flinders brown.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Thanks for those Buffalo Bill and Tom Mix photographs...kettle finish raw edges!
FMW, great collection. I'm certain you wear cowboy hats... if it weren't for that huge number of people in the western USA wearing their cowboy hats, the very idea might have disappeared altogether, and "felt" ended up in museums, at best.
Paul (gosh the weather is bleak in Belgium right now, grey sky and consistent soft rain: good for the potatoes, but that's all!)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Show us your westerns. Include your country hats. Here is the dozen I wear most often

Nice collection.

Do most people switch that many hats?
How many wear a Resistol 20x or higher?

By the weekend I'll try to do the same.

Paul (gosh the weather is bleak in Belgium right now, grey sky and consistent soft rain: good for the potatoes, but that's all!)

Portugal is starting to heat up. Time to start to get my straw out!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

westernhats.jpg

Front row L to R: MHT black wool felt, Stetson Rancher Gray Mist 7X, Resistol chocolate 3X, Serratelli silverbelly 8X
Second row L to R: Stetson Bent Tree Shantung, Stetson Open Road silverbelly 4X, Stetson light brown 4X, Stetson Sturgis brown wool felt
Third Row L to R: Akubra Cattleman brown, Stetson Cool Water Shantung, Buckaroo Custom medium gray, Akubra Flinders brown.

fmw,
That's a VERY NICE selection of Westerns and Country hats ! I especially like the two Akubras :) Do you have any closer shots of the Brown Flinders? It looks to have a different crease than the one it comes with and that hat band looks to be a braided Kangaroo?

fmw

One Too Many
I call it a Flinders because that is what is written on the sweatband. It appears to have been an exclusive. At any rate, you see it in its original brand new state - except for the braided kangaroo leather band, of course. Here's an image with the original hat band.

flinders.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Nice collection.

Do most people switch that many hats?
How many wear a Resistol 20x or higher?

By the weekend I'll try to do the same.

Portugal is starting to heat up. Time to start to get my straw out!

Most people don't own that many hats and I'm a small timer compared to many on Fedora Lounge. It gets even worse because these are just the country and western hats. I have another bunch of city hats and yet another bunch of straws. Actually, I normally keep 8 hats in my rotation because that is the number of pegs I have on the utility room wall. I change them from time to time as the whim strikes me. Look forward to seeing your westerns.

Adam Corral 101
adam4.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach
stagec1.jpg

Resistol "Rawhide" - going for Rowdy Yates look....
P1010001.jpg

I've got 2 custom westerns that I just realized I have never posted photos of & need to get some shots...

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My only true western and these are pics before I got it refurbed at Peter Bros. My father bought it back in the late 60s and wore it for about 10 years 'till he gave it to me. It's a 4x Stetson and I braided the Kangaroo band and used some tail hair from a mare I owned for the tassels. He wore it with the brown cord band it came with and this is the crease he wore it with. it's got a wear/moth hole up in the top of the pinch but I dont mind, gives it "atmosphere" to me :) I need to get some more current pics soon.

11-8-10001.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Adam Corral 101
adam4.jpg

Resistol Stagecoach
stagec1.jpg

Resistol "Rawhide" - going for Rowdy Yates look....
P1010001.jpg

I've got 2 custom westerns that I just realized I have never posted photos of & need to get some shots...

It looks like you are fan of the 3 1/2" brim. Me too. The stagecoach has a great crease. Did you put it there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld