Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WARNING! Controversial poll ahead,...

Creation or evolution?

• Creation? Divine Design?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evolution? Accidental design?

• A combination of both ideas?

• No opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
I have a complete and total inability to ascribe to any notion of supernatural powers. Therefore creation is out (i know, people will argue that God is a natural power). I also have issues with the soul, and any postulated meaning for life. It smacks of man trying desparately to drag himself out of the animal kingdom. Life is life. Nothing more. You live, then you die. no reason for it. Just like all other living things.

I'm an evolution man. Total, random, accidental evolution.

bk

:eusa_clap

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability."
Oscar Wilde
Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)

"God made everything out of nothing, but the nothingness shows through."
Paul Valery
French critic & poet (1871 - 1945)

and who was it that said:

"If there was no God, man would find a need to creat one"

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
LaMedicine said:
Mike K. said:
The bottom line is this...evolution explains how I got here, the Bible explains why I am here. I believe in one God and I accept that evolution is a part of His creative handiwork.
You've hit the nail, and your explanation is as concise and explicit as can be, couldn't be stated any better, and as a medical doctor, I agree wholeheartedly:eusa_clap .

I second that, as do those in my medical classes whom I've gotten to know well enough to discuss it with.

dr greg

One Too Many
think about it

I have only one thing to say on this subject, so look away ladies as I point out that if some supernatural being designed humans in his own image, then why are the reproductive organs of the male hanging dangerously exposed OUTSIDE the body, where they can be damaged or removed by accident or enemy? Seeing as how the continuation of the species is pretty much the most important function of any organism, would not an 'intelligent designer ' have placed them somewhere more protected?
I rest my case.

jake431

Practically Family
I've never understood how people don't believe in Evolution yet they are quite comfortable flying somewhere, trusting the theories of physics to explain how a plane works, even though they can't "see" it working, or proof of it working, or to explain the internal combusion engine working, even though they can never personally "see" the fuel and air mix and combust. Faith in God and the gift of reason bestowed upon Man seems awfully selective viewed in that light, imho.

-Jake

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
My,oh my,...

Such a lively discussion that has transpired in my absence. :)
Now that I'm back from that place that I must go every day and do whatever it is I do there for greenbacks,(perhaps I need to evolve a tad more?) I can jump back in.

And it just so happens that I have thought of another point that I have not seen mentioned.
This is certain to stir the pot of discussion a bit more. ;)
The thing I noticed throughout the thread so far, is that most people assume that the earth is billions of years old! But really,... how can we know for sure?
If the earth is really that old, it forms a convenient time frame for justifying the notion that life could have just happened by accident, no Creator. Or perhaps yes, He just took His good old time? Or perhaps the earth is much younger than is commonly assumed? The fact is, no one could possibly know for sure, not having actually witnessed the formation of the planet.
Also, I feel that such dating techniques as the so-called carbon dating method are flawed. I heard of an experiment once wherein a researcher dated a living snail as being 2000 years old! Also recent work with Tyranosaur bones has yielded actual soft tissue in material that is supposedly 65 million years old! Dinosaur fossils had always previously been thought to be completely mineralized due to their supposed great age.
I could never really trust the assumptions made by many,(but not all) scientists as being gospel truth, and now researchers are beginning to challenge the old scientific dogma.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, I know I'm going to have people thinking I'm crazy on this, but this is how it stands in my head:

I believe in Creation. I also think the Creator is a heck of a lot smarter what we give him credit for. So, I believe that creation was created how we might consider it to be mature- even to the scientific eye to be millions of years old.

To think that God created something bright and shiny and had creatures fend for themselves would be cruel in my mind. I believe he created them to have innate traits based on the earth he had created. So it's like a big complex zigsaw puzzle with no pieces missing, but the ability created within a species for the adaptions over long periods of time within the envoronment created in maturity.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't you dare knock Daniel Rocket! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091858/

How bout this?
batboy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member