Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I saw the Western "Seraphim Falls" over the week-end with Liam Neeson. I'm trying to guess the brim width on his hat he wore. Any guesses?

Seraphim Falls hat 01.jpg

Seraphim Falls 02.jpg

Seraphim Falls 03.jpg

Seraphim Falls 04.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

That's at least two different hats. Top picture has no pencil curl and is a teardrop. The bottom hat has a pencil curl and doesn't appear to have exactly the same crown.

Just my $0.02

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. I have a Resistol Stagecoach coming tomorrow. I want to cut the brim down on it and try to emulate the hat that Liam Neeson is wearing in the photos. 4 1/2 inches at the pinch on the crown, would you say?

John Galt

Vendor
I agree they are different hats. I like the pencil roll. It looks like maybe 3 inches or maybe a little better in terms of the brim. The actual crown height doesn't really matter, from my perspective, because it's gotta fit your melon, not Liam's. Frankly, I believe it will be a better match and look more like the original if the crown & brim are customized rather than slavishly copied.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I agree they are different hats. I like the pencil roll. It looks like maybe 3 inches or maybe a little better in terms of the brim. The actual crown height doesn't really matter, from my perspective, because it's gotta fit your melon, not Liam's. Frankly, I believe it will be a better match and look more like the original if the crown & brim are customized rather than slavishly copied.

I like the version of his hat in the first two pics. Another project you'd care to handle? ;)

John Galt

Vendor
You've gotta buy me a singer 107 or find a black OR - and you can't have mine!

Belay that! I now feel very comfortable tackling brim bindings by hand. We must face our fears in order to overcome them, right? I have broken my teeth on these and am now rejuvenated, I don't need no stinking machine! I can do it, man!

vintage68

Practically Family
I have just ordered my first custom hat from The last Best West Co. Anyone have any stories about these guys? I am loving their product range - and went for The Dodge in Whiskey...

I had Alfred's hat from Legends of the Fall made by Last Best West. You're right, their product range is extensive. Good people to deal with and a decent hat for the money.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I picked up this beaver brand 8X stiff American legend last summer, and thought it may have been intended to stay a western bowler (my favorite kind of bowler!). The crown was just way too big for me to leave open. It looked more like a ten gallon or a hoss hat, so I messed with it this morning, and I think I like it much more with creases! I left it in a mesa pinch, which I think compliments the rest of my collection nicely and I like how it feels on my head now.

Here are some photos of various creases in the process. I liked the cattleman crease too, but the mesa pinch stuck.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392917887189.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392917887189.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 197
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392917906610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392917906610.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 217
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392917939319.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392917939319.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 210
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392917995935.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392917995935.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 221
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392918028828.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392918028828.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 227
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392918044489.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392918044489.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 208

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Putting on the Sherwood Saddlery Western. I don't know anything about who the hatmaker was. The Sherwood Saddlery logo on the liner and on the sweat seems to be the store logo. Embossed on the sweat is "Genuine Fur Felt. Custom Made". I don't know what kind of fur was used but the felt is very dense and stubborn to work with. I was finally able to recrease the crown after some work and then I ironed out the brim and put a swoop in the front....(I like the second crease bowlerman)

Western 01.jpg

Western Dark.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Astor

Banned
Bowlerman I like the second crease,it has some style "unconventional" but who want's to live their life conforming? Second choice first crease has a Deadwood style to it! You wouldn't want to play card's with that guy!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe