Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

We're here because...

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Geesie said:
I choose to take that as a compliment!

As you should. Had I known there were fellows like this around, back in the day, I may not have been compelled to abandon everything and set off in search of a true gentleman (who still opens the automobile door for me, much to the delight of onlookers). Still, it pleases me, and gives me hope for my daughter's generation. :)

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
ThesFlishThngs said:
everything and set off in search of a true gentleman (who still opens the automobile door for me, much to the delight of onlookers). Still, it pleases me, and gives me hope for my daughter's generation. :)
There are a rare few still here in LA and it makes me happy to know that as well.
Gentlemen continue on :eusa_clap

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I love the style of most things from 1920s-50s and this site fits the bill nicely for me.

In general I am in the suits, general attire, and movie sections the most, since those interest me the most and quite frankly are the ones I want to learn about the most.

I love hats, but well I own enough hats and I don't really need that much more info on them. I can learn a bunch more about suits, vintage clothing, etc, so I spend time there, especially given the really knowledge and helpful people we have on the forum!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
This is the only place to find vintage sewing. I do the gals-only areas, sometimes movies, and sometimes obs bar. Don't touch the rest....

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
ThesFlishThngs said:
Just sayin', Get Atomized, you've got a stellar avatar. ;)
hailey greenhat said:
hold up....is that tom waits?:eek:

Thanks! It sure is Tom Waits. I think he's pretty stellar too! He's completely my ideal of masculinity; I just want to BE him.

Apart from being here for the ladies, I actually read almost every section on the forum, even though I only post in a couple of them. Yes gentlemen, I am reading all your posts. The hats/outerwear/suits/general attire sections have tons and tons of interesting and useful information, even though I have nothing to contribute to the discussions. You guys really fuel my passion for vintage drag, what can I say

Story

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
set off in search of a true gentleman (who still opens the automobile door for me, much to the delight of onlookers).

You just have to go through the right doors. ;)

Inky

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
This is the only place to find vintage sewing. I do the gals-only areas, sometimes movies, and sometimes obs bar. Don't touch the rest....

Ditto what Amy Jeanne said!

I came for the hair tips and stayed for the entire powder room and beauty sections. The gent's areas are just not interesting to me. And of course, I visit the classifieds!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't peek into the guys' areas either. No telling what goes on in there. My main interests involve Golden Era culture, so I keep an eye out for anything that touches on such issues. I do read all the threads in the PR, Beauty, and Radio, of course, and it's always a challenge to keep up.

The main reason I'm here, though, is that no matter how different we might be , the fact that we're here means we have certain things in common. How we express those things is always fascinating.

ThesFlishThngs said:
The gentlemen here are definitely in a league of their own.
So are the ladies, even more so actually.;)

LizzieMaine said:
Gee whiz, you talk about *clothes* in there? I just assumed it was all about beer and football!
You forgot the cars and guns!lol :p

Me, I started nosing around looking for information on idiosyncracies of WWII generals' uniforms (many were not exactly "off the rack" issue, particularly in the upper ranks and in the Pacific), stuck around because of a few contacts that became high-value acquaintances and possibly friends someday, and have stayed because of them and the fact that occasionally the huge amount of historical technology arcana packed into my skull has some use around here. (Search on "Twentieth Century Limited" for an example.)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Gee whiz, you talk about *clothes* in there? I just assumed it was all about beer and football!

When I arrived here, I never would have guessed how much some guys knew about clothes. There's a sticky in the OB called "Historically Great Threads" with links to threads that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know, and then some, about vintage clothing and grooming.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

Is there such a thing as Golden Era Football still being played? Y’know, with leather helmets, sweaters, and lots of mud? I might go to see that!

-Dave

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Personally I am here for reading and sharing information on WWII flying, pilots, aeroplanes, stories and gear - which takes me straight to another room:
Outerwear - where most stuff about Irvin jackets and A2's are.

Exactly the same with me, but then you'd know that Soren ;)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I noticed that I tend to hang around the Beauty and Powder Room forums the most, but I just read whatever catches my eye. Usually, I click on the new posts link at the top and scroll through the threads to see what's happ'nin'. But I'm here because the style of the 40s and 50s fits me better than any other and that's mostly it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld