Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage vs. Late Model

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
It's not cheap even for Vintage.

I am amassing a collection of vintage that I clean up and put up for sale in a Vintage category in my store. I must say, I really enjoy getting these old dirty hats, and then the finished product when they are cleaned up and shaped. I feel they are MUCH more rewarding than new hats. The felt is awesome, and I have seen NOTHING new that comes close. If I received a new hat in the dirty condition I get some of these old ones, I bet it wouldn't even clean up as well. So, because of a much higher quality, I too pay much more for vintage hats than I pay for new ones. Building this collection is not "small potatoes", but I feel that these hats have to be brought back to life and be made available to those who truly appreciate their value.

tonyb said:
Yes, fur-felt hats were made to protect the wearer from the elements. Still, I wanna cry when I think of a couple of great old hats I bought cheap 25 or 30 years ago and the treatment I subjected them to.

Yeah, you and me both. Hahahhahah! lol
You should see my grandfather's Whippet. I would fix it but it is only a 6 7/8. So it stays as it is with the sweatband a mess, liner falling out and thin felt at the front of the pinch. [huh]

Regards to all,

J

Wet happens:

eth33rain.jpg

ronin

New in Town
Not-Bogart13 said:
Ronin,

Is this impressive hat a dress fedora, or a western hat? I hear the westerns are much more durable. I'd be interested to know because my Stetson Downs does not like wet weather!
NB

Not, it actually is a Downs, Caribou in color. I'm finding it perfectly serviceable as a daily hat for questionable weather. Would reserve another hat for say a Sunday-best.

The only reason I'm doing the 'destructive testing' that is turning out to be not so destructive is that the hat was very cheap, and there is a certain amount of disparaging new models a unusable, and rather than accept hearsay I wanted to see for myself.

I'm betting that in the 30s and 40s people were talking about how much better hats were 40 years before (and they were probably right). But I'm also betting people wore their hats daily, and they didn't buy additional ones to keep in the closet. They were used, and after a while although showing some wear they continued to use them. I'm betting the reality was that just as people wear shoes or suits until they wore out, so did men wear their hats.

I'm sure the quality of felt was better in the 40s. I'm just not finding the self -destruction I was led to expect. Of course, maybe I'm speaking too soon. Let's see what happens in another 6 and 12 months.

ronin said:
Not, it actually is a Downs, Caribou in color. I'm finding it perfectly serviceable as a daily hat for questionable weather. Would reserve another hat for say a Sunday-best.

The only reason I'm doing the 'destructive testing' that is turning out to be not so destructive is that the hat was very cheap, and there is a certain amount of disparaging new models a unusable, and rather than accept hearsay I wanted to see for myself.

I'm betting that in the 30s and 40s people were talking about how much better hats were 40 years before (and they were probably right). But I'm also betting people wore their hats daily, and they didn't buy additional ones to keep in the closet. They were used, and after a while although showing some wear they continued to use them. I'm betting the reality was that just as people wear shoes or suits until they wore out, so did men wear their hats.

I'm sure the quality of felt was better in the 40s. I'm just not finding the self -destruction I was led to expect. Of course, maybe I'm speaking too soon. Let's see what happens in another 6 and 12 months.

Generally you won't see fading in a Stetson that is basically natural in color. If your hat were a black or dark blue then you would see fading. Drastic fading. I have a friend who had his fade quite a bit even after wearing just once in a while.
They won't really self destruct after the first year. It takes about two. ;) You'll see if you wear it regularly. :D The liner goes first then the sweatband fades so you can't see the writing. After that either the sweatband or the ribbon will start coming loose. Yeah, I have had a few experiences myself. :rolleyes:
Keep reporting back. I want to see if they have actually gotten better than the junk they were producing five years ago. Things could change but I'm from Missouri when it comes to that. lol

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe