Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

One of the Regulars
FWIW, here's a Stetson ad from 1955 showing that a 3X Boss of the Plains with a 3 1/2" brim went for $20:

1955BossofthePlains.jpg

Well, I guess that explains the Akubra Boss of the Plains. I wondered why they used that name for an oversized Open Road .

I could easily be wrong about the 4X rating, I read it on here somewhere and I can't remember who said it. All the same I avoid modern 3 X Stetsons I see on ebay, just in case.

Last edited:
...I could easily be wrong about the 4X rating, I read it on here somewhere and I can't remember who said it. All the same I avoid modern 3 X Stetsons I see on ebay, just in case.

3X from the period of the ad posted by JtL is a TOTALLY different felt than modern 3X. It was a higher level than Royal Deluxe. Today, the Western Collection by HatCo for Stetson has a 3X Wool!!!!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
My early 70s (presumably) Stetson western is a 3X, and I think I had read before that there is wool content in there. Not a bad felt, but not as nice as all fur. This is the one with a rolled/bound brim that I changed the ribbon on recently (don't have time now to link to my previous posts, but they're in this thread). One of my favorite hats anyhow.

One of the Regulars
3X from the period of the ad posted by JtL is a TOTALLY different felt than modern 3X. It was a higher level than Royal Deluxe. Today, the Western Collection by HatCo for Stetson has a 3X Wool!!!!

Yeah, there's actually two posts combined there. The old ad explains why Akubra used the BOP name for an overgrown Open Road which has always puzzled me. I've heard the same as you that a modern Stetson 3X is a wool felt hat.

HatsEnough

Banned
I have sort of had a hankerin to have a Stetson western turned into the sort of wide brimmed, Homburg-styled western that Tim Oyliphant wore in Deadwood. Who would you guys recommend that I could send a Stetson to for the brim to be curled and the hat to be blocked that'a way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe