Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The truest sign of modern folly I know; people driving to the gym to exercise.

Hi Flicka

In our defense, there are places we live that driving to work out will make our projected life-span longer than attempting to cross certain intersections to work out. At least with the car, we have metal around us when we get hit. Most of America isn't built to walk in. The place in LA with the escalators to the entrance, well, you're got us there.

Later

To be fair to California, when I lived there, I never owned a car -- I had a bike for about two hours, though. I rode it down to Thrifty's to buy a lock, and when I came out it had been stolen. So the rest of the time I was out there, I walked.

Funny, I always have nightmares about buying a new smoke detector and my house burns down while I'm on my way home from the store. :p

green papaya

One Too Many
Buy a dog. I am not joking or jesting. I got the idea from a very wealthy Hollywood producer in the forties who had to buy a little dog so he could take his after dinner constitutional in Beverly Hills without being stopped by the police.

I use to walk my Doberman for many years and seldom got stopped, except one time when I was running with the dog on a leash and the police stopped me and asked why I was running?

green papaya

One Too Many
HI

What do you / did you usually tell them? I'd have probably mentioned none of your bleeping business. 3AM walks are a little more suspicious, but them my Mom's neighbor and a couple of Friends go running every morning at 5 AM in Small town Illinois. Would "none of your business" have gotten you hauled in?

later

I usually just say Im going for a walk or using the track to run a few laps, and have to explain I walk here all the time, and this isnt even late in the evening, I usually go out after dinner between 7 - 10 pm at the latest, I never walk around town much later than 10 pm

if it was past midnight I could understand it might looks suspicious, but I dont go for walks that late at night

I would never say it's none of your business, then they would probably hassle me even more and ask to see some ID

since I dont have a dog anymore I guess they cant figure out what Im doing walking alone, and Im usually wearing running shoes, gym shorts, t-shirt

Last edited:
Hi Flicka

In our defense, there are places we live that driving to work out will make our projected life-span longer than attempting to cross certain intersections to work out. At least with the car, we have metal around us when we get hit. Most of America isn't built to walk in. The place in LA with the escalators to the entrance, well, you're got us there.

Later

You ever try to cross a street in Rome? :p

Flicka

One Too Many
You ever try to cross a street in Rome? :p

But you have to hand it to the Romans - once you put your foot on the street they hit the breaks and let you cross. You just have to very firmly manifest that you are crossing the street and consequences be damned. Call them on their bluff, so to speak. :p

However, I still think it's madness to construct cities for cars rather than people. Back in the day people walked or rode bicycles everywhere, but now a lot of people just sit still in their cars while stressing. There are major negative health consequences from that change in lifestyle...

But you have to hand it to the Romans - once you put your foot on the street they hit the breaks and let you cross. You just have to very firmly manifest that you are crossing the street and consequences be damned. Call them on their bluff, so to speak. :p

However, I still think it's madness to construct cities for cars rather than people. Back in the day people walked or rode bicycles everywhere, but now a lot of people just sit still in their cars while stressing. There are major negative health consequences from that change in lifestyle...

Riiiiggghhht. And after a six week stay in the hospital..... :p

It wasn't necessarily for cars but for room. Big cities are always constructed on top of each other but the suburbs was and is a place for stretching out and not having your neighbor's nose in your business every second. :p 1/4 of an acre is the minimum for me. I like room and privacy. That kind of room requires wide streets and cars to get you from there to work and shopping.

Gee whiz, I've got four neighbors and a junkyard within 1/4 of an acre. Suburbia would feel like living in the middle of the Gobi Desert to me.

Holy Crimony! I cannot imagine that much stuffed into such a small space! That is why I live on this coast. They overbuilt out there---intensely.:eeek::eusa_doh:
Your neighbors are so close they can see every little thing you do. :eeek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You aren't kidding.

Then they get in accidents and both drivers get out and duke it out in the street. The sidewalk cafe patrons love a free show. :rofl:

Rome is a crazy, crazy town! The traffic is absolutely insane! I mean I know every big city has its issues, but over there, you could set your watch to the number of ambulance-sirens you could hear every day. Not one or two, four or five...I was counting dozens every single day! And I was there less than a week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82