Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wested - hard work?

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Hornet35 said:
Yep I did buy a Wested a few weeks ago. It went through the 'light distressing' cycle recomended by Indy jacket aficionados and now doesn't fit me!

Still, the Aero Leather 'Cossack' in seal buffalo arrived today and is a revelation by comparison. Having said that, and to answer your question, the Wested was fine for the money. I'd suggest a visit if you can get there.

H35

OOPS sorry about that H! :eek: Did you get your money back when you sold it?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AlanC

I have owned a Cotton Raiders form wested and they are good jackets. Unfortunately when washing it my wife put it in the dryer to knock out the wrinkles, and forgot it in there, so it shrank....Dramatically. But it was fine while it lasted.
Johnny

AlanC

johnnycanuck said:
AlanC

I have owned a Cotton Raiders form wested and they are good jackets. Unfortunately when washing it my wife put it in the dryer to knock out the wrinkles, and forgot it in there, so it shrank....Dramatically. But it was fine while it lasted.
Johnny

What size is it now? :)

(Thanks for the review.)

johnnycanuck

Ok I just tried it on again. If the truth must be told it did not shrink that much. Just don't tell my wife I said that;) . It still fits a 44 but the cotton shrank a little bit but the lining stayed the same size so the inside is loose. As well as the length is a bit shorter. A bit more noticeable on me being I am 6'-0" tall..... and it could use a hit with an iron.
Johnny

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Just to chime in on Edward's query...

From everything I've seen and heard, Wested's A-2 jackets are disappointing. However, their Indy jackets are outstanding, and you simply won't find a better value in a sharp, custom-sized leather jacket, plus there are plenty of options and variations possible if you make the effort to communicate your needs clearly.

I got a Wested Raiders jacket about five years ago: it fits me better than *any* of my military repros do. No, it is not milspec-tough, but I wanted a lightweight summer leather jacket, so I went for the lambskin (also because it was the original material used in the movie jackets.)

Well, lambskin is indeed fragile: I tore the back panel last year and sent the jacket back to Wested for a repair - they quoted me a very fair price, and I didn't really trust anyone else to match the leather/construction quite as well. They ended up sending it back to me with the torn panel replaced so beautifully that you'd never know it was repaired. And they did NOT charge me ANYTHING for the repair or the return shipping! Talk about customer service above and beyond the call of duty!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Wested's Indy jackets - they're a real class act...

BTMead

New in Town
Man, am I glad I found this forum! I have been considering buying an Indy Jacket from Wested for about a month now and am convinced I want one. The only problem is, they don't offer goatskin anymore. So, I need to choose between the cowhide and horsehide, as I don't want the lambskin.

I am looking for a leather that is a little heavier, thicker and tougher than the lambskin, but I also want it to look somewhat similar to the jacket worn by Ford. The pre-distressed cowhide seems to look pretty close and I would imagine it is plenty durable. My main concern with the horsehide is the cost and the fact that horsehide tends to be pretty darn stiff. I don't want a buttery soft leather, but I don't want cardboard either.

I welcome all comments and suggestions.

Thanks for the help all!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
From what I've read over at Club Obi-Wan, Wested's horsehide is not that thick - apprently nothing like some of the mega-tough horsehide used by Aero or Lost Worlds.

Given a choice of predistressed cowhide or horsehide, I'd suggest going for the modest additional cost and getting the horsehide, for two reasons: 1 - Horsehide was widely used for jackets in the 30s, so it's more "accurate" than a modern predistressed leather in terms of replicating what was available in Indy's day. 2 - Horsehide is a rarely used leather for jackets nowadays (hence a good conversation starter), and absolutely unique in its drape, creasing, and general molding-to-you qualities - every horsehide jacket develops an individual, unique character (I know this from my HH A-2). But I can understand the attraction of the predistrssed hide too...

Either way, you're gonna love it!

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange -> Thanks, that's really useful to know. I'm pretty much decided now that when the time (i.e. money!) comes for the A2, I'm going to go withAero or Eastman, but for the Indy jacket (which might come sooner, at this rate), it's going to be Wested. Impressive story re the customer service!

I'm in the same boat as BTMead re wanting something that bit more durable than the lambskin... I guess my formative experiences with leather were all bike leathers (all cow I believe; my leather trenchcoat may be horse, though), so I do have that toughness factor in mind as a standard. I think what I'll do when the cash presents itself is head out to Wested and get measured up there, check out samples of all their leather options and take it from there.

Damn this place, I was only originally looking for a cheapish A2 at one time - now I want the full on period accurate spec.... and a Wested Indy, which has also spiralled into a crazy decision to put together a reasonable Indy costume....! :eek:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hey, it happened to many of us. I also originally wanted one black "bomber jacket", and now have three leather flight jackets and the Wested, two cloth flight jackets, two fedoras, two newsboy caps, two Akubra country hats... And I'm just a lightweight compared to the hardcore jacket and/or hat crowd!

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Hey, it happened to many of us. I also originally wanted one black "bomber jacket", and now have three leather flight jackets and the Wested, two cloth flight jackets, two fedoras, two newsboy caps, two Akubra country hats... And I'm just a lightweight compared to the hardcore jacket and/or hat crowd!

I gather in the rehab community the folks on this website would be known as "enablers." :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's thinner and softer than my other leathers, but reasonably tough. I wore my Raiders jacket for years, including some light hiking, and never had a problem aside from a few scratches and abrasions (which only served to give it more character). Mine only tore because it somehow got caught on the corner of my car door when it was slamming, and it made an awful V-shaped gash... I don't think that goatskin or the heavier hides would have torn this way in the same instance.

So I'd say it's just a bit more fragile than the other hides, but it also has a very soft "hand", delicate grain, and a wonderfully soft drape. I love my Raiders in lambskin - it's a perfect summer-weight leather jacket. I break my goatskin flight jackets out when things cool off...

taggers

New in Town
Hey gang.

Just a quick one to say I got a Wested "Das Boot" Coat the other day, I'll post pic.s in the right place when I get the chance.

It took 6 weeks and I did nearly give up in the middle. Not rude, not unhelpful, just, er, chaotic really.

Still, all concerns vapourised when got the coat. It's a beauty!

I think the extra time and phone calls are the price you pay. It's still a bargain.

It's a shame if their A2 is no good, and I see they have stopped advertising the sheepskin flying jacket (B3?).

They certainly do seem to have a somewhat "homespun" approach. Not sure I dissapprove, but it takes perseverance.

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Great Coat!

With the bump, I want to echo the other comments about Wested. I bought one of their Das Boot jackets last winter, and their customer service and shipping speed was just excellent.

I ultimately ended up going with a different maker's Das Boot style jacket for myself, but my eldest now has the Wested and it has done great service as a "world traveller coat" for her.

Best buy for the money out there!

Trog

Tommer45

One of the Regulars
Figured I'd throw in my own Wested experience. I've owned two Indy style Westeds, one in HH and one in what they call Novapelle cowhide. After owning Langlitz and LW, I was sure that Wested's HH had to be lamb! It was thin, had no stiffness and plenty of drape. Only after calling up Gemma did she confirm that my order was indeed HH. It was also extremely smooth and the leather showed none of the grain typical of horse. The fit was great but very short (just above my beltline) so I sold it. Here's a pic.

IndyJacket018.jpg

The second was in the Novapelle hide. This hide is very nice.. fairly heavy with a great look to it. After some wear and an application of leather dressing the hide really looks sharp. This jacket gets quite a bit of wear. My only complaint is that after the sizing issues with the first jacket, I sent in custom measurements this time and while the jacket length is fine, the upper body fit is worse than my previous off the rack jacket! They also sent me the wrong style than the "film version" I asked for, and the handwarmer pockets are practically useless. Even though it has its issues, I do wear the jacket a lot and it has held up rather well. Would I buy from them again though, probably not. Here's the second jacket brand new...

IndyJacket2011.jpg

IndyJacket2009.jpg

Just remembered... the satin lining in the sleeves has also worn completely through at both elbows and both wrists (all within the first year of use).

Tommer

bobjones

A-List Customer
BTMead said:
Man, am I glad I found this forum! I have been considering buying an Indy Jacket from Wested for about a month now and am convinced I want one. The only problem is, they don't offer goatskin anymore. So, I need to choose between the cowhide and horsehide, as I don't want the lambskin.

I am looking for a leather that is a little heavier, thicker and tougher than the lambskin, but I also want it to look somewhat similar to the jacket worn by Ford. The pre-distressed cowhide seems to look pretty close and I would imagine it is plenty durable. My main concern with the horsehide is the cost and the fact that horsehide tends to be pretty darn stiff. I don't want a buttery soft leather, but I don't want cardboard either.

I welcome all comments and suggestions.

Thanks for the help all!

I have a Gibson and Barnes Expedition in seal brown goatskin, and it is a superb lightweight leather jacket, just wore it yesterday, in fact - and it's June, no less.

I have it in goat, which is still very lightweight, but the lambskin must be like a feather. Ask them for samples if you want to see for yourself, or you can order a jacket in lamb or goat for sizing purposes, and then return it, it is common practice with them. I got the goat, which is Baluchistan - the best goat available - because it is very strong even though it is almost as light as lamb. The goat does have a pebbly texture though, compared to the smoothness of the lamb.

Since you are in the US, you might want to check them out since there obviously would not be any customs charges...

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_expedition.html

Might be a bit more than Wested, but the product quality is superb, plus the stitching and leather are lifetime guaranteed, IIRC.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Here's my Wested Horsehide

I purchased this custom Wested Raiders in horsehide about a year ago. It was a bit of a challenge at first (they lost my order), but I kept thinking what a great bargain it was for a custom horsehide jacket (far less than anything else), so I re-entered the order and it took about 4 weeks for production and shipping.

First, I like the style of it, but I'm not one of the obsessive Raiders jacket fanatics always chasing the impossible dream of a "screen accurate" jacket, which ain't gonna happen.

Owning two Aero FQHH jackets, let me say that there is a HUGE difference in the hides used to make the Wested's. It was never stiff, not near as thick, and the finish is such that it shows very little distressing -- unlike Aero. In fact, if there were one thing I would suggest to Wested it would be to get hides with a finish that distressed easier. It shows creasing far faster than the Aero, however, which is points in its favor there.

I don't do any of the fake distressing that's so popular with Indy jacket fans, and which almost never looks real. I've worn mine in some pretty good downpours, and that helped soften it up (although it didn't need it much), but it really brought out a lot of grain, which unfortunately doesn't show well in these photos. If I had to critique one thing about the Wested, I would say that the cotton lining (supposedly like the original movie jacket) just doesn't seem very heavy duty.

So, if you like Indy jackets, Wested is a great choice regardless of hide. If you want an Indy jacket in horse, they're your only choice, and really a bargain.

whhfront.jpg

whhback.jpg

whhsleeve.jpg

whhpocket.jpg

whhcollar.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld