Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wear My Vintage Hats in the Rain?

mad_mod

New in Town
Ok, so I am a newbie to this lounge and to vintage hats. I now own 3 vintage
Dobbs and 1 vintage Knox fedoras that I really like. I am unsure of the material on each and being vintage I have avoided wearing them in any precipitation. What is everyone's opinion on wearing in the rain? (I am considering a vintage Dynafelt just so I have a poor weather hat)

How can I tell the fur/felt content of my hats? Also, is there a good way
to date them?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have six wonderful "super fedoras" that I have converted out of fur felt western hats ... Resistol mostly ... and they are terrific for wearing in wet weather, in rough conditions, when traveling ... all the times when you don't want to put your good vintage hats at jeopardy.
That way you can keep the Dobbs, Knox, Whippets, etc. for wearing when you are relatively safe.
The converted westerns can take a lot more distress than anything else out there.

Sam

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I wear quality vintage fedoras in the rain without any problems.

If you post pictures of your fedoras we can probably tell you their age and general composition. Welcome to the Lounge!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Depends on how heavy the rain and how old the hat. A light drizzle is harmless. Soaking any hat isn't going to do it any good. While it won't do permanent damage to the felt, it may possibly shrink or lose form and the ribbon trimmings can also be affected(shrink or fray). A dirty hat can also leave spots or rings when it dries--again not irreparable-but requires a clean and block to remedy.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Rule of thumb (for me): if the hat was purchased as a collectible then don't wear in the rain. If it was purchased for wearing, then go for it, it can (probably, really heavy rain is a major task for any felt hat and should be approached cautiously) take it just fine.

How can I tell the fur/felt content of my hats? Also, is there a good way
to date them?

The best way to "determine" the fur/felt content of a given hat body is to rely on a manufacturers statements if they have been good enough to let you know either through advertising or some sort of correspondence (or insider information). Hard to do for classic hats unless there was detailed advertising. You really can't do it manually by staring at the hat and rubbing it or anything.

Alternatively, you could have a patch of the hat removed and scientifically analyzed for different types of fibers?!?! Realms of imagination here, but I imagine it would work, although I doubt anyone has tried it.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alternatively, you could have a patch of the hat removed and scientifically analyzed for different types of fibers?!?! Realms of imagination here, but I imagine it would work, although I doubt anyone has tried it.

I believe fellow Lounger BanjoMerlin has actually done a little homework on this subject by studying different types and qualities of fur under microscope.

mad_mod

New in Town
Thanks for all the great replies!!! Viewing under a microscope, now that I never thought of.
While that would definitely be cool, probably a bit overkill for my hats anyways.
Based on all the responses, looks like maybe I have a "good" reason to buy another hat for poor wather wear :)
I will take some photos of the hats and post them to see if anyone can help date them. Thanks everyone!

EggHead

Practically Family
Here is how to determine hats content experimentally - get a rabbit, hare, beaver and sheep, space them out in a circle evenly, put a hat in the middle and observe!
Caution: don't replace sheep with a goat, goat will eat the hat.
:)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Depends on how heavy the rain and how old the hat. A light drizzle is harmless. Soaking any hat isn't going to do it any good. While it won't do permanent damage to the felt, it may possibly shrink or lose form and the ribbon trimmings can also be affected(shrink or fray). A dirty hat can also leave spots or rings when it dries--again not irreparable-but requires a clean and block to remedy.

This would be the reply I agree more completely with. I committed the mistake of wearing my Resistol "Kitten Finish" under some rain that turned to be more of a downpour. The hat was soaked through. I would say the felt recovered well, but not the sweatband; the thread rotted and the leather became fragile to the point of ripping when I tried to turn it out. Agreed, undoubtly it must have been already deteriorated, and the soaking just finished it, but not exposing it to the worst would have spared me the refurb, not to speak of the lost for good original sweatband.

So I say wear your hats, but do not expose a vintage hat unnecessarily.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I prefer to wear my vintage lids in the rain than modern - I know the vintage will withstand it, but I've heard horror stories with modern hats (shrinking, dye running, etc.)

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Even if one has a belief in the near indestructibility of "vintage" felt, ribbons are cotton and rayon(it does shrink when wet and dried) and sweatbands are leather and both are attached with cotton/rayon/silk thread. Age and wet/dry stress all these things(as well as sweat and heat). Would a person wear a nice suit and tie or vintage leather jacket in a downpour with no protection by choice? Paranoia isn't necessary-- just common sense.

Last edited:

Lokar

A-List Customer
If there's heavy rain (which, unlike my home country, happens almost never - about three times in the four years I've lived in Sweden), I'd have an umbrella. The small amount of rain we get is never a problem (although I do often take an umbrella) apart from the cold during the winter months, but I'd have a coat for that obviously.

I'm not reckless with my hats, and if/when I move back to the UK, I'd be more careful.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
My comments were not addressed toward any particular individual- I apologize for my lack of clarity in that regard(universal "you"-now edited). I agree with you--they are quite durable in most cases and more stable than many modern hats.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
"You really can't do it manually by staring at the hat and rubbing it or anything."

I've had some success staring at my hats, but I'm not trying to determine their makeup: I merely try to rebash them, Uri Geller style.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I haven't found a felt that did not exhibit improvement after exposure to a good soaking rain.

Having said that, yes, RLK is right, repeated wet/dry cycles will eventually shrink your hat. Better felts will be relatively more resiliant.

As for the vintage leather jacket. Wipe off any surface water with a towel and give it a quick http://obenaufs.com/ Obenauf's treatment. Your leather will love you. :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I prefer to wear my vintage lids in the rain than modern - I know the vintage will withstand it, but I've heard horror stories with modern hats (shrinking, dye running, etc.)

Yes, but it depends on the brand of hat. Most of today's customs are of extreme high quality, if you can bear the thought of wearing a $300+ rain hat. Akubras are known for their ability to withstand rough weather, including rain and snow, and they are a relatively great deal for what you get.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wore my vintage 1940s/1950s Stetson in some severe downpour, at least twice, and it remains looking absolutely fine. There are going to be those that advise against this, but I don't really mind it. My Federation has always been more of my hard rain hat anyway, but I wanted to put the Stetson to the test of standing up to the elements for a while.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
I believe fellow Lounger BanjoMerlin has actually done a little homework on this subject by studying different types and qualities of fur under microscope.

I should have retained my microscope set given me in Elementary school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld