Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well now I went and done it, my engineer quest

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
You guys and gals saw my previous threads on my U.S. made engineer quest.

Thought I had it all figured out with Chippewa 27899s that arrived in fine shape after getting a defective pair.

But on a lark, I bought some used Red Wing 2268s off Ebay. Someone had them blacked out at the heel, but I kinda like the look. In any event, if I keep these, I live in L.A. so can take them to Brian at Role Club for an upgrade. I'm thinking a nice block heel with that beautiful dark wood and new RC soles. I'd want to keep the steel toe, since I ride.

My only hesitancy is they are a bit tight at size 9. I am typically a 9.5 E in Red Wings. But I took the insole out of these and my smaller left foot feels fine. My dominate and larger right foot is snug in the boot but feels like it will get better with more break in.

These boots are PT99s and appear hardly used.

IMG_2199_zpsrmqdga7v.jpg

IMG_2197_zpsoqiildl6.jpg

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Hi Slim. Good to see you post here again. These boots look pretty good as is I think...not sure I would do anything to them. I saw your posts on another forum when you reviewed the FuelPak FP3. I have installed one on my Deluxe too and have been happy with it. Are you still running yours and has it been pretty much trouble free? Sorry to hear you had to sell the Ace engineers you had. They were very nice boots indeed.

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Hey Mike. Nice to see ya here.

My FP3 is running without a hitch. It's been so trouble free I forget it's there. Bike runs great too.

I did really dig those Ace engineers, but I had so many insoles loaded in them to make them fit, it just seemed silly. If I only knew about guys like Brian with Role Club back then, I might have taken them to him. Grrr.

I'm digging these Red Wings and I like the black out look. But they are a bit tight now as a size 9. So I am considering Brian for that, as much as anything.

I'll wear them for a while around the house though and see if they break in. I think I'm only like a half size away from comfort so maybe the leather will conform a bit. They were hardly worn, it seems.

I'll also keep my Ebay eyes open for other 2268s in size 9.5 or 10, which is what I actually need. I just don't like heel on them when not blacked out like the ones I bought. But that is fixable if I find the right 2268s.

Edward

Bartender
I'd be wary of spending a lot on "upgrading" boots that aren't a perfect fit. They look good, though. I find RedWing engineers really nice as standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe