Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

Today's Rant: Work Ethic.

So, after the holiday season, we're usually pretty busy over on the Natural Side of the plant. My friend and myself usually are the only volunteers to fill in over there and pull some extra hours.

My friend turned down the extra work, because his wife said so. Then, three coworkers decided to go home, so they could watch the Packer game, leaving us short-staffed.

Since when is a football game more important than making a living? Especially a time and a half living? It was instilled in me from a young age to live by the motto 'Make as much money as you can, while you can.' It just blows my mind how many people just don't wanna work.

It seems like when you hear stories about the older generations, all they did was work, that was what their life revolved around. Maybe that's just a stereotype, but I've always considered that old-fashioned work ethic to be the kind of criteria to live up to.

End Rant.

So, after the holiday season, we're usually pretty busy over on the Natural Side of the plant. My friend and myself usually are the only volunteers to fill in over there and pull some extra hours.

My friend turned down the extra work, because his wife said so. Then, three coworkers decided to go home, so they could watch the Packer game, leaving us short-staffed.

Since when is a football game more important than making a living? Especially a time and a half living? It was instilled in me from a young age to live by the motto 'Make as much money as you can, while you can.' It just blows my mind how many people just don't wanna work.

It seems like when you hear stories about the older generations, all they did was work, that was what their life revolved around. Maybe that's just a stereotype, but I've always considered that old-fashioned work ethic to be the kind of criteria to live up to.

End Rant.

Amen! Unfortunately, now we have a generation of layabouts and slackers. They want no work and pay.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars

End Rant.
I agree. Why would one pass up work, especially at time and a half. If I remember correctly, when a limited amount of time and a half hours/overtime was available, workers with seniority got first dibs.

That's exactly how it works by us, it's a union shop. I was worried I wouldn't have enough seniority to work, as it was only 3 lines running (the plant has 14 lines) and I was honestly the only person who actually wanted to come in.

I agree. Why would one pass up work, especially at time and a half. If I remember correctly, when a limited amount of time and a half hours/overtime was available, workers with seniority got first dibs.

Slacker or not, don't people have bills?

That isn't that inconceivable. Slackers are gaining momentum through time.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been very lucky at the theatre in finding a group of kids who work whenever I tell them I need them to work -- occasionally there'll be one who'll beg off for a legitimate reason, and I'm very accomodating in such cases, but when I hire them I make three things clear: 1. The Show Must Go On. 2. If they can't work, they themselves are responsible for finding one of the other kids who can substitute. If no one else can cover the shift for them, they have to work, period. 3. The Show Must Go On.

The hard part is that I have to sift thru dozens of applicants to find kids who understand I'm not kidding about this stuff.

The hard part is that I have to sift thru dozens of applicants to find kids who understand I'm not kidding about this stuff.

Now there is the rub. You personally sift through the people you hire so you are working with a pool chosen by you to your specifications. Those of us who have to deal with what someone else hired for God knows what reason usually have a different group of slackers to work with. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Now there is the rub. You personally sift through the people you hire so you are working with a pool chosen by you to your specifications. Those of us who have to deal with what someone else hired for God knows what reason usually have a different group of slackers to work with. :p

I noticed the same thing thirty years since. I determined that I should try to put myself into a position where I could hire my own subordinates, and so I have, except for the few instances when I needed to use a "Temp" service, or a union hiring hall. Even these services allow one to pick one's permanent associates, though. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have to deal with a bureaucracy made up of so-called "Human resources professionals". Well, I actually can imagine it. (shudders)

End Rant.

That's why I also work another program after work for an additional fifteen plus hours a week. The program probably won't last forever, but it pays pretty well (even though they cut our pay by a third) and the money is welcomed. It makes life a little bit easier even if the twelve hour days get kind of long.
:D

fashion frank

One Too Many

End Rant.

Boy I can relate to this poster's comment's.

I have been working 12 hours days for the last two weeks and it's because my co workers don't want to work at night after their eight hour shift.

My old man used to tell me the same thing ,I have to assume that your old man told you the same thing too ,because we see it exactly the same way .

People are out of work everywhere and these jamoke's don't even want O.T. go figure?

All the Best , Fashion Frank

I have been working 12 hours days for the last two weeks and it's because my co workers don't want to work at night after their eight hour shift.

My old man used to tell me the same thing ,I have to assume that your old man told you the same thing too ,because we see it exactly the same way .

People are out of work everywhere and these jamoke's don't even want O.T. go figure?

Jamoke's haven't heard that term in years.... However hear is one I have heard and use quit often LAZY SONS OF BITCHES!

CCJ

Like you said, plenty of people are out of work so work is work wherever you find it and can stay working.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Soon to disappear: grown-adult signatures on our nation's currency.
Our new Treasury Secretary, ladies and gentleman, coming soon to the lower-right-hand-corner of paper money near you.

Oh, I wouldn't be too sure. He will probably do what Tim Geithner did, which was to change his signature to make it more legible.

I can't point fingers about legibility of signatures. When I was eight years old the librarian at my city library thought my last name was George, not Yeager. It still looks the same! I do modify it as necessary depending upon what it is I'm signing.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'll bet a dollar legibly signed by Henry Morgenthau Jr. that the next Treasury Secretary after this new guy signs with an "X."

Maybe not that soon, but with more and more states deciding that teaching cursive is not important at some point the signature will be a printed name. Whethere or not that will itself be legible remains to be seen.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Maybe not that soon, but with more and more states deciding that teaching cursive is not important at some point the signature will be a printed name. Whether or not that will itself be legible remains to be seen.
I have heard about that and wondered, "Well, how are they going to give e a signature to a legal document?" I asked my 8 year old's teacher if they will be teaching it to him next year, so far it seems they will. I am prepared to teach my boys in any case.

ortega76

Practically Family

End Rant.

Hmm. Let me post another, admittedly rarer side of things. I am of the mindset that I work hard and I play hard. While I am not adverse to overtime when it has been offered, I've certainly turned it down on numerous occasions. Why? Because I value my personal and family time above most other things. I think my work ethic is pretty laudable. I show up early, don't slack off and don't leave projects unfinished. If I'm approached about OT ahead of time or it's a real emergency, I'm in. But when my shift is up, I am long gone. I'm not putzing around in the office or locker room. I can't wait to get home to my wife and daughter.

I know that I've sacrificed money for that time but I'm fine with that. As one of my favorite authors has written, “They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld